Sir Roger Moore, James Bond actor, dies aged 89

The actor took the character of James Bond in a more humorous direction than his predecessor Sean Connery.

Sir Roger’s Bond was calm and suave - a smooth operator who could seemingly get himself out of a tricky situation with ease.

Sir Roger’s family confirmed the news on Twitter, saying he had died after “a short but brave battle with cancer”.

The veteran star, who died in Switzerland, will have a private funeral in Monaco in accordance with his wishes, his children said.

Along with his famous Bond role, Moore was also known for TV series The Persuaders and The Saint.

Sir Roger was also well known for his humanitarian work - he was introduced to Unicef by the late Audrey Hepburn and was appointed as a goodwill ambassador in 1991.

Sir Roger’s family confirmed the news on Twitter, saying he had died after “a short but brave battle with cancer”.

Never a great actor, but always a self-deprecating gentleman:

“You just have to look at the lines, say them, and don’t bump into the furniture.”

:cool:

1 Like

23 May 2017. Bit late with this, Omah…Oh dear :017::104:

Yes, just a little late. Even so it’s good to jog the memory and remember him in the James Bond films from all those years’ ago. :slight_smile:

He was my favourite Bond, the one I grew up with. First Bond film I saw was The Spy Who Loved Me in 1977.

Being older than yourself Floydy, I well remember the first Bond films in 1962 and 1963, plus of course all the others too!

He definitely was ‘a smooth operator’ if ever there was one. That voice and mannerisms were a one-off I reckon. I remember ‘that look’ and a raised eyebrow when he was with the females in any of his films! :cool: :slight_smile:

I thought Sean Connery was the best Bond.

For anyone interested the link below gives a complete list of all the Bond films in order with many relevant details.

Part Two on that same link names and shows all the Bond girls too. There’s a lot of memories on there that’s for sure!

https://www.007james.com/articles/list_of_james_bond_movies_part_2.php

Edited to add: the link above has several parts to it, one of those also lists all the cars used too. Quite a comprehensive link which at first I didn’t quite realise. :slight_smile:

I’m with you Susie. Sean Connery WAS James Bond.

Yes

and Roger Moore WAS the Saint. :wink:

Oh how sad. R.I.P. Roger Moore.

He’s been dead for 2 years.

Me too. I know a lot of people don’t rate him as Bond but he was the one I watched in my youth. I also went to see the Spy who loved me. I still remember the cheer that went up when his parachute opened after skiing off the cliff. :-p

RIP Roger.

He turned up On Perranporth beach in Cornwall one year. Had the nerve to try and use to surf life saving club as his personal changing room. My mates soon threw him out.

What you see on screen is often quite different from the person in real life. Some are really nice and others because they are well known think they can get away with anything

Apologies - I don’t remember the event … :o

Here’s the original thread, entitled “Sir Roger Moore” to which I never contributed:

In mitigation, I can only say that the “old” article is surrounded by “current” events, which may have beguiled me into not checking the publication date.

:expressionless:

I never much liked Roger Moore as Bond. I guess it’s because I’ve always liked a more ‘rugged’ type of bloke, more manly, but Roger was such a ‘smoothie,’ male model sort of chap.
Not my type at all, but each to their own. :slight_smile:

:mrgreen:

Have you just woken up … :lol:

Omah strikes again lol!

That’s quite a good resemblance to me actually … many thanks … :023:

I took that photo while you were at the bar having to buy me a pint you owed me :cool: