So what do you vegetarians do on a Tuesday?

Have you tried Kalamata Olives?
I love most olives but these are my absolute favourite

2 Likes

I wondered what the hell is a Butternut Squash and discovered it is a pumpkin.

When I first came to Australia in the 60s the first meal I sat down to at the guest house I was staying at had this strange orange vegetable. I asked what it was and was told “pumpkin”, my farmer uncle used to grow pumpkin for pigs

For the next 50 years I never ate it because it was synonymous with pig food, if it was on my plate I just left it. Recently I started buying these $5 meals which included pumpkin so I tried it. I can’t say it is something I really enjoy but unlike cabbage and other green vegetables it is not unpleasant so now I eat it.

As for soup:

This line from a play rather sums up my feelings - “I never understood soup, you don’t need a knife and fork to eat it so it is not food so it must be a drink in which case I’d rather have a schooner”

Too much cheese last thing at night …Most athletes that I have associated with (including me) never eat cheese. To many fats.
:running_man:

Butternut Squash and Pumpkin are similar but not quite the same - they don’t taste the same to me.

1 Like

No you are quite right I should have said Butternut Pumpkin is A pumpkin (oh! I did).

1 Like

I don’t even know why I read this thread…
Perhaps it’s because it’s either this or discussing the rules, and this seems a modicum more exciting…

2 Likes

That is a matter of opinion OGF lol

Aren’t forums made up of 70% Opinions, 10% speculation, 10% fact,10% utter bollix…and 10% downright lies!

2 Likes

Discussing the finer points of when is a Gourd a Squash or a Pumpkin is infinitely more exciting!
Even more exciting when you add in the other Cucurbits, like melons and cucumbers. :joy: :cucumber:
:rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

I must admit to finding the breakdown of a Gourd into it’s component parts very compelling and at my next visit to Tesco I have decided to add ‘Baxters’ Butternut squash soup onto my next weeks lunch menu Boot…
:yum:

2 Likes

Haha. That bad huh? :joy:

1 Like

I hear they do a nice spicy version with added lentils - I haven’t tried it but let me know what you think if you do. :bowl_with_spoon:

1 Like

The wife of the (in)famous Queensland Premier Joh Bjelke-Petersen was famous for her pumpkin scones.

I suspect she would have used Queensland Blue Pumpkin.

2 Likes

Those look really good, Bruce. Our local newsagent used to order Australian Women’s Weekly for me as I found it to be a really interesting magazine - and the recipes were brilliant. Unfortunately the shop changed hands and the new manager won’t even try to order it.

Many, many years ago It went from being weekly to monthly but retained the name, I used to buy it each month to send to my mother in the UK until just before she died. She enjoyed it very much. I think I still have some Women’s Weekly Cookbooks but I never use them these days.

I was surprised to discover it is still going.

1 Like

They are excellent - used to be sold in W H Smith over here - and I collected quite a few because they were so good - but - haven’t seen them for a while. The magazine was so interesting - it was the only so called ‘women’s’ magazine I ever bought.

It has been a busy day in the bulk, processed food department!

I discovered four more left over Spanish Chorizo sausages from Christmas so I bought more spuds and made four spicy bangers and mash meals. These sausages are really just pork and beef sausages with paprika and chilli but I love spicy food (guaranteed no bread like you pommies are so fond of in your sausages - never knew whether to butter or fry English sausages :wink:)

Used the air fryer for the sausages and onion because the weather is too miserable to use the BBQ. This time mashed the potatoes with pepper, Australian milk and butter. Threw in a few veggies and four more meals are in the fridge waiting for the freezer tonight.

Will intersperse the meals I buy in with these little gourmet delights.

2 Likes

You might want ketchup with that. :lying_face:

Some of you might want to watch a recent episode of Australian Masterchef (think It was on BBC3 so can see it on iplayer). One contestant took a really beautiful and top drawer expensive piece of beef, shoved it into a mincer and made spagh bol. Finesse indeed!! Another took a different cut and failed to cook it at all away from being raw so nobody could actually eat it and the poor animal had died for nothing.

Great idea. Not fond of ketchup prefer the spicier BBQ or HP