Six Years on

Yep, That is very true.

The UK relies on imports because we do not make enough things. There was a conscious decision in the 80’s that industry, and especially heavy industry, could disappear in the UK. Instead the UK would rely on services and especially financial services. Other European countries did not take the same approach. Spain for example massively supported its automotive sector and embryonic aerospace sector. Italy supported train manufacture - getting the UK’s high speed train design for almost nothing and developing the pendilino. Which lots of countries, UK included, bought. It is the fault of UK governments over the last 4 decades that we have to buy in so many goods.

3 Likes

Interesting quote, from the DT, about Starmer & Brexit :-

" Sir Keir Starmer is facing a Labour revolt over Brexit after he vowed not to take Britain back into the Single Market.

In a keynote speech on Britain’s future outside the European Union, Sir Keir pledged to “make Brexit work” and said he would not seek to join the Single Market or a customs union."

Interesting about turn, by Starmer, if true , & if he’s not making false promises?

1 Like

The one concerning Boris was Bruce…
2019 United Kingdom general election - Wikipedia.

Quote…
The 2019 United Kingdom general election was held on Thursday, 12 December 2019. It resulted in the Conservative Party receiving a landslide majority of 80 seats.[n 5] The Conservatives made a net gain of 48 seats and won 43.6% of the popular vote – the highest percentage for any party since 1979.[3]

Having failed to obtain a majority in the 2017 general election, the Conservative Party had faced prolonged parliamentary deadlock over Brexit while it governed in minority with the support of the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP). This situation led to the resignation of the Prime Minister, Theresa May, and the selection of Boris Johnson as Conservative leader and Prime Minister in July 2019. Johnson could not induce Parliament to approve a revised withdrawal agreement by the end of October, and chose to call for a snap election, which the House of Commons supported via the Early Parliamentary General Election Act 2019.[4] Opinion polls up to polling day showed a firm lead for the Conservatives against the Labour Party throughout the campaign.[5]

The Conservatives won 365 seats, their highest number and proportion of seats since 1987, and recorded their highest share of the popular vote since 1979; many of their gains were made in long-held Labour seats, dubbed the ‘red wall’,

1 Like

Oh come on! That’s very selective piece of quoting from a very long article about the election and the many policies campaigned on. Quite disingenuous.

There was tax reform, more spending on the NHS, climate action and many other policies raised during the campaign in that same article. Don’t you think the leadership of Corbyn had any effect on the outcome? There were many issues Brexit was just one of them. Really, you can do better than this.

Another of your desperate posts I think OGF.

See! Everyone is in it for themselves. They would all sell their family on gumtree if it helped their cause :rage:

2 Likes

So true Pixie, so true… :+1:

I think I might know who you mean. The one who talks bollocks about how Australia is better than the UK in every way!

Not by me.
I prefer to talk about tits.

I thought you were a leg man?

I agree. An unused resource which could have been used years ago.
Of course, now Boris has heard about it, and Carrie seems to be a great proponent of heat pumps(!), I imagine we might hear more of it.

Of course it is.
We have some of the best universities in the world, yet here we are with politicians (many of whom have been to top universities) apparently unable to think ahead and make the correct decisions.
Perhaps they have a one-track mind: “How much money can I make from this job?”

Hi

I was not very bothered about dumping the Single Market or Customs Union.

That was the old Common Market.

It had many advantages.

The EU is a very different animal and not for me.

2 Likes

Aha! The move to attract the muslim votes seems not to be working, so let’s try a different tack!

2 Likes

Yes I am, but I am prepared to vary my interests occasionally when things are presented to me.

What a silly sod who doesn’t know the difference between criticism and comparison also OGF was waffling on about drilling to the Earth’s core when there is no chance of that happening ever.

Thermal energy is a source of heat but very hard to tap successfully we have to use it where it comes to us

I’m beginning to agree with you - very worrying :grin:

1 Like

Deleted.

It’s not necessary to drill the earths core Bruce as well you know.
Here in South Yorkshire we have one of the deepest coal mines in the UK, only Thorne has a deeper coal mine than Hatfield Main as the seam gradually sinks below the north sea and finally returning to the surface in Germany.
It was joked in the second world war that miners were not helping the war effort by remaining in the pits instead of being required to fight. But the mine was so deep that it was said they were stealing Hitlers coal…
It was also hot down there, and this heat could be utilised and pumped to the surface to heat homes. Not so expensive as it happens. Because hot water rises, it would need very little help to reach the surface.
Also…Back in 1959 the biggest coal fired power station in Europe was built. Imagine the wasted heat from the cooling towers that could have also been used to heat homes in the village. Who would have thought that a coal fired power station could be more planet friendly than we have been led to believe, and there is still enough coal in the ground round here to keep a power station running for over a thousand years.

2 Likes

I didn’t say it was, you did.