Slow cooker for whole joints of beef or pork?

I’m seriously thinking about getting one of these. For those of you who have one, can you tell me if they are good for doing whole joints of beef or pork in them please. Do they cook the meat nice and tender because I find beef can be a bit hit and miss cooking the conventional way. Are they economical to use too.

1 Like

I’m not a cooking expert so will just have to rely on my common sense but wouldn’t it be more economical to use a …

[SIZE=“4”]FAST COOKER[/SIZE]

:smiley:

NO Mark, that would make the meat tough.:lol:

I think you might need cooking lessons. I have seen chefs on the TV and they bash the hell out the meat thereby tenderising it.

Get yourself a big mallet and a …

[SIZE=“4”]FAST COOKER[/SIZE]

Men def have more common sense eh.

:smiley:

Cheeky wotsit Mark! Cookery lessons! At least I don’t burn my saucepans. :lol:

[CENTER]http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/for/lowres/forn912l.jpg[/CENTER]

:lol::lol: Mark!

Stella darlin’ - go for it - I wouldn’t be without mine - very versatile and can be used in a variety of ways.

We have two, one small one for rice pudding and a big one for every other dish you can put into it. Really economical to use and you can cook cheaper cuts and beans really well.

Thanks UJ and Julie. I’m thinking of joints of beef and pork. How long would it take to cook and what size of slow cooker would I need for, say, 3 or 4 people?

I have the biggest I could get because I then freeze any left overs, and often have 8 here for dinner anyway. Then I also have the smallest I could get for rice pudding it holds just a pint.

Thanks Julie. Think I may opt for the larger one then as I am inundated with visitors during the summer, with living here on the coast.

I love mine but never cooked a large piece of meat. I would say get the biggest you can and buy a medium sized piece of beef and slow cook it when you’re around to keep looking and prodding! If I do a stew it is on low for about 6 hours and the meat is lovely.

Stella darlin’ - Fabulous!!! - you’ll need one about 6 pints capacity.

As to cooking joints, - do it overnight - load up the slow cooker and switch on just before you retire for the night and let it do ‘it’s thing’ overnight. The smell in your kitchen the next morning will be something to behold.

Have you bought a cooker yet? Just dawned on me I have a few cooker sites with a pretty good selection of Slow Cookers. Most top suppliers are there - Currys and whoever.

No Mark, haven’t yet bought one - just thinking about it at the moment but will call on you if I do - thanks.

Just hadda look. They start from £9.99.

That’s reasonable Mark. I expect the largest one would be more expensive though, bound to be.

6.5L capacity for £89.99.

But there are many suppliers so the price varies.

Heck Mark, that really is expensive.