Seaside Resorts

There was a programme on TV just a couple weeks ago about the 53 floods. The weather conditions only became obvious after the ferry had left the shelter of the harbour. Once in open waters the nightmare began.

1 Like

On our 1953 holiday in Hunstanton I was about 6 years old, old enough to know about the North Sea floods but not old enough to understand that it was not likely to happen while I was there on holiday that summer. The damage from the floods was very visible all along the seafront, thinking back our guest house was on the front but higher up.

I think we went to that area because my mother was born and grew up in the Fens and we had relatives in the area.

As it happened that year we moved from Gloucestershire to Kent so we never went again.

new brighton used to always excite me??

I live near two seaside towns, Weston-super-Mare and Clevedon

Weston is a bit like Southend, the nearest seaside to Bristol, so day trippers, a pier, arcades etc

Is famous for having the worlds second highest tide rise and fall, plus it on the Bristol Channel so when the tides out, it earns it’s name Weston-super-Mud

And the sea is brown

But it does have it’s own beauty, lovely sun sets and a marine lake I love to swim in

Clevedon is a bit posher, with a restored original pier and a marine lake, water’s still brown though!

I miss London but love it here, it’s like I’ve fulfilled my childhood dream of living in Southend or Canvey Island

5 Likes

Beautiful pictures, I’ve never been to either seaside.

1 Like

I’ve been to Blackpool today. I’ve never seen it so busy. The weather was great too. :sunglasses::sunglasses:

1 Like

what’s with the two sets of glasses? :icon_wink:

Brilliant Ralph. You are making me feel very guilty for not getting out and about so much this year.

A pair of shades and a pair for reading. (I’m like Mr Magoo without them)

To be fair I’m only able to do it this week because the grandkids are away in France. They’re back on Tuesday so I’ll be busy again then.

1 Like

We decided on a little trip to Brighton today, an early start and leave early before it got too crowded.
As ever we made a point of passing one of our favourite shops for a little window shopping. I nearly bought an air pistol from Westons last year but decided against it. If we move to Scotland next year I’m going to need to apply for a license from the police, so first things first.

Quadrophenia Alley, covered with graffiti by devotees of the film. Those of you familiar with the story will remember it was where Jimmy and Steph had their little liaison.

It’s beer ‘o’ clock and time for a little refreshment in The Fortune of War …terrific pub for people watching and a sea view to boot!

Given the seemingly large number of ladies raising a glass or three (hen parties) along the sea front I bet there is a rather vibrant and colourful atmosphere down there round about now!
You don’t get that sort of thing in Eastbourne :wink:

3 Likes

I love Brighton ! Thanks for the pics . Yes a very vibrant place . Lots of films and tv series filmed there ?
Never did see Quadraphenia though.

Eastbourne is very pleasant too for different reasons . I’ve holidayed in both places .

That will be a big change for you moving to Scotland ?

1 Like

Yes Brighton is very vibrant, I lived there for ten years right in the centre by the station, probably a bit too vibrant for me these days. Quadrophenia has become a bit of a cult film, of course there’s always this old classic.

Eastbourne is far more laid back, much more my cup of tea.

It will be a mega change moving to East Dunbartonshire, right on the West Highland Way. Loads of outdoor activities, excellent fishing on the Clyde and River Kelvin as well as other bodies of water. Glasgow’s a terrific place for shopping, eating out and generally doing stuff!

1 Like

We live within striking distance of most of the mid south coast resorts. They can mostly be visited on a day-out basis. Brighton has been a regular one, as has Littlehampton and Wittering. Certainly Portsmouth and Southsea. Loads of photographs taken over the years. Here are a few…

HMS Warrior, Portsmouth Harbour

Me and the tribe in our younger days. All in their fifties now…

Littlehampton, River Arun estuary. In the distance along the railings are Mrs mart and a friend.

3 Likes

Nice pictures Mart, I haven’t been on The HMS Warrior for years, must put it on the things to do list.
The Arun estuary gets very, very tidal as I remember , defo wouldn’t want to fall in!

A trip to the top of the Spinnaker is worthwhile.

1 Like

Yep…defo, as is a trip on the sun deck of the catamaran to Ryde :slightly_smiling_face:
Even better if it’s a case of staying over for a few days before returning :+1:

1 Like

We have done the Isle of Wight on a day out (to and from Portsmouth by train) but it was a rush. We said we’d spend a few days there but haven’t done it yet. I hope we will. This is a photo of Portsmouth taken from the Isle of Wight. Lots of lens zoom…

2 Likes

repulse bay HK hotel HK - preferred the original

(Share https://youtu.be/I-2RgJgYIko)

Some great pictures of the South Coast Chilli and Mart.
Spent some time down in Plymouth while working there for six months. Mrs Fox came down for a week and we borrowed the works van and saw the sights. As a courier I visited both Brighton and Eastbourne and enjoyed both, even though I only stopped for the day and had to move on to another job. I remember walking along the clifftops to beachy head? I think…A beautiful day and I always said I would return for a longer stay with Mrs Fox…I had better do it before I can’t drive that far…Must get a car first though…
:thinking:

2 Likes