Sky Glass: New 4k UltraHD smart TV set to replace satellite dishes and boxes

It comes as the company moves to solve what it sees as a consumer frustration with content as well as hardware being spread out across numerous gadgets and digital platforms.

1 Like

Fine in theory, but if my WiFi router goes wrong, it’s only my broardband that will be OOA until the new router arrives. With everything contained in just the one unit, I can foresee even more frustrations when the main TV gets carted off to the repair workbench, taking with it a whole lot of other devices all interconnected within that TV.

4 Likes

All mine for £1100 down and £60 a month … I don’t think so … :laughing:

1 Like

Not only that, LD, but are all our now defunct devices heading for landfill? :astonished:

1 Like

I think I’ll pass too… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

They used to say this about those 3 in 1 record players (included tape and radio) but in practice is made little difference. with my current set up if the amp failed there would have to be a massive rearrangement of my home theatre/streaming/TV system.

Wifi routers can be picked up on Ebay for a few dollars. I have at least three I could call on if my main one failed. Just look for superseded models. Personally I keep the configuration files on my NAS so they can be configured for different services in a minute or two.

I have never seen the attraction of sticking a dustbin lid on the roof or the side of my house. My fibre and free to air TV does me.

Isn’t Sky a Rupert Murdoch company? Over priced and untrustworthy in my opinion (we have his Foxtel here) Netflix pushed their prices down and deservedly so

1 Like

There is a wonderful lack of detail in the report. And I am curious to know how an antenna indoors inside a TV, will receive satellite signals.

Satellite TV signals are in the GHZ range. So thousands of Megahertz & the higher in frequency a signal gets the more fragile it gets to things like rain, walls etc. Also, satellites are very directional, so moving your dish just a few centimetres can lose it’s signal.

Even at VHF, where the old analogue TV was, moving an antenna indoors attenuated the signal. Moving a microwave antenna indoors & then needing to have it point in exactly the right direction & at the correct elevation, is going to present a massive engineering issue, if the TV is both dish & receiver.

Currently, an installation engineer would use either a very expensive spectrum analyser, which would look at both the signal & what is happening on the radio spectrum around it, in detail. Or a much cheaper & less able signal strength meter.

I am also curious as to what level of filtering will be installed in the TV. As homes are now cluttered with things, throwing out unwanted radio signals. LED bulbs, power supplies etc etc. They can all degrade a signal further & without good filtering, attenuating the signal by having the antenna indoors will only make the problem worse, as will having the receiving antenna closer to the noise.

2 Likes

It is worth noting. No matter how good the sales pitch. No matter how good the idea appears to be. There is a reason they call them the LAWS of physics.

2 Likes

We rely on our Satellite Dish to receive Freesat here in France.
Our router is set up via our Telephone/Internet Service Company.
… We have no access to our Router, they can follow our every move if they so desire.
…When the Internet is cut off, like last evening out of the blue…we have no phone line either…Where would that leave us then?.

1 Like

Who uses a landline these days? Mobile is so much cheaper. My mobile total monthly fee is less than my landline rental years ago when I had the pleasure of telling Telstra what they could do with their copper wire

1 Like

Bruce it is cheaper and more reliable for us…You cannot believe that all places are the same…or equal even.
.If we use a mobile we need to go out in the Garden nearly always…

2 Likes

That is what you expect to happen here not in European countries.

As I have said before you know when you are near a town here because your mobile phone beeps into life.

1 Like

You should be able to access its controls via the unique URL stamped somewhere, usually on its base.

1 Like

and sometimes they even have Mains drainage!!!

1 Like

Yes but they set the Box controls…we have no password for it LG…

Was the same when we first moved here…Carried on with the Guildford Contract from the previous owners… until the service was almost non existent…no phone or internet for days on end …then they showed their True colours…Their routers were the same as we have now, but the workings inside were adjusted for just that one company.
.no password ever,so could not enter the menu’s

.Had the cheek to call themselves UK Telecom…no connection whats so ever with BT.
Another thing the Company told us that we could not have a normal Telephone Connection in France anymore as it is not something they permit any longer, only Volp…
Still do not know why though since the Telephone Company connected our line, the normally way, we still loose the phone and the internet at the same instance…

1 Like

More often that not, it’s usually 0000 or 1234 and you have to reset with your own choice of password. Mine was 1234 but I soon changed that!!

Your not getting this LG…they control the Routers here…they do not control me…haha …but they can, if they wish see at any point what I do on the Internet…

Wondering now, can they see me in Controversial Threads!!!
:rofl:
oh some of what I said vanished,gosh and golly

was adding…should I wave at the Telephone/Internet Spies or use two fingers…then the laughter… :rofl:

1 Like

It is close to 20 years ago now. But here Orange used to sell a special package for haulage operators. And it did not work on parts of the M25 & not in South Mimms services, which is where the M1 meets / leaves the M25 & that has a massive truckstop.

More recently our Police made plans to move away from radios & onto a mobile phone system. Currently we are years after the date it should have been implemented & the system is still not up & running properly & the system will be a fraction of what it should have been. But more importantly, there are big parts of our main road network not capable of receiving 4G signals & small country lanes are even worse.

I tried to use Network Radio. A system similar to radio, but using mobile phones & found that even using main roads, my communications were patchy locally. A dip in the road, trees etc, was all it took for my signal to disappear.

2 Likes

@ Gee3, l know very little about radio waves Gee, but is that
due to not being lin" line of sight" of the transmitter or aerial ??
If so won’t satellite solve that problem in most cases ??
Donkeyman! :thinking::thinking:

1 Like

@Gee3 Im wondering if all the Sky content will be provided by streaming?
Hence no need for the dish. But as you say little detail yet.
Don’t think I will be giving up my TV for it any time soon.
Sizes are a little restricting also. I can’t fit anything bigger than a 50 inch TV and I’m not going down to a 43 inch. :slightly_smiling_face: