RTFM? Do You Ever Do it?

RTFM (Read The Flipping Manual) is, probably, the best bit of advice usually given, to those with a problem, whenever they are trying to deal with a technical problem, on their PC, car, mobile phone, and many other things.

The thing is, almost every device comes with some sort of instructions.

But do you read them

Imagine if that problem you just had was in there!

I raise this thought because I was just stuck on trying to tighten up the screws, on a toilet lid (Oh yes I was) and I couldn’t figure out a way to do this without pulling the toilet away from the wall & then having to put it back & re-seal all round it.

U-Tube, didn’t help, and time was lost at Wickes, etc.

Then I found a small instruction note which had come when the toilet was installed - job Done!

RTFM!

No swearing please!

4 Likes

“Look at The Book” is what I say, or what has been said to me if I have asked how to do something without reading the instructions. But being a fixit girl, I tend to know what I’m doing now! :wink:

4 Likes

Not only do I read the manuals - I write them, too … :wink:

1 Like

Hi PixieK :wave:

I’m a fixit girl as well

:icon_lol:

2 Likes

Depends on the piece of equipment or whatever.
TV, Blu Ray players I don’t bother with the manuals. There are so many functions that I would ever use I don’t bother.
Furniture say from IKEA I will read the manual just to make sure I’ve got the right pieces together.

1 Like

If all all fails read the instructions!

2 Likes

:023:

:100:

2 Likes

Always… cover to cover…
However I frequently don’t understand a word :laughing:

2 Likes

I cannot remember the last time a manual made complete sense given they are invariably written by people who’s first language is not English.
YouTube and forums for me or even the product makers customer service department provided they have UK one.

1 Like

Whenever I buy some new equipment I always read the manual from cover to cover - then I file it in an expanding wallet thingy - labelled ‘Instruction Manuals’ - I put that in that well known ‘safe place’ - and it is never seen again!!

3 Likes

Hey Minx! :wave: Yes, we ladies know a thing or two about making things work!

1 Like

If there’s anything I can’t get to grips with easily, I’ll RTFM. Not all of it though, just the relevant part.

Fixit girls?
I’m impressed.

I’m a little bit obsessive about reading manuals/instructions before doing or using things to be honest, having been caught out before with silly things like Ted’s example.
I dare say that anybody that has ever built a lot of flatpack furniture will know exactly what I mean.
:grin:

1 Like

Well…I can proudly boast that I built our entire living room shelving a few years back without look at the instructions.

It may have involved a couple of naughty words and lots of coffee, but I got there…only took 3 days :joy:

2 Likes

I recently put an Ikea flatpack unit together. It had been hanging about for so long the assembly instructions were missing. I got it together OK and continued to tidy up our son’s flat. Then I found the instructions. I read them and was pleased to find it had been put together properly.

1 Like

the strangest instructions I ever had came with my new glasses On “How to wear your new glasses” the optician must have thought I was some sort of idiot…I’ve been wearing glasses for 50 years :laughing:

1 Like

Read them? In my case I wrote them!

1 Like

Snap … :grin:

I missed your post - sorry about that.
What sort of manuals in your case?
Mine was industrial power electronics.

IT mainframe application systems (automotive parts supplier) initially and then mainframe/PC application systems (local government) latterly.