Seaside Resorts

I spent all my childhood holidays in Canvey Island in the 1960s, absolutely loved it @Jazzi

We used to stay in a “chalet” in Thorney Bay Holiday Camp, it was a converted army camp and the “chalets” just huts with families 5 of
or 6 sleeping and cooking in them

Health and safety would have a fit nowadays but they were the best holidays ever and I’ll never have a better one, no matter how far I go and how much I spend!

Do you remember the model village, the cockle farm, the roundabouts and the “amusements”, complete with bingo?

And the watermark on some of the houses from the time they had that terrible flood?

2 Likes

My most visited resorts are Scarborough and Bridlington, near enough for a day out, I also like Whitby it’s a good two hour drive, but having been a courier and loving driving, nothing in England or Wales is out of my range, perhaps not for a day out though.
Llandudno is in probably my favourite UK seaside destination.

But Anywhere on Guernsey has to take the top spot of my ‘Wish I was There’ places…Mrs Fox and me would live there if we could afford it…

Mrs Fox feels so relaxed on Guernsey that she loves to pose in the gardens…

2 Likes

@OldGreyFox Ha ha, indeed! Scarborough is a lovely place. Never worked out the Chinese theme in Peasholm Park, but I’m sure theres a rational explanation. Beautiful, calm walk though.

1 Like

Hemsby use to be our destination when we first got married , there was Sand dunes and Chalets right on the banks , over the last 50 years the Sand dunes have gone , and the Chalets each year get washed into to sea when the sand gets washed away .

This is worth a watch

2 Likes

I love Guernsey Foxy although I haven’t been for years.
The boat trip to Herm is a delight as is Sark.

Did you ever visit the German underground hospital in Guernsey , such a melancholic place.

On a more cheery note the firing of the canon at Castle Cornet is fun, I can’t remember if it’s on the hour or not. I must get back at some point, my son’s never been.

2 Likes

I can`t stand Blackpool,what a dive it has become.
Southport,Llandudno ,Tenby and Brean for me and Dh.
We could sit all day looking out to sea.

2 Likes

@Maree I don’t remember a lot of Canvey, only going over the bridge at Benfleet, I think. We’d go with neighbours (in their own car) and I just remember photos of us sitting by them on the grass.

1 Like

The video of the sights and sounds of the beach is priceless to me. We don’t get to go to the coast much, but it brings back all of the memories.
Thanks

1 Like

I was born in Essex, and my first memories would be of Southend and Cliftonville, although I can’t remember that much about it. Happy memories though.
When my sister and I were older, we would go to other spots in Devon with my parents. I can’t particularly remember, which places, but it usually included a show on the pier, which, as you say, was extremely exciting (at the time)

3 Likes

My favourite seaside places are mostly on the North East Coast.
I’ve never been a fan of the seaside areas that have all the fun fairs, deckchairs and Candy floss stalls. I prefer the quieter parts.

I like to visit Robin Hoods Bay and Whitby now and again for mooching around.
For beaches, I quite like Sandsend to have a walk along and, moving further North up into Northumberland, there’s some gorgeous beaches.

My absolute favourite beach for kite flying used to be Beadnell Bay - I haven’t been there for years but have many fond memories of playing on the sand dunes and beach there.
For a coastal cliff walk, I love the cliff path from Craster to Dunstanburgh.

I’ve never visited many seaside resorts in the South.

1 Like

The Isle of Wight has some nice beaches and they are looked after. Unspoilt and you can go fossil hunting. My favourite beaches are sandbanks in Poole where I used to stay on business in the late 90s, that was before it became sensationalised by property developers; any beach on the Lleyn Peninsula in North Wales - Aberdaron, Nefyn which used to have a pub on the beach overlooking a lovely cove with boats, Abersoch - some great coastal hikes and walks there; Hastings - so much nicer than Brighton and some fabulous cliff top walks. I have a lot of links with Hastings so that will have to be the ultimate favourite.

3 Likes

Ah yes, I once stopped the car on a drive and popped onto the beach at Sandbanks. Just to have a look.

1 Like

The Jurassic coast of Devon has the be the most exciting coastline I’ve ever seen. I visited once with my friends family when I was about 12 years old. What an adventure, it’s a place I’ll never forget. I should make an effort to get back there soon.

1 Like

@notahasbeen used to love those summer shows. The Opera House in Blackpool was the mecca for every top entertainer.
Cannon and Ball famously did 12 shows per week there once, all sold out, from May to November. Then straight into a panto season…thats proper grafting for an entertainer.

I’m not a fan of the busy and commercial beaches. I prefer a remote and empty place, preferably very beautiful too. Here is a favourite, way up north east Scotland. Lunan Bay is about 3 miles of most often empty sand.

always love seeing hastings in foyles war series - I assume that really is Hastings they are filming in ?

Just wondering if anyone from in here was in Brighton when the Rocker/Mods riots/punch-ups kicked off. A less aggressive group of bikers inc me just about made it out of town as it all kicked off.

I am not sure as haven’t really watched it. Will have to check it out.

Didn’t visit the underground hospital Chilli, but we did visit the war tunnels and were given an ID of one of the prisoners. You could follow their story as you progressed around.
The cannon goes off at midday and frightened the life out of me when I first heard it as we walked on the road underneath…I love visiting the castle and the tuna sandwiches in the cafe’ are tasty…

I love that place…

2 Likes

Like this one Lincs?

3 Likes