Smoking to be Banned

Boardwalk Empire comes to mind :joy:

2 Likes

Having been an ex smoker now for a whole 3 months I could careless if they did away with them all!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

4 Likes

Congratulations! :clap: Bet you feel amazing!

1 Like

Yeah, I’m just wondering why I waited. It hasn’t been as hard as I anticipated. Knock on wood! :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like

This was your time, not then. It worked and long may it continue! :smiley:

1 Like

Don’t worry Danny, it will get easier after the first Five years of giving up. :grinning:

Spitty, he’s doing just fine. Five years indeed! Your body improves within days of quitting, so there :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s been a bit over a month for me now. Occasional twinges, but nothing major.

Well done you, though!

4 Likes

Good for you too Dex, well done! :+1:

2 Likes

As every smoker will agree, they wish they’d never started!!!

Takes years to get in the mindset to finally stop, and zero seconds to actually stop. Weird, eh? Fear of being frightened.

4 Likes

True
or missing something to fill that 5 mins.

1 Like

I stopped in 85, could still have a relapse. :grinning:

1 Like

I was sick of the smell the taste, and I begrudged the money it costs me. It was time. :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like

I hope you never succumb, your body is a temple, Spitty! Remember that. Half man half bike you are now :bike:

1 Like

Quite. Also being a slave to something that we are actually the master of.

We could wax lyrical about all of this, obviously.

Haven’t listened to the op’s video. Is the intention to roll it out so that cigs are banned throughout the country within a few years, so by the time current 14 year olds are legally old enough to buy cigs, there won’t be any in the shops?

1 Like

34e5c47a75db957e4ebce15345197149--funny-things-funny-stuff

1 Like

5 Likes

I wonder what (if any) additional support will be provided to those New Zealanders who haven’t got round to quitting yet?

Had there been today’s knowledge about how much damage smoking does to health I would never have started. As it is I started smoking probably when I was around 15 or 16 and gave up at about 32 (cold turkey too). I needed an incentive so put that money away and eventually treated myself to a brand new, hand-built sports car. Another plus was that in later years, about the age of 62, I had a heart attack and the cardiologist said that had I not stopped smoking I would not be around. That was his clinical comment after all the checks on my heart. Now it’s 43 years’ since giving up smoking and nearly 14 years since that heart attack, so it was definitely a good move to give up smoking.

I hope that New Zealand manages to convince many of the population it’s a good move, I feel there will be many thousands of lives saved.
:thinking: :grinning:

2 Likes

Totally agree Baz. We are all aware that the financial cost to the NHS is a bit of a bogus one due to tax revenue through sales, coupled with savings based on earlier deaths leading to reduced pension payments.

No doubt NZ is now in a position that the books do actually balance a bit better. Good for them, and we live in hope that the UK eventually gets into the same financial position.

2 Likes