Roof repair video

We thought just a couple of ride tiles at the top to fix back down and replace a lead gulley. Turned out the original cement used was a weak mix of sand and cement. So they had to do a complete ovehaul over the bathroom both sides. In the video the top tiles waiting to be cemented back in

3 Likes

Is this taken with the new camera?

Looks like he’s making a good job of it :+1:

Does he know you were filming and he’s a star?

Older houses here seem to have held up pretty well but on a new estate near my son there are piles of tiles thAt have come off nearly every roof because they aren’t attached properly when they were built

Oooh realspeed, l was more concerned that he was doing work on your roof and not wearing a hard hat!

yes Bruce it was and unedited.

As an apprentice served bricklayer, that (weak mortar, ) is the way it should be.

The mortar should never be very strong, as what happens then is any movement then cracks / damages the weaker bricks / tiles, rather than the replaceable / repairable mortar.

Years ago they did not use cement mortar to lay bricks, they used lime mortar & then put a facing mortar over that as a pointing. This allowed the bricks to move, but the cement mortar kept the weather out & thus the permanently soft & water permeable lime mortar intact.

1 Like

I gathered that when I had a problem building a side flank extn to a prevoius 1930’s house we used to own. No chance of getting a roof hanger into the joint so had to remove half a brick after asking buiding inspector who oversaw the work and a great help.
Things a bit different now something like a 3 or 4 to one mix is the norm so these guys said

1 Like

The mortar holding the ridge tiles in place will not have existed in isolation. The same mortar will have been used on the tiles at the gable end & the ones supporting the tiles down the gulley.

It could be that what happened & what was needed & why, was misunderstood & that the mortar holding the ridge tiles in place, had simply needed to be replaced, as it was not possible to replace the tiles without damaging the mortar. Or that it was cracked before replacing the tiles. As tiles above, the missing tiles need to be lifted to get the replacement tiles into place.

But equally, this could have been packing. Making a cheap job much bigger. “Oh yes, we can replace those tiles off a ladder. A quick, easy & cheap job.” Then… “Did you know your ridge tiles are in need of repairing? You’ll get water in & more damaged tiles if you don’t. But we will need scaffolding for that. It’s a much bigger job.”

I fully agree. Strong holding mix will not allow thermal micro-movement, so cracks will occur and thus any grip is lost. The most common failure will be found in the verges and of course the wind will do the rest.

I’m surprised that you didn’t have it replaced with a dry ridge system, so much better than cement… :thinking:

Strange how often a couple of hours, of fixing displaced roof tiles, seems so often to become an “Oh Dear, the previous builder didn’t do it right, so it’s going cost a couple of thousand more than we first quoted”

Often in roofs that have been OK for 30 or 40 years, amazing!

Roofs have long be fair game for those who like to cash in on what we can’t see for ourselves!

1 Like

You all seem to have forgotten that we also had a leak from the lead gulley that got through to the bathroom ceiling. so that and the one the other side we had replaced as well. These guys are the ones doing the job and I would prefer to trust they are doing the job properly. What was done years ago was ok for the time but methods and ideas change

the whole roof didn’t need it just the end bit

1 Like

neighbour had his ridge tiles fixed as well and the guy doing it removed roof tiles and walked up the slat tile support underneath
Not only no scaffolding not even a roof ladder let alone a hard hat

Some times H&S can go to far, fall arresters, air bags lest they fall , etc.

1 Like

What good is a hard hat on a roof? Or do you live in an area where things routinely fall from the sky?

When delivering to building sites as an HGV driver, I have had office morons walk hundreds of yards across a site to tell me to put a hi-viz vest on, as people will not see me without one! The moron had seen me hundreds of yards away. That is why they walked across the site. :icon_rolleyes: :icon_rolleyes:

I have also been told it was site rules that no hi-viz or safety hat. No unloading without them. But I was parked on a public road outside the site. So not on their property & thus I was able to do what I wanted. So I phoned the haulage company, told them what was happening & then took the load back & the building firm had to pay for redelivery. As their office idiot had chosen to not unload me, without good reason.

What is the point of hi-viz or safety hat if it’s not going to make anything safer? What does it do, other than give power to office eunuchs?

1 Like

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I will applaud that. I worked in the building trade before H & S was even considered & have been asked to do some really dangerous & stupid things. So I do appreciate H & S. For example I would never work near a JCB using it’s back actor without a hi-viz jacket & a safety hat. As a safety hat is brightly coloured & gives the JCB driver more chance of seeing my head. A safety hat can be about more than having things dropped on you.

But H & S has gone too far in some companies where they allow H & S to control the job, rather than make the job safer.

I worked in chipboard manufacturing notorious at one time for being a dangerous profession, no doubt H&S improved the safety no end , Still we’re off topic here, but the guy on real’s roof I’m sure is careful enough, trouble is it only takes one slip.

1 Like

I worked for a builder and often used to wish someone would video me at work and post it on the internet. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Perhaps no one ever saw you work. :eyes: :grinning: