Self-defence for the older person

Heh heh…So You think Yorkshire Folks are tighter than Scots Folks then? :lol:

We Yorkies have been likened to an Aberdeen Jew with the generosity squeezed out of him. :lol:

Could I defend myself??-probably not,as Im getting older and I would panic and try to think. The elbow to the throat,fingers into the eyes,heel of the hand just under the nose??. Sounds great doesnt it-I hope it never gets that far.

I’m going to make sure that my phone number is in my bag, cos if the mugger has a beard I may just hand my bag over! :wink:

You are a hussy of the first degree, Tess. :lol:

Keep a Rottweiler or a Doberman.

We’ve had a few garden things stolen around here lately, I’m going to patrol in my nightie and wellies!

Hope it’s a bearded gent with a wellie fetish, but not much good at self-defence then. :smiley:

How old is old and what defines self defence?.. I reminded of someone I met on the internet,and then met in real life He was ex army and walked with a stick,due to a couple of bullets he took.

He did not look scaryquite the opposite,a very quiet and polite man in his then 50s. One day three youths picked on him. 3-1 and them much younger and ostensibly fitter. The police gave him a hard time,accused him of assault. Well he did train with the SAS.

I’d better wear my pith helmet and take a large net with me!

I use to do Shotokan Karate in the early 80’s for about 3 years i got to be a Purple belt, and i still do kicks and punches now just to keep my agility and senses strong. So if i was attacked i would have a go i suppose or run for it :lol:

Reminds me of an argument I once witnessed between a twenty-something driver and an elderly gentleman. The driver jumped out of his car and went steaming over to the man swearing and shouting right in his face. The elderly man grabbed him by the neck and held him against the wall threatening to punch him in the face. The young driver suddenly went quiet. :lol::lol:

I always carry a can of Deep Heat with me.:smiley:

I remember reading once that ladies should pee on a would be rapist as it seems to put them off…

Although I have read that shouting ‘fire’ raises more attention than help as people want to check it isnt their property thats being damaged!

I think it’s disgusting when the courts take the side of the criminal over that of the victim.

Yes, of course I don’t know all the details of these instances, but it definitely sounds like some have more ‘human rights’ than others.

We’re not allowed to carry any sort of weapon. Only criminals are allowed to do that, I’m afraid.

However, you can legally carry a tub of pepper or a nice aerosol of hair spray!

Although they may be very effective, I doubt that they could compare with Llapp Goch.

I may have mentioned that on here before, but it is really based on ‘timing’.

No way would I attempt to retaliate, even if I was taught what to do.

Possibly, if you spend a lifetime learning martial arts, you MIGHT be able to respond usefully but how many of us would be ready ?

Years ago, when I was dragged down an alley at night, I was so shocked I just went with it and when I gathered myself together let out an amazingly deep, long yell … he wasn’t expecting that (neither was I) no idea where it came from but that produced a result.

I’m inclined to agree with that Rachel. Not sure I could think and act quick enough anyway, because we’d be in shock I should imagine.
Let’s just hope we never have to find out ey.

There’s no flippin’ way anyone is going to get away with taking things that are mine or trying to do anything to my body!
I’ll bite, scratch and kick 'em! It’ll probably hurt me more than it does them but, I will fight if I have to! Grrrr!