Silent indicators

There’s a fault on my newly purchased 3 year old Toyota Aygo that I didn’t notice on the test drive.

It’s the indicators. They are so quiet I don’t hear them. If they haven’t auto turned off after turning left or right I often find myself driving miles with them winking. Of course I can see them on the controls but when looking at the road I don’t notice them.

I asked the car dealer about it & he contacted a Toyota dealer on my behalf but they said they don’t alter the ‘spec’

I don’t quite know how to deal with this other than training myself to look see if they’ve turned off every time I turn a bend.

Apparently they are extremely soft. Passengers tell me they can slightly hear them but I can’t hear them at all.

Maybe I need my ears testing but I never had this problem with any previous cars…

I would have though it would be easy for the main dealer to access the ‘sounds’ from a laptop and the crank the indicator’s volume up.

1 Like

Yes, I believe that no indicators make a noise these days because they are all electronic, unlike the old ‘flasher can’ …And the noise is now added electronically. I’d be surprised if it can’t be adjusted as LongDriver suggests.
:loudspeaker:

1 Like

The car dealer I bought it from said he’s been in touch with Toyota & they wouldn’t alter the ‘spec’ that it was set at.

This seems a bit unreal to my ears too. Maybe he was just fobbing me off.

If the car dealer won’t help me, who can I get to help me? Should I contact Toyota myself?

1 Like

Indicator sound seems to have been an issue for a while:

but maybe there’s a fix or workaround by now.

Raise a query here:

as regards to auto turn off indicators that is normally done by a small lever in the steering column behind the casing. The dealer should have been able to fix that very easily. as for sound that should have been no problem either if put on a diagnostic tester.
My impression is the dealer once sold your on your own attitude to fault.
If i were you I would go back and say you are getting an independant auto electrician and the dealer will have to pay. nothing like a scare tactic as “goods not fit for purpose” and going down the claims court

1 Like

I wouldn’t want to do that realspeed. It’s something that I should have spotted on my test drive & it’s not a fault that has developed.

Thanks Omah - I’ll head over to the Toyota owners forum.

1 Like

Carol, you could try a local auto electrician to see if they can fit an audible device, has your car got a full Toyota service history?, if so as long as you have it serviced every year at a Toyota dealer, the warranty gets renewed, for up to ten years or 100,000 miles. You may be able to get the fault with the self cancelling indicators looked at under warranty ,

2 Likes

You could add a buzzer or similar to the indicators so it buzzes when they are activted That would very easy.(but annoying)

1 Like

At this age, it is custom and practice not to indicate at all, Toyota may have considered this when designing the Aygo.

I think that is limited to Range Rovers and Audi’s Spitty…

I would think that if they don’t self cancel after use then the switch must be faulty, and if you’ve recently got the car maybe there is some sort of guarantee with it to get these problems fixed?

It’s only sometimes they don’t self cancel & I’ve found this with every car I’ve had.

1 Like

How odd… :thinking:

I hope you get it sorted .
A few years ago I had a red Aygo , super little car .

Maybe because they cancel after having the steering wheel on full lock.

That shouldn’t be necessary surely?

My Fiat Panda is the same when indicating left. If it is not a full 90 degree bend it sometimes doesn’t self cancel when I straighten up.

1 Like

no it shouldn’t , it all depends if the steering indicator latch on the column is set correctly or hasn’t moved. One would have to remove steering column covers to check, best done on axle stands to turn the steering wheel without straining it

Your self cancel is working fine Carol, they don’t always cancel if the steering wheel doesn’t trip it, as is often the case on some bends. It sometimes self cancels too early on some junctions and roundabouts. On heavy goods vehicles they don’t have a self cancel and you have to get into the habit of turning off the indicator manually, it comes with practice.

1 Like