Side hustle - Do you have any?

So, I’m in the financial services sector. The professional association that I belong to put out an advert for assessors. I took a fat chance and applied to review a section of the industry textbook for students in my area of expertise.

That chance paid off and I was awarded the contract! Seriously an honour! It’s a foot in the door! From here, I could apply to mark assignments and examinations in my spare time.

This got me thinking, did you have a side hustle e.g. a hobby that you developed whilst in formal employment and which now assists to supplement your income into retirement?

It’s getting more difficult to make ends meet and this ‘side hustle’ trend is gaining momentum!

I’d love to hear your thoughts and how you managed!

I don’t have side hustle myself but when I retired I did spend some time looking for something along the lines of a hobby income generator. To be honest I really don’t need any extra income to supplement my pension/superannuation as it is more than adequate.

People who make a bit of extra income from a hobby or interest have my admiration.

1 Like

Hi

Nope, I do Pro Bono work as an Expert Witness.

I enjoy it.

I have enough income, so my side hustles have become busy work.

1 Like

Had a side hustle early 90s, until HMRC caught up with me. :grinning: :biking_man:

2 Likes

Yes certainly had to at 21 years of age. !st House and 3 Babies. First evening work was going around set address’s and asking a few embarrassing questions.
When we took on the Mortgage my late Dad said you don’t earn enough between you. Of course I knew he was good with his statistics so we worked out a plan…No Children for a few years …blah blah blah.
Then I started a clothes party business and that took off…Made a lot of money…
Happy Ever After…
would be the right time to add Husband was a HGV Driver a few years on…
Like all he traded in Pallets and almost lost his Job over that…
But they did make up for the low wages…

2 Likes

on yer bike you…I would be innocent of any of that fidderling stuff… :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

2 Likes

Yeah alright. :grinning:

1 Like

@Minx , Never had time, 60hr + weeks!!
Time& a half saturdays, and double time Sundays In those
days !!:grin::grin:
Donkeyman! :+1::+1:

3 Likes

Been there, done that DM. :biking_man:

2 Likes

No one cared then about Work/life balance, so, I don’t now.

1 Like

@spitfire , Wots that then??
Gimme the money!!
Sod the balance !!
Donkeyman! :grin::grin:

1 Like

At one time when I was a social worker. I worked 48 hours on & 48 hours off. So I also worked as part of a successful hypnosis practice & did some evening & weekend work as a sexual health outreach worker & thus got paid to spend time on the beach & in nightclubs etc. We also provided training for health professionals on sexual health. Challenging preconceptions & educating on language. I was even given funding to attend a BDSM training seminar.

1 Like

That’s good to hear! Most people don’t save adequately for retirement :slightly_smiling_face:

Swimmy, at a minimum, do they cover your travel expenses ?

I read a post where your portfolio got the green light and you’ve been asked to provide more pictures! Awesome!

1 Like

And now most of your time is spent on yer bike!

:grinning:

1 Like

That’s incredible Di! A real superwoman!
:hugs:

1 Like

Long working hours DK! I’m not surprised that you didn’t have time for a side hustle

Oh, it’s all the rage nowadays! As an example, at work we practice no meeting Wednesdays!

We have the day to ourselves to catch up on work, complete courses online etc. Initially, it started as an ‘experiment’ but 99.5% voted for it to remain!

Times have changed!

1 Like