Snow news is bad news

Yes woke up this morning to see this white coating everwhere. how people can enjoy this cold weather beats me

1 Like

I totally agree! Excess warmth, in Summer, is merely discomfort. Excess cold, in Winter, is physical pain.

1 Like

I agree as well. The cold makes me shut down and be a bit grumpy. Snow is pretty to look at, but not so great to have to deal with.

I grew up in Scotland up in the hills. We had quite a lot of lot of snow. Loved it. Walked for miles in the hills with my dog - no, not Max!

I love it as does my son. It’s probably because it’s a bit of a novelty down here in Sussex.

1 Like

Hmm, well I spent some time in Banffshire…the winters there are long and drawn out, with snow drifts 6ft high and roads blocked for weeks. The novelty value wears off fast. :joy:

On the west coast there’s a flurry or two and a bit of covering (which makes everything grind to a halt, naturally), but it goes away after a day or two. Such a contrast.

1 Like

No snow here in North Yorkshire :frowning:

Well, as I’ve mentioned before we’ll hopefully be moving to Scotland next year, my attitude to snow might change drastically although I don’t think so, famous last words :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Of out interest what part of Scotland do you intend to be moving to?

Glasgow Besoeker, Bearsden or MilnGavie area hopefully, we have family up there.

We had proper snow in 1963:

Even the sea froze:

2 Likes

I watched a Youtube video about that Winter…historic by all accounts! :scream: Loving that giant snowdrift :smiley:

Kids built “igloos”:

No fancy jackets and boots - just wellies and a jumper … :snowflake:

3 Likes

That igloo is fantastic! Look at the snow bricks…very well done! And yes, children were made of sterner stuff back then!

3 Likes

“Back then”?? It was only two days ago :joy::joy:

1 Like

Not such a bad areas if I may say so. I have in Glasgow quite on business but have never stayed there. Most of my trips have been on the East coast.

2 Likes

These areas are rather nice, Besoeker…a little bit posh ya know! The east coast is interesting…my daughter lives in Edinburgh and wouldn’t return back to the west coast at all. :woman_shrugging:

We are well into summer and the forecast this morning has snow falling on the southern alps - nearly a white Christmas - very strange weather. Where has summer gone? just three years ago the country was ablaze.

El Nino isn’t it down your way.Up here it’s normal people just forget winter is supposed to be cold at times

In was listening to Jeremy Vine on radio 2 earlier, and he was talking about why the Brits seem so unprepared when faced with winter weather. To help look for suggestions, he had someone from Iceland to explain what they do up there that means they don’t have so many prangs nor travel issues. They have a law which makes it mandatory to put winter tyres on.

Obviously, if one does live in arctic weather for months on end, that would make sense. Indeed, Iceland has around 320,000 registered vehicles which makes it doable. Not quite sure how well the UK would cope with its 33million cars on the road, nor where the 132million tyres/wheels would be stored safely while not in use, nor whether it’s really necessary for the 2-3 weeks per year that we occasionally have a bit of snow and ice.