What an awful thing to do !!!

:hugs:

1 Like

Awwww…. You guys are so sweet. ❤️‍🩹
Thank you :hugs:

1 Like

Gosh Danny, are you a centenarian. :grin:

1 Like

What about mince pies? I haven’t had a decent one since I’ve been in Oz?

To go Global, you need to accept the mr kipling standard issue mince pie, one should not have Great Expectations once remote from Blighty. :smiley:

We would have fallen on hard times in a bleak house if I had to ask for more Mr Kipling.

To be honest, I never minded the Secret Santa at work - possibly because there were never any problems, and people usually took part with a good grace and had a lot of fun. Yes, there were usually one or two (or more!) silly jokey gifts bought, but usually for people who were known to have a good sense of humour. Though it did start to get a bit tired with one chap, who was completely bald and over the years received multiple combs, bottles of hair restorer, etc. But he took it in good part generally.

I retired 11 years ago, and a group of about 12 of us (all women) have kept up with each other in retirement, all meeting once a month for lunch (though we haven’t since Feb 2020, just keeping in touch on WhatsApp). But we’re all planning to meet for a Christmas lunch on 1st December. We do the secret santa a bit differently - as we’re only women, and all of a similar age, we each buy a gift, put it in a big bag when we get there, and then later we each take one out, so we never know who the recipient will be.

2 Likes

Awww, that’s terrible for the guy… :frowning:

Nah, he was one of these larger than life types, full of fun and never afraid to play (good natured) jokes on people. He never minded, beyond thinking how nice it would be to actually receive a decent gift for once!

1 Like

What a horrid thing to do!

1 Like

That sounds like a good idea, we do that at a women’s group I go to

I did work in one office where we did a fun one but you needed a robust personality to work there

We did a ‘totally’ broke Secret Santa. The gift all had to be £1 and under and wrapped in newspaper! We opened in the office around the tree before going off for our Christmas drinks session

It was a good laugh, lots of jokey presents from the Pound Shop and you’d be amazed what you an get for a quid!

Nobody felt robbed or worried what someone got them for a pound. There were lots of Christmas hats, light up ties and loo rolls etc and everyone took it in good part

4 Likes

Thanks @Maree , I had heard of secret Santa but never understood what it meant, so a good explanation there for us less worldly :+1:

1 Like

Secret Santa is not something I’d ever want to take part in, and thank heavens I didn’t work anywhere it was done, as I’d have said No. I also avoided Works Christmas Parties like the plague.

2 Likes

Haha that sounds like an excellent idea - no-one really has to scratch their heads to try and get something meaningful for a fiver, just go in the pound shop and get something funny. Perfect!

2 Likes

This is a good idea. Put a cap on the amount spent and make it so affordable that it doesn’t hurt anybody’s pocketbook.

2 Likes

It is a very good idea!!!

2 Likes

Guess what!

I’ve been delegated to the secret Santa :santa: committee. Heaven help me :pleading_face:

Are you also doing secret Santa!

1 Like

NO! …… they usually end in tears

Only advice I can give, price range with both lower and upper limits and stress people must stick to it

For example min spend £5, max spend £6

Make a list of participants

Write out gift tags with each persons name on. Let people taking part pick out a gift tag and that will be who they buy for. Then they can attach the gift tag to the gift they buy and no one will recognise the hand writing

Ask for the gifts to be in a week before they’re due to be given out and check every participant has one because people will forget, not bother, be sick etc

Have three or four emergency wrapped gifts in case someone flakes

Best advice? Don’t do it! :rofl:

1 Like

Once upon a time, thread diggers used to get slagged off, now it seems commonplace, how times change. :icon_wink:

2 Likes

Thank god i don`t work in an office.
I just could not be arsed.

2 Likes