Seaside Resorts

I used to get taken to Blackpool in the late 70’s to see the lights and a show like Little & Large, or Mike Yarwood, and it felt really glamorous. Nowadays, how can I put it politely…its a bit of a dive :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: …what on earth are they going to do with all the derelict houses/hotels/B&Bs if theres no work, and nobody wants to live there?
Same goes for most former coastal hotspots (except Brighton or Bournemouth, which are like cities).
What are your favourite seaside places of today or yesteryear?

@susan_m love Weymouth though :wink:

1 Like

We used to think Southend-on-sea was heaven on earth when we were kids :rofl:

1 Like

Oooh…how long have you got Craig, I could waffle on about seaside resorts past and present for hours.

I will give Worthing a thumbs up, it’s just down the road from us and is far more restrained and less brash than Brighton which as Meldrewism sets in suits me down to the ground.

Perch on The Pier, a nice place for a drink, a lounge with comfy sofas upstairs and sea views of course :wink:

Posing on the pier…as you do!

There were some moddy scooters on the front, aroused more than a little interest from passers by, I overheard a few remarks about Quadrophenia.

Next time I hope to take some fishing tackle!

3 Likes

My favourite West Sussex town was where I live now, but summers now have become tiresome with all the grockles buzzing around the town etc. Worse than that though are the self caterers who shop in the same places that I do and they can clear the shelves in just 2-3hrs with little left for those who live here 24/7. To embark on a decent shopping foray, I have to be out and shopping by 07:30 to beat the grockles, or put up with what’s left :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: The lockdown seems to have increased those taking a Staycation :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

My childhood was spent on day trips to Canvey Island, and sometimes a few days in Walton on the Naze. Later Clacton, then as I got older I would take myself off to Lowestoft (where I now live), and Bournemouth.

Now I’m living in Suffolk I can get to places like Gorleston and Cromer. I once took a bus further to Sheringham. All very nice. Can’t pick a favourite, as I like them all.

2 Likes

@Jazzi its funny how one experience can define a place for you. We went to Canvey for a walk once and had to side-step dog poo all along the promenade…
We now refer to it as dog poo island :rofl:
Sorry, lowering the tone now.

1 Like

I grew up in Folkestone on the Kent coast which was a seaside resort until it was cheaper to go to the Costa del Sol.

I say “grew up” I lived there between the ages of 7 and 19 and spent every moment I could in summer swimming at the beach, in winter we would explore all the wartime leftovers, tunnels, gun emplacements, crashed parts etc

In terms of beauty, I can’t beat southern Cornwall. Had 2 summer holidays in a place called Sennen. But such a long journey to get there

1 Like

They are ok when the sun shines always look bleak when it rains .

1 Like

Is that Sennen Cove near Mullion?
A lovely place, went there years ago with my late wife.

@Chilliboot yes fabulous beach, and quite close to St Ives and Mousehole.

1 Like

That’s why my family have a bolt hole high in the Purbeck Hills as all rain does in enhance all the greenery👍

Barry Island was a regular haunt as a kid.
Loved the funfair which is a shadow of it’s former self…and Barry Butlins where I loved the chairlift.
And Barry Island station is a bit of a dump now…
Not a lot has changed otherwise -and I escaped there several times during Covid Restrictions.
The Dudgies you tube channel gives the place a bit of free publicity.

1 Like

@Furryanimal can’t look at anything but the cute cat! :heart_eyes::joy:

1 Like

:grinning::smiley_cat:.,.,.

1 Like

1 Like

The clouds look like somebody drew them!

I can see the flag of St Andrews.

:laughing: well spotted!