Selfish, entitled cyclists

We came up against the archetypal militant, entitled cyclist this afternoon. We were driving around a local reservoir on Dartmoor, a popular beauty spot. We first met this fellow and his young son at a narrow pinch-point in the road - the son, about 12 or 13, was approaching from around a bend and we were at this pinch point. Nevertheless, on the boy came, even though we were at the point before him; no attempt to stop and let us through. His father was a little way behind - he had to wait.

We met them again after a couple of miles, this time as we rounded a bend on a very narrow stretch of road, just wide enough for our car. They were approaching us down a slight incline, so we waited - we waited, because on their side of the road, about 3 foot in front of our car, there was a very large passing place, which naturally we expected them to ride into to let us pass. We were absolutely stunned to find them both ignore this space and stop in front of our car, expecting us to reverse back along a very narrow road and around a blind bend. Seriously??? Mr B didnā€™t budge, obviously. He gesticulated to the fellow to move into the passing place. It took a while for him to comply. Honestly, he was right next to it, for Godā€™s sake! As we drove past, Mr B waving his thanks, we were met with what we imagine was a mouthful of verbal abuse, which thankfully we were unable to hear as the windows were closed and the air con on.

I wish now Iā€™d snapped a photo, because knowing the type of person he appeared to be, heā€™s likely to have had a body-cam and would delight in sending footage to the authorities, claiming his rights under the new Highway Code changes. Grrrrr :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I sympathise , as driver and a cyclist I always pull into a passing spot when on my bike as the lanes are very narrow here .
Unfortunately I rarely meet me when driving the selfish ( mamals ) wonā€™t pull in and you have to sit behind them

1 Like

its not just cyclist that do this , the worst are the Range Rovers and other 4x4 that can quite easily mount the grass curb ,but no they charge up the middle of the road forcing you to pull in .

1 Like

Oh yes Iā€™ve met them too. There is just so much entitlement these days, itā€™s unbelievable!

1 Like

Sorry to hear this,Bathshebaā€¦glad you are both ok, as it could have turned nasty, especially as you thought they were murmuring verbal abuse at you both.

Iā€™ve had an encounter with those electric scooters,:open_mouth::open_mouth:ā€¦I wonā€™t go there,as itā€™s off topic.:+1:

1 Like

Cyclists drive me nuts, where do they get the attitude from?

My friend and I were walking through a local Nature reserve where they graze cattle on the hill

We were a bit surprised to see the gate open, so we closed it behind us, as the sign requested

Then a Lycra lout whizzes into view, sees us closing it from a distance and yells at us ā€œthanks very much, how the f*** am I supposed to get through now?ā€

Youā€™re supposed to get off your bike mate, open the gate, go through, then close it behind you before you speed off on your merry way :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

I hope you told him that mareeā€¦

3 Likes

Exactly what I was about to say too.

No, he sped passed us, deliberately too close, and when we looked back he was going through the gate and gave us the finger, wasnā€™t much opportunity for conversation

He left the gate open too, of course :rage:

Cyclists should be made to register and wear number plates on their backs so you can report them

I wish Iā€™d thought to record him on my phone but it was all to quick and we were a bit taken back

3 Likes

The militant, jobsworth cyclists are the worst but you do get some cyclists who genuinely seem to act as if they are guilty for holding you up. This is indicated by their legs suddenly making speed on the pedals so as not to hold you up.
The other considerate ones will veer to the other side of the road to the path, get off and walk for a bit. Thus allowing the queue behind them to ease and erase ā€˜Red Mistā€™!

Last Sunday, many of the roads in my area were closed off to allow the Commonwealth Games cycling competition to take place.
In preparation for this, traffic calming chicanes and other road calming surfaces were removedā€¦ to be replaced after the event.

These cyclists could be forgiven for the one day only!

1 Like

These militant cyclists used to be a very small minority, but since the Highway Code changes, it feels as though their numbers are swelling. Word is spreading: ā€œweā€™re now the road owners, we can do as we like.ā€ But I do agree, there are still some more considerate cyclists who recognise that weā€™re all road users, sharing the same space and need to be respectful of each other. I wish they would spread the word!!

Oh definitely! And, letā€™s face it, you locals were the lucky ones to be able to line the roads and cheer them on, if you were so inclined!

Canā€™t say Iā€™m a fan of cyclists ā€¦ they really take the mickey now you have to give them more room ā€¦ riding several abreast and holding traffic up which is obviously going to cause higher vehicle emissions but theyā€™ll still be wearing their Zero emissions shirts though theyā€™re contributing more to global warming now

3 Likes

I donā€™t. :roll_eyes:

Might have been the one who left it open, and expected you to leave it open, at least until he had gone through. Unless he was illiterate. :071:

1 Like

There is a cycling movement both against motor vehicles and pedestrians. They donā€™t care about the disabled, they donā€™t care about the elderly, they donā€™t care about blue badge users. Itā€™s a very blinkered attitude. They just want to catch motorists on cameras and they will put themselves into dangerous situations to make a sensationalist video that they can post on social media. Itā€™s disturbing.

2 Likes

Iā€™m a keen cyclist and have been for many years, pretty much first starting to ride on the road in central London which in retrospect was sometimes a hair-raising experience although I didnā€™t think about it like that at the time.

I could say that Iā€™m not a fan of motorists but I wonā€™t.
I certainly dislike the number of cars on the road but in my experience most people are sensible, give me space and show consideration, itā€™s the disrespectful idiots and arrogant couldnā€™t care less drivers that pee me right off although they are a minority, some people shouldnā€™t be trusted with a pedal car.

Iā€™ll certainly pull over to let traffic pass, I did it last night on my way back from work, itā€™s a matter of courtesy and a matter of my own safety, it took a few seconds off my journey timeā€¦no hassle!

What really makes me see red is those who ride their bikes in the town centre on the pavement weaving in and out of the way of pedestrians and whizzing around blind corners. Iā€™d love to see them fined, no second chances, no warning just a fine but that simply isnā€™t going to happen and donā€™t they know it!
Donā€™t get me started on escooters , but hey, thatā€™s a different topic.

2 Likes

IMO cyclists should be paying tax and have licences issued for adult cycles which go onto roads. They should also have number plates on clear display. I really canā€™t see why not.

2 Likes

I agree with some of what you say, but no-one pays ā€˜road taxā€™ anymore. It is now Vehicle Excise Duty, and is based on the vehicleā€™s emissions. Some vehicles with very low emissions are zero rated and therefore pay no VED. Since cycles have no emissions, they would be zero rated too.

Given that getting more people cycling would be advantageous to both the environment and peopleā€™s health and wellbeing any attempt to try and introduce tax would be a disaster, lead balloon springs to mind.

We live in troubled times, strikes, the soaring cost of energy, potential food shortages, climate change, letā€™s not tax cyclists.

Iā€™m not one to take to the streets but if they tried to introduce cycling tax Iā€™d be straight out there brandishing my placard :wink:

2 Likes

I never cycle, so donā€™t understand the problems they may suffer from cars on the roadā€¦but I am sure many do!
If I am in my car I tend to be cautious with cyclists & horse riders. The horse rider always acknowledge my careful actions with a raised hand , but I havenā€™t seen many cyclist do so !
None of us want anybody to get injured on the road, but I feel that the roads were designed for cars to use , so a little wave ā€œto say thanksā€ would make us all more tolerant!

2 Likes