Smoking to be Banned

Any child in New Zealand 14 years old or younger will never legally be sold tobacco. I wonder how big tobacco will scream. The Kiwis have leaped ahead of Australia.

3 Likes

It’s 18 in the U.K. .i am surprised they are so behind .

1 Like

Doesn’t stop them from smoking though!

1 Like

@SilverTabby
Yep, as a 14 year old, anti legislation would have made some kids want to smoke more, some kids are like that.

3 Likes

I get the impression New Zealand is the first country to bring in a lifetime ban on selling tobacco products to anyone born after a certain year?

It would be great to bring up a whole generation in which nobody is dependent on nicotine and could break the cycle of developing the habit/addiction for future generations - if it works, good on them.
Even if it reduces the number of people taking up the habit when they are young, it will be worth it.

Banning products opens up more “black market” outlets, though - there’s always been a ban on selling illegal drugs to anyone but every new generation has a percentage of people that find their way to buying them on the illegal black market.

They’ve been discussing this legislation for some time, so I expect they’ve thought through all the different aspects already.

3 Likes

Are you saying 18 year olds in the UK cannot buy tobacco for the rest of their life?

They should move to Holland. You can legally smoke anything there!

1 Like

I think Muddy meant you have to be 18 over here before you are allowed to buy tobacco. I see kids being asked for ID all the time when they ask for it.

I think its a great law that NZ have brought in and wish we did it as well.

I wonder if it will ever happen for alcohol :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I hope not.

That is the same as NZ and Australia so I really don’t get her point.

1 Like

That is quite an impressive piece of legislation. Of course, it won’t actually stop people smoking, but it’s certainly going to make it very difficult for them. I hope it has a big impact in NZ, and other countries follow suit.

1 Like

But I thought smokers were less likely to catch Covid.

1 Like

I read that too…but you are also more likely to die of something else :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I can foresee the sale of weed taking off in NZ via what we know as county lines.

Research suggests smoking may reduce the risk of contracting Covid. On the other hand smoking definitely “causes cancer, heart disease, stroke, lung diseases, diabetes , and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), which includes emphysema and chronic bronchitis. Smoking also increases risk for tuberculosis, certain eye diseases, and problems of the immune system, including rheumatoid arthritis.”
Health Effects | Smoking and Tobacco Use | CDC.

Smoking is always an attack on your health. Alchohol in small quantities is not. Alchohol in large quantities is. A total ban is sensible for smoking but not for alchohol.

4 Likes

I’ll raise a wee glass to that @Mr_Magoo :wine_glass:

Pix, don’t put ideas in folks heads. :grinning:

1 Like

Imagine the riots, Spitty, if that ever came into force though…it would never happen, the hoi polloi love their whiskey and cigars too much :roll_eyes:

That’s what I am banking on Pix. :grinning:

1 Like

We tried Prohibition of Alcohol. It didn’t work so good. If we did it again, your just creating another underground market. The law of Supply and Demand. :grinning:

2 Likes