Sir Keir Starmer cleared by police over Durham lockdown beers

Police statement on Starmer and Rayner in full

Following the emergence of significant new information, an investigation was launched by Durham Constabulary into a gathering at the Miners’ Hall, in Redhills, Durham on 30th April 2021.

That investigation has now concluded.

A substantial amount of documentary and witness evidence was obtained which identified the 17 participants and their activities during that gathering.

Following the application of the evidential Full Code Test, it has been concluded that there is no case to answer for a contravention of the regulations, due to the application of an exception, namely reasonably necessary work.

Accordingly, Durham Constabulary will not be issuing any fixed penalty notices in respect of the gathering and no further action will be taken.

The investigation has been thorough, detailed and proportionate.

The final evidence supplied by participants from the local constituency was returned to Durham Police on 5th July and analysed by investigators against all the evidence before the investigation was concluded on 8th July 2022.

In line with established national policing guidelines, we will not name or otherwise identify any of those present at the gathering, all of whom have been informed of the investigation outcome by their legal representatives.

Suck on that, Richard Holden (Tory MP for North West Durham) … :019:

2 Likes

Sir Keir said: “For me, this was always a matter of principle. Honesty and integrity matter. You will always get that from me.”

Ms Rayner said: “Integrity matters in politics. The contrast with the behaviour of this disgraced prime minister couldn’t be clearer.”

Vindicated … :clap:

4 Likes

Well I am glad that’s done and dusted then :+1:

2 Likes

Quite … Much Ado About Nothing … :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Half the country had a beer, a little lawbreaking experience. Thankfully we are not being investigated by the gutter press.

Oh! and, I remember Fleet St … back in the day, a place to get illicit booze. A drink after hours.

1 Like

BJ broke the law (that he made) and now has a conviction - Sir Keir didn’t and hasn’t.

1 Like

OK lighten up. I’m just saying millions broke the law. Was it the law or just some health & efficiency advice. OK, I know it was some kind of temporary special law enforcement. Whilst you guys were sitting at home, there were millions doing proper jobs like running the country, business & commerce. And yes, having a drink.

Anything partygate or gate of any kind is irrelevant and yawn-inducing.

2 Likes

Well, “Partygate” helped to bring a Prime Minister down - it proved to be relevant to his peers … :wink:

Petty.

But such is today’s fragile world.

3 Likes

No, it isn’t.

Maybe someone is a little bit anti Boris.

1 Like

So who is this ‘Joy Allen’, l keep hearing about in connection to this incident?

Joy Allen is the Durham Police and Crime Commissioner.

…and …does she ever go to parties?

I don’t know - but there was a Tory attempt to smear her reputation by suggesting she may have been at the Miners Hall in Durham during the “Beergate” event.
She confirmed that neither she, her deputy or any of her team were there.

Then Nadine Dorries tried to suggest that because Starmer had endorsed Allen as the PCC, the Durham Constabulary should not investigate Beergate for fear she may put pressure on the Durham Chief Constable to exonerate Starmer.
Bearing in mind that PCCs are politically elected positions, it is quite usual for a Party Leader or Minister to endorse and be photographed with their own Party PCC Candidate, both Tory and Labour Ministers have endorsed PCCs from their own party, so nothing out of the ordinary there.

When Dorries suggested some other police force should investigate instead, I wonder if she was thinking it should be handed over to a police force overseen by a Tory PCC , so they could lean on the investigation team instead! :rofl:

That’s strange… because Angela Rayner wasn’t there either!!

Hi

It is going to be a long and boring summer if all we are going to talk about is what has happened.

Surely it is far more important and interesting to talk about what is happening now.

We , the plebs, cannot change things other than through the ballot box.

Forums are however useful for venting a bit of anger.

I don’t know why you think it’s strange that the Police Commissioner was not attending a meeting organising a by-election campaign for a Parliamentary Seat.
I would have thought it strange if she had been there, to be honest.
Do other Police Crime Commissioners get involved in campaigning for candidates standing in Parliamentary elections?
What reason would she have for being there?

What would l know? I was just asking! :blush:

I wonder if she votes Conservative?

I doubt it!
As I said, all the Police and Crime Commissioner roles are politically elected posts.
Joy Allen stood for election as the Labour candidate and was elected.
The Chief Constable of a police force is accountable to the PCC but the PCC does not run the Constabulary or make decisions on police investigations - the Chief Constable does that and that is not a political appointment.

The Tories have already tried to smear this lady’s reputation by suggesting she was involved in Beergate - unless there is any reason to think she was there, then these snide comments are just mud-slinging for the sake of it.

1 Like