Seaside Resorts

Was that the start of your first marathon?

1 Like

Metal horse on marshes almost covered by high tide.

2 Likes

Blackpool and Scarborough as a child and teenager . Happy Days!
Blackpool and Scarborough still good during the 90’s , Saw lots of shows including Barry Manilow at Blackpool Opera House ,oh yes I was a Barry fan ,what a show they put on !
Cannon & Ball were regulars too .
Later in the 90’s our hosts in both resorts retired so looking further afield from up here in the North West I chose to go South . Torquay ,Bournemouth still very places .Had some lovely holidays in both .
Not that I would ever wish to go to either now .

Before we moved from Cheltenham to Kent every year we had a holiday at Hunstanton. After the 1953(?) floods I hated the place.

All the ingredients came together to produce the perfect storm. Many lives were lost and sea defences destroyed.

My childhood friend was born the night of the floods in 53 at home in a village on the North Norfolk coast which was one of the worst hit.

A day or so later my Mum and some others went to see what they could do to help and an elderly man was trapped upstairs in his cottage. My Mum’s abiding memory was going into his front room which was full of mud with sea weed hanging around the ceiling light. I will see if I can attach some pics of the high tide levels in 53.

The highest one is 1953 and water was about 14 ft high on road

See [[2133759]] for a view before the 2013 event.

2 Likes

In the 31st January 1953 storm the Stranraer to Larne ferry sank with the loss of over 130 lives.
MV Princess Victoria disaster’s 70th anniversary marked - BBC News

1 Like

Im surprised it set sail in stormy seas , that wouldnt happen now .

There was a programme on TV just a couple weeks ago about the 53 floods. The weather conditions only became obvious after the ferry had left the shelter of the harbour. Once in open waters the nightmare began.

1 Like

On our 1953 holiday in Hunstanton I was about 6 years old, old enough to know about the North Sea floods but not old enough to understand that it was not likely to happen while I was there on holiday that summer. The damage from the floods was very visible all along the seafront, thinking back our guest house was on the front but higher up.

I think we went to that area because my mother was born and grew up in the Fens and we had relatives in the area.

As it happened that year we moved from Gloucestershire to Kent so we never went again.

new brighton used to always excite me??

I live near two seaside towns, Weston-super-Mare and Clevedon

Weston is a bit like Southend, the nearest seaside to Bristol, so day trippers, a pier, arcades etc

Is famous for having the worlds second highest tide rise and fall, plus it on the Bristol Channel so when the tides out, it earns it’s name Weston-super-Mud

And the sea is brown

But it does have it’s own beauty, lovely sun sets and a marine lake I love to swim in

Clevedon is a bit posher, with a restored original pier and a marine lake, water’s still brown though!

I miss London but love it here, it’s like I’ve fulfilled my childhood dream of living in Southend or Canvey Island

5 Likes

Beautiful pictures, I’ve never been to either seaside.

1 Like

I’ve been to Blackpool today. I’ve never seen it so busy. The weather was great too. :sunglasses::sunglasses:

1 Like

what’s with the two sets of glasses? :icon_wink:

Brilliant Ralph. You are making me feel very guilty for not getting out and about so much this year.

A pair of shades and a pair for reading. (I’m like Mr Magoo without them)

To be fair I’m only able to do it this week because the grandkids are away in France. They’re back on Tuesday so I’ll be busy again then.

1 Like

We decided on a little trip to Brighton today, an early start and leave early before it got too crowded.
As ever we made a point of passing one of our favourite shops for a little window shopping. I nearly bought an air pistol from Westons last year but decided against it. If we move to Scotland next year I’m going to need to apply for a license from the police, so first things first.

Quadrophenia Alley, covered with graffiti by devotees of the film. Those of you familiar with the story will remember it was where Jimmy and Steph had their little liaison.

It’s beer ‘o’ clock and time for a little refreshment in The Fortune of War …terrific pub for people watching and a sea view to boot!

Given the seemingly large number of ladies raising a glass or three (hen parties) along the sea front I bet there is a rather vibrant and colourful atmosphere down there round about now!
You don’t get that sort of thing in Eastbourne :wink:

3 Likes

I love Brighton ! Thanks for the pics . Yes a very vibrant place . Lots of films and tv series filmed there ?
Never did see Quadraphenia though.

Eastbourne is very pleasant too for different reasons . I’ve holidayed in both places .

That will be a big change for you moving to Scotland ?

1 Like