Selfish, entitled cyclists

I agree but would add the majority of road users are polite 98% of the time.

1 Like

Well they are not going to like this piece of News in todayā€™s papers. But as far as Iā€™m concerned itā€™s long overdue. :grinning: :smiley:They have got away with bad behaviour for far too long. :triumph:

Cyclists may have to get NUMBER PLATES and insurance under new law | The Sun

2 Likes

ā€œCYCLISTS could be subject to the same rules as motorists under a raft of new proposed changes to UK road laws.ā€

Arenā€™t they now? they are here, in fact have more rules such as compulsory helmets wearing ($400 fine). The road rules apply to everybody.

How will a 10 year old afford rego?

Mixed feelings on this.

On the one hand, it might act as a disincentive for more people to ride a bike, plus there are that many bikes out there Iā€™m.not sure how enforceable getting a licence plate actually would be.

But I do think that it is incumbent on cyclists to follow the highway code and for fines to be put in place for those that breach the law. Not really sure how insurance would workā€¦again whether itā€™s realistic or enforceable.

1 Like

Interestingly helmets can lead to cyclists feeling safer than they are and cycling more recklessly, thus creating completely the opposite outcome than intended.

Who told you that nonsense? Does wearing a seat belt make you feel safer and therefore you drive more recklessly?

Cyclists who wear helmets reduce their risk of dying from a head injury by 65%

1 Like

Never actually tried it as I donā€™t want to get a fine. Perhaps next time youā€™re out in the sticks somewhere and putting you foot down, youā€™d like to undo your seatbelt and see if it makes you feel any less safe. I suspect it would.

That article from the guardian doesnt address the point Iā€™m making, since it doesnā€™t look at any data regarding the likelihood of having an accident in the first place in relation to wearers and non wearers of helmets.

Hardly relevant is it? I was asking if wearing a seatbelt makes you drive recklessly because that is what you are claiming wearing a helmet would do.

Thanks for that link @Rox, that is good news, and way overdue. I do hope it isnā€™t just a lot of hot air, and that it gets on the statute books very soon.

Necessary because, as always, itā€™s a minority of aggressive, entitled people who are causing trouble, and driving these reforms.

1 Like

About timeā€¦but then who will enforce it really? Most cyclists round here donā€™t wear helmets or have lights on at dark (which is law, I thinkā€¦the lights are anyway)

2 Likes

Entirely relevant. Wearing any form of PPE will have an effect on oneā€™s behaviour/attitude in comparison to not wearing it.

Do you think racing drivers would drive in exactly the same way as they do without belts, helmets etc etc, or do you think it might actually help them feel even safer to push boundaries?

On the subject of cycling, a few years back i went out on my bike in cold weather, thinking it was late enough in the early afternoon for ice to have thawed, and managed to hit a black ice spot (on a tarmaced cycleway). I came off, jarred my back and hit my head. It was the fact that I was wearing my helmet that contributed towards the decision to take the risk and go out. Kinda proves my point. But also kinda proves the point that Iā€™m an imbecile at times too, just like everyone else. :wink::joy::rofl:

I agree with you. The police complain of being stretched as it is, and do very little about burglaries, stolen cars etc, just letting insurance companies deal with them, while the culprits go free. Also, I donā€™t know how many cyclists there are in the UK, but it must run to hundreds of thousands - can you imagine the logistics of getting all of them onto a registration database, including details of their insurance? Mind-boggling :101:

1 Like

It just occurred to me as well, if they are going to enforce legislation and registration, then surely they must also introduce regular cycle maintenence to have the bicycle deemed roadworthyā€¦then thereā€™s insuranceā€¦I think its going to be too expensive for people to have a bike, quite honestly. I know I couldnā€™t afford to take one on the road if all that came about. I barely use mine these days.

2 Likes

Weā€™ve got two old electric bikes in the garage, that we havenā€™t used for about 10 years. Will we have to declare SORN? :flushed:

2 Likes

Why yes, yes you willā€¦and youā€™ll need to pay for it. Plus, if you decide to randomly grab the bikes to go for a whizz around the countryside, you will need to inform the DVLA. Kind of takes away the spontaneity of cycling somewhat, doesnā€™t itā€¦:thinking: :no_bicycles:

2 Likes

Possibly too many variables to make it viable.

I think itā€™s something that would have to be introduced gradually - maybe registration first, with insurance at a later date. Or tā€™other way round. Though I canā€™t see how insurance could work without registration :017:

2 Likes

I donā€™t know how it works with driving, but I would imagine once you register your bike and receive some sort of number plate or visible sticker ID to display (somewhere), you would need to pay for the insurance at the same time as that.? Then you would receive all documents together, to be taken with you on the road (unless its digital now and details could be accessed via a QR code)

1 Like

So youā€™re registering the bike and not the cyclist?

Editā€¦Sorry, but Iā€™m struggling to see how any of this is going to work. Those who break the highway code /behave selfishly are surely less likely to sign up legitimately to any scheme, and it just seems unfeasable to backtrack and take into account so many variables.

If the bike has a registration number, it gets registered in your name - like a car.

1 Like