Secret Santa …..good idea or not?

We had Secret Santa at the school where I taught before retirement and I can’t remember it ever causing any problems. In fact it used to be quite a laugh at the end of term briefing as colleagues opened their gifts and tried to guess the identity of the people who had bought them.

1 Like

It is, how can I put this tactfully, a bit trying at times!

In my experience of Secret Santa, someone always “forgets” to buy a gift so someone else is left without

Someone always gets angry about their gift, they don’t like it, they find it insulting or they think whoever bought spent under the suggested price

Someone always overspends wildly, way over the price limit, leaving the poor recipient feeling embarrassed and everyone else feeling like cheapskates, especially the one who bought an average price gift for the extravagant spender :rofl:

1 Like

Not sure I understand, what’s a thread digger?

And slagged off by who?

If it means digging up old threads I can’t see it hurts, new people won’t have seen them or had a chance to join in and the old hands might have something new to add?

1 Like

If only people stuck to the rules so to speak Maree.
Personally i would knock it on the head and save money.

1 Like

Ah… brings back memories of other forums in bygone days where the members all bought each other a virtual gift off Amazon.

Some of them were quite cheeky.

1 Like

Hmmmm, My mind is in boggle mode. :flushed::astonished::hushed::open_mouth:

1 Like

Well, just when I thought that things couldn’t get any worse!

Apparently, there’s some kind of fancy Secret Santa App that the youngsters utilise.

Yikes!

I was never a fan of Secret Santa. Although if I had to buy for someone I didn’t like, it was fun for a bit of mischief :joy:

1 Like

I’m quite intrigued!

1 Like

We did a secret santa once at a knitting group i went to. 16 of us. We put a price limit on but I can’t remember what it was now. Maybe £5 or £10. Most people gave lovely thoughtful knitting gifts like scissors, knitting magazines, yarn, etc but someone put in some handcream (useful for knitters) which had clearly been part used and a notebook (again useful for knitters) which had actually been written in!!

2 Likes

Key word secret :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Nothing bad though)

1 Like

My secret Santa person didn’t update her ‘wish list’ on this fancy secret Santa App.

Whatever am I going to get her. Party is on Tuesday!

2 Likes

Told you! Always a problem! What’s the spend limit and how old is she?

1 Like

Just get her vouchers?

Give her a nicely wrapped empty box.

2 Likes

Aww that’s just mean! :joy: Funny but mean…

1 Like

ZAR300. Between 30-40. I don’t really know since it’s a new team. I’ll meet her and the rest of the team for the first time tomorrow. Happy days….

It might be seen as impersonal and I am management so I need to set a good example

1 Like

I’m sorely tempted to do just that. I made a general comment in the online meeting this past Friday that everyone needs to update their wishlist or they’ll be getting whatever I deem to be appropriate… clearly, she’s not in a huff about it. The stress of this all…

Get her the book “Don’t sweat the small stuff” by Richard Carlson