Should I tell my family I'm looking at Funeral Plans?

Hello everyone, My Name is Maggie and I’m looking for advice. I’ve recently been thinking about taking out a funeral plan however I’m uncomfortable talking about this with my family. I was provided with recommendations but I’m unsure about purchasing a plan without consulting my son first. I would really like my Son to help me with this and was wondering what would be a good way to discuss this with him.

2 Likes

Welcome Maggie!, just get an insurance deal that will cover the costs, let everyone else worry about the planning, hope this helps. :smiley:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, Maggie :heart:

Too many funerals in our family lately, all of the old generation going :slightly_frowning_face:

And what I’ve noticed is that it’s easier on the family if their loved one has told them exactly what they want

Even at your saddest, there’s comfort in knowing you did what they wanted

So what I would do, if I were you, I’d get it straight in your own head first. Write your will and then have a good think about exactly what you’d like, even down to the wake, hymns, location, burial or cremation etc

And make sure there’s enough money, insurance etc to pay for it

Write it all down and put it with your will, then I think it will be easier for you to discuss the practicalities with your son and tell him what you’d like. Don’t forget to tell him where your instructions and will are!

He won’t want to discuss it, it’s very hard and we all think our mum is going to live forever

But when he knows you’ve left guidance he may be ready to discuss it more, and even if he never does, I promise you when the time comes he’ll get comfort from giving you the send off you want

1 Like

If ya don’t wanna die, it’s hard getting to the planning stage, if you are planning well ahead, you did not have enough fun here. :laughing:

Speak to an independent financial advisor rather than your son. It’s not really fair to burden your son with this. There is too much emotion in the mix. Many of these plans have been found to be a rip off. Your funeral will always come out of your estate, but it’s best to put your intentions in writing. Usually specifics can be added to your will.

Don’t! Funeral plans are expensive and poor value for money.

I have put a letter with my will telling my kids that I don’t want a funeral service or memorial but that they can have an impressive wake.

If it was entirely up to me I would buy a casket at Costco and they could take it with me inside to the crematorium in the back of my ute but unfortunately that is not allowed. (I am not sure I want a coffin cluttering up the shed either.)

I have compromised by giving them the web address of this mob:

There are plenty of similar places to choose from and they handle everything from collecting the body to delivering the ashes. I suspect at that time any organisational skills will have gone out the window so it is just a matter of making one phone call and letting the company do the rest.

I think that $2400 is still outrageous but there is at least that in my safe (with the will) to pay for it.

I payed for my Funeral last year , didnt tell my children about it till it was done , They dont have to do anything other than phone a number and the process will start .

I think families are different and you should know whether it not it’s a good idea to discuss your plans with yours. In my experience, I have spoken to both of my sons with regard to my wishes, following on from the death of my husband in August last year. They know where all the relevant paperwork is kept and details of insurances. I haven’t bought a funeral plan because it’s not value for money in my opinion. Now I know that everything is in place I can grieve for my husband but have the peace of mind that my plans for my own funeral are in place.

Im puzzled Can you explain this please …

If your dead it is not your problem anyway so way worry About it while your alive? Just enjoy living for the time being

@Maggie1 Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:

My wife and I have held pre-paid funeral plans with Age UK since Age Concern first brought them out many years ago. Our children and grandchildren know all about them and that all they have to do is obtain the death certificate, make one phone call and the nominated funeral director will do the rest. Our plans take all the worry and hassle away from our children in that all they have to do is turn up for the ceremony on the day the funeral director will indicate. Coffin, car(s) and ceremony are all pre-arranged with nothing extra to do. A friend had such a plan and I followed it closely when he died. Yes, it really was very easy and simple after the death certificate was obtained. I would recommend a regulated pre-paid funeral plan without any hesitation :+1:

1 Like

I’d just as soon be cremated with no ceremony… Or even just a hole in the ground.

Each to their own. My children would never forgive me if I did not allow them to say their goodbyes to me. It is not just about the dead person, but also those left behind.

1 Like

Yes, I agree. But when I’m dead, I am dead.,

That’s what my husband says! He wants no service, just cremation and have his ashes scattered down our horses field.

I want cremation but I would like them buried near my parents in the village where I was born and raised. Not bothered about a service either TBH.

A lady in our village chose no service just a cremation with no mourners at all. We were very surprised as she was an absolutely devoted Mum to her 4 adult children and about 8 grandchildren. She was also married. All the family lived within a 10 mile radius.

I know one of her daughters very well and she told me those were her Mum’s wishes and she did not want them all weeping and having to buy smart clothes just for a few hours.

1 Like

I agree with the lady. I’m not sure my family will adhere to that.

So, you would rather be leaving everything for your family to sort out, arrange and fund.
Each to our own point of view I suppose :man_shrugging:

Not when I’m dead.

I am 85 now and beginning to slow down a bit so I have been thinking about making arrangements lately. At the moment I am leaning towards cremation with no service. I have not said anything to family members yet.