Sculptures that excite

Some artists/sculptors have definitely got what it takes when the naked human form is their subject.
Whilst browsing what is new out there I came across this large female form made from a kind of lattice structure that made me stop browsing and admire the exactitude of an early to mid 20’s young lady caught in a moment of time. . .fantastic! I wish I had the aptitude and access to materials to at least attempt such an amazing structure.

3 Likes

Hi LD, I’m almost certain you would enjoy the following in light of your remarks.

One of the most memorable places I ever visited was Vigeland Park near Oslo Norway. It is “life” from birth to death & the perpetuation of humankind.

2 Likes

This is beautiful. LD especially with the sunset .
Where is this sculpture ?

I love sculpture I particularly like this one at Romsey .
In November it’s covered in poppies

3 Likes

The three graces

4 Likes

That sculptor was a bum man :grinning:

phwoar

These excite the imagination.
Still impressive but trying to get my head around how imposing they must have looked when painted in garish colours as was the rest of the temple is truly mind boggling.

3 Likes

I can’t help being most impressed by ancient Greek and Roman sculptures as well as those of the Renaissance and Neo-classicism. Michelangelo’s David is just one example. I’m fascinated by his brilliant idea of how to make the most of that block of marble and by the way he implemented it. Just look at the back of his right hand. Stunning.
[https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4d/‘David’_by_Michelangelo_FI_Acca_JBU_014.jpg]
Jörg Bittner Unna, CC BY 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0, via Wikimedia Commons

1 Like

Yes indeed it did when last there and I would like to visit again, but alas, fully comp health insurance for the over 80’s is prohibitive and also my wife can no longer fly, so a revisit is off my to-do list. Thanks for the videos :+1: and I’ll run them through via the projector this afternoon :clap:

1 Like

It is somewhere over the pond at the sea’s edge as it was banned from being in a more prominent position inland, and as someone who is completely into the human form, it’s something I cannot agree with. In our early years together, Mrs LD and myself were part-time life models (we needed the cash) right up until 2wks before the birth of our 1st daughter. I had her in oils from one supreme artist, but a devastating house fire in '96 stole it from me :cry:
EDITED to add
I found this link that can explain better than me :point_down:
Here’s why a 45-foot tall nude sculpture may be coming to the National Mall (usatoday.com)

I have a copy in my garden as Mrs LD likes it as much as I do :+1:

Is that Canova’s first version now in the Hermitage Museum?

Oh, I don’t know, just an internet image. I chose it as it’s showing two sides.

1 Like

Brilliant sculpture is … brilliant (unlike my vocabulary). Anything by Moore or Hepworth.
But the most impactful for me was the kelpies outside Falkirk. Just wow.

4 Likes

A bronze figure in Aberystwyth…

4 Likes

…representing humanity rising from the chaos of war.

2 Likes

There’s a statue of King Richard 1 The Lionheart of England outside Parliament which bemuses me.He only visited the country twice and that was just to get money.

And a newer one in Richmond of Virginia Woolf on a park bench where you can sit and have a chat with her.A bit spooky.

That makes at least two of us then :wink:
I could add more, but the bot would most probably show me a red card :grin:

2 Likes

That may be true but that’s probably not what he was chiefly associated with in the collective memory. Looking back at the time it was erected it becomes clear that it was installed for reasons that were thought to be more significant by those in power who selected the statue as representing British values and reflecting the spirit of the times at the Great Exhibition and who finally decided that it should be positioned at the very place it now stands.

1 Like