Sheening fountain pen inks

I have been having a fun time looking at fountain pen inks online lately. These have captured my attention, but there are shimmering ones too that are spectacular.

Sheening inks are fountain pen inks that change color depending on how much ink is put down on the page.

Have you ever seen sheening fountain pen inks?

2 Likes

I do not remember noticing any when I’m out and about. I like sepia and it makes easy birthday/anyday presents for my family to buy as a gift to me. I’m into handwriting and calligraphy and found sepia to look well on my writing paper. A good quality pen ink from Liverpool is the Diamine brand and is retailed in two sizes :+1:
I do not own any cartridge pens though and all of mine are the bladder type :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Diamine Sepia. Beautiful!

I haven’t gotten any Diamine yet, but I’m hoping I will soon. I’ve used Waterman ink, Parker ink, Pilot Iroshizuku, J. Herbin and Lamy inks so far.

1 Like

I am restricted by what is available from retail outlets in my area; it’s either that for a limited choice or buying on-line with the usual P&P of an extra £3.99 upwards which makes some purchases prohibitive.

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking about getting some Diamine ink Butter - I quite like the look of their Ox Blood ink :smiley:

1 Like

Nice! I hear that Oxblood is quite similar to Writer’s Blood which is the ink created by the Reddit community in collaboration with Diamine. This video says that Writer’s Blood is wetter and darker than Oxblood.

1 Like

Not fussed on that reddit one Butter, much prefer the original Ox Blood :smiley:

1 Like

Just watched a just released video on chroma-shading ink. I love the Sailor Manyo Haha. Beautiful colors. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I love shading - never seen chroma shading though, thanks for posting!

From the other thread but related to the pen in your video above:

Have you thought about using (or have you used) a dip pen, Butter? I would probably find them a bit cumbersome, but could be good fit for you? :smiley:

1 Like

I used to make quills from feathers I found lying around. I had no skill at this and they weren’t at all fancy, with scratchy writing, but I had good fun playing around with them. And they were pretty. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Yes, I’ve been thinking about that very recently after I saw this video on a Kakimori dip pen. It has 4 nibs. She says that 3 of the 4 nibs can write almost a page without dipping except for, ironically, the fountain pen nib.

The advantage of those nibs is that they lay down a lot of ink. The advantage of a fountain pen is that I don’t have to keep dipping the nib or even changing a cartridge. In order to get the advantage of putting down a lot of ink, I’m thinking of getting a broad nib or a double broad nib.

I have a Platinum Plumix which is an italic nib. It doesn’t write fast. It’s more of a calligraphy nib which is probably how the stub and italic nibs would feel. Those are too big, I think.

I’ve been looking at TWSBI pens that hold 2-3 times the ink of most pens and come in broad nib sizes. By most accounts, broad nibs show the sheening inks the best.

1 Like

Instagram post that both crafters and fountain pen lovers might enjoy. Shimmering calligraphy by Sue @oliveleafcalli

Sue shared a post on Instagram: "I enjoyed swatching Wearingeul’s Becoming Witch and can honestly say this is one cool set of inks to have and enjoy. The set of inks comes with a rich blue Wicked Witch, which has generous red sheen. A lovely ink on...

1 Like

My Oxblood arrived, and it looks exactly like in the vid below (more browny purple than red):

Interesting grip she has there! (Wonder if we need a thread on ‘Fountain pen grips - how do you hold yours?’ :lol:

1 Like