Slow cooker for whole joints of beef or pork?

My sites don’t sell em - just display em. Comparison sites kinda. Show the products from many suppliers.

Had mine for years Stella and wouldn’t be without it. I put my food in, in the morning go out for the day and food all cooked on return. But joints will be cooked overnight, as UJ says.

Thanks Mesco.

I wouldn’t be without mine either. Fine for joints, although I tend to use mine more for casseroles. Go for it, Stella! And you can probably get one for £20-30 if you shop around. I’ve had mine for 35 years!!

I have two, of different sizes. I hate the preparation part, but once everything is in…lovely, go out and about, do your own thing, and know that dinner is gently cooking without fear.

I usually do pork and cider or beef casseroles. Condition of meat afterwards can be hit and miss. I know I should use them more often, and trying out different recipes too.

Go for it.

Have a good look around Stella because we bought one for the boys last year 5l for well under £35, our big one 6l was just under £40 only 2 years ago.

Stella darlin’ - found this on ‘Argos’ site: Morphy Richards 48697 6.5 litre Slow Cooker - S/Steel. £20.59 Was £53.99 Less Than Half Price

That’s a good deal ! Well worth the price will see if I can stretch to it for my niece then she can stop pinching mine all the time :mrgreen:

Wow, that’s a good bargain UJ, thanks. I’ll take a look.:slight_smile: What do you mean Jazzi about the meat being a bit ‘hit and miss’? I want to use mine a lot for joints of meat, especially beef so will be a bit disappointed if it doesn’t turn out well.

I don’t eat meat but all my meat eaters love the meat that comes out of the slow cooker, only thing doesn’t seem to do so well is turkey, it according to them all goes a bit dry.

As I suggested Stella darlin’ - if you cook the joint overnight the meat will be that tender you won’t be able to pick it up on a fork.

Just a little tip, if the joint is trussed in string, leave it thus, but place a saucer upside down inside the slow cooker (this stops the string sticking to the ceramic pot of the slow cooker).

Thanks Julie and Uncle Joe. I’ll remember that advice.:slight_smile:

Some casseroles have turned out with the meat being a bit tough and chewy. It doesn’t always become tender.

A recent steak one cooked ok though (defrosted the last portion, reheating in a saucepan with dumplings). After reheating it was still tender enough.

Been quite disappointed with some.

Oh dear Jazzi, don’t know now if I dare cook a beef or pork joint in it then, it would be a lot of money to waste on the meat.

Does yours have a high and low setting ? because ours boils on a high setting but cooks slowly on the low and makes a lot of difference in the texture of the meat.

Don’t know if you are asking me or asking Jazzi, Julie. If me, I haven’t bought mine yet.

Yes, I use the correct (low) setting. (That’s me answering the question…)

Sorry was Jazzi - wonder if it runs hot though, as no matter how tough meat is a slow cooker should turn it into a very tender piece.

I’m with Julie on this, Jazzi. I’ve never had anything out of my slow cooker that has not been tender. How long to you cook things for?

Same here, never had meat that has been tough be it a joint or casserole.