Rotator cuff pain

I have a rotator cuff problem. I didn’t hurt or injure it, the pain and stiffness just started. I saw my GP who confirmed it was rotator cuff problem and not a frozen shoulder. I self referred myself to a physiotherapist who examined it but only gave me exercises to do, no hands on treatment.

A month later it hadn’t got any better so she gave me another exercise to do but it didn’t help.

I started getting back pains and saw an osteopath who said the back and shoulder pain was related. He massaged and pummelled the shoulder and it helped quite a lot.

It’s been 3 months now and the pain and stiffness hasn’t really diminished. I’m seeing the osteopath tomorrow hopefully he can help a bit more. He’s brilliant but the NHS doesn’t routinely use osteopaths.

Has anyone else had this problem? How did it finally resolve itself and what interventions did the medical/other treatment providers use? How long did it take?

I had a frozen shoulder once and it was “cured” by pinpointing the actual site by ultrasite then giving me a steroid injection. My physio said they might consider that eventually. I feel like screaming because when I move my arm in the wrong directions it’s agony, even Tramadol doesn’t help.

1 Like

I had a rotator cuff injury and it took 8 months to a year to heal and was very painful. I didn’t go to a physiotherapist but did light stretching and then yoga. This was about 6 years ago. Good luck with your treatment. These types of injuries take a while to heal

1 Like

Thanks for this. I thinks it’s getting a bit looser but it’s still painful and things like Voltarol don’t help. It’s annoying that I didn’t actually I mute it, it just happened on its own. According to my physio it’s not that uncommon

1 Like

It’s a really difficult injury to have to deal with.
Even suggesting pain meds isnt wise. Pain is what tells you it’s still injured and with pain meds you might over do it which might make it worse.

I highly suggest you get some epsom salts and have one or two soaking baths. Add a cup or two of epsom salts. It’s high in magnesium which gets absorbed through you skin and really relaxes the body naturally which will help with pain management in a more organic way.

Patience is truly necessary with this injury.
Try not to do too much with the injured shoulder however don’t allow it to seize up either. Even when you think it’s all better, don’t overextend yourself. It’s an injury that takes a LONG time to heal.

I wish you the best in your recovery.

I had a frozen shoulder, time was the only healer (Two years as it happened) but it’s gone now.

1 Like

Thank you for this. Unfortunately we only have a shower otherwise I would have had umpteen baths by now. My GP has prescribed strong pain meds but they are also for a long term injury in one knee, arthritis in the other knee and arthritis in both thumb joints. (Ouch). I’ve also tried acupuncture but sadly that didn’t work for me (my husband says it works for racehorses, I keep telling him I’m not a horse!)

I’m seeing my osteopath this morning so I’ll talk it over with him.

Regards

Margaret

1 Like

That’s too bad but it sounds like you have some good medical support which is great. If you are taking pain meds for arthritis then they are probably helping relieve some pain.
And no you’re not a race horse. Lol. That’s kind of cute actually. Acupuncture usually works well for pain. I wouldn’t rule it out completely. Maybe in a week or two try it again.

Good luck with the osteopath. Your choices of treatment are smart ones. It’s great that you have such a variety of choices.

Good luck.

We are very lucky. We live in a small market town which is fairly affluent. It’s easy to attract high quality GPs, nurses etc and there’s a good clinic that offers the services that the NHS doesn’t usually offer.

When we lived in the wilds of Devon we found an acupuncture clinic which offered a trial of 6 acupuncture treatments free. My husband and I had the same problem, arthritis in the thumb joint. It worked well for him, did nothing for me grrrr …. I’m seeing my osteopath this morning, I’m going to ask about TENS treatment.

Oh the joys of getting older

Regards

Margaret

1 Like

Oh yes! A tens unit. Good thinking. I forgot about those. That’s a very good idea. I use those on my back and they work well for me.

Good luck with your appointment. I hope it goes well for you.

I had some injuries over the years but not that one. I found a Chiropractor was the way to go for me. He’s wonderful I leave his room feeling great often after feeling like crap when I go in.

When I had this problem with my left shoulder, I saw my GP several times who only prescribed strong analgesics. Then on the last visit for that problem, my usual doc was out on an urgent call so I was sent into see a locum. She was brilliant and prescribed anti inflammatory gel called Voltarol Emulgel. That worked wonders and within a few weeks I was using that arm as though nothing was wrong other than slight residual pain. Now, some years later, I am also prescribed the same gel for age related arthritic pain to good effect.

I have got through 3 tubes of Voltarol, doesn’t do a thing for my shoulder. I’ve tried ice packs and heat pads, they work a little bit. I’ve just seen my osteopath, he’s doing a lot to help but I can’t get him on prescription. Grr …

Margaret Jenkins