Right to protest after arrests of anti monarchists

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-09-13/people-have-right-to-protest-against-monarchy-this-week-police-say

The Metropolitan Police issued a statement following a viral video from Parliament Square in central London, when a barrister who was holding up a blank piece of paper was asked for his details by an officer.

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-09-12/prince-andrew-heckler-thrown-to-ground-and-arrested-during-royal-mile-procession

A man has been arrested after shouting abuse at Prince Andrew while he was following hearse up the Royal Mile in Edinburgh.

https://www.rte.ie/news/uk/2022/0911/1321825-british-royals-latest/

1 Like

The protestors on the procession deserved to be arrested IMO but the man outside parliament didn’t. It’s a matter of decency and respect I believe.

2 Likes

Ditto, they also risk being mobbed.

There is a time and place for protesting, and the Queens death and associated processions are not the place or time. Especially when members of her family are present. What if it was your mother or grandmother?

7 Likes

Wikipedia:

NVR
Nonviolent resistance is largely but wrongly taken as synonymous with civil disobedience. Each of these terms—nonviolent resistance and civil disobedience—has different connotations and commitments. Berel Lang argues against the conflation of nonviolent resistance and civil disobedience on the grounds that the necessary conditions for an act instancing civil disobedience are: (1) that the act violates the law, (2) that the act is performed intentionally, and (3) that the actor anticipates and willingly accepts punitive measures made on the part of the state against him in retaliation for the act. Since acts of nonviolent political resistance need not satisfy any of these criteria, Lang argues that the two categories of action cannot be identified with one another.

What are the UK civil rights?

Image result for CIVIL RIGHTS

This usually means the right to vote, the right to life, the prohibition on torture, security of the person, the right to personal liberty and due process of law, freedom of expression and freedom of association.28 May 2021

I think you should be able to voice your dissent on anything, so long as nobody is harmed in doing so.

This is precisely the time to voice such opinions if anyone feels that strongly. Simply walking down the street on an average day saying you don’t like the Monarchy, won’t have as much effect as saying it amongst the pomp and ceremony of bedecked men with bits of parchment.

2 Likes

Would you like it though Pixie if it was your father/mother/son/daughters funeral?
In this case, it should be classed as treason.
This demonstrates all that is wrong with society these days.

1 Like

Security in London likely to be unprecedented, those wishing to protest will have to be extremely careful and mindful that foreign diginitaries will have their own security personnel.

IDIOT

But it isn’t though.

This woman never did a thing for me or mine, and didn’t for you and yours either. I’m all about respect, of course, and I wouldn’t personally sabotage any lah-de-dah procession because I have better things to do than attend them.

This woman is a symbol, fair enough, but like I have said elsewhere…it’s almost a crime to laugh these days. A day of mourning, perhaps a Bank Holiday for the funeral, fair enough, but all the rest…nah.

4 Likes

I largely agree with you Pixie, but concerning someones/anyone’s death you must respect the feelings of the loved ones left behind. I might say good riddance under my breath, but I would feel it’s the right thing to do not to make a bad situation worse for the mourners.

2 Likes

I agree with this, yes…but in the OP, a barrister was asked for his details for holidng up a blank piece of paper Foxy…if I held up a blank bit of paper at a funeral, everyone would just think I was a bit unhinged and ignore me :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I wouldn’t Pixie, I’d sign it and give you a few bob…
:sunglasses:

1 Like

That made me laugh! :joy:

1 Like

I am not a monarchist, but I am a respecter of people’s rights to conduct funeral services in peace and respect. Vocal or aggressive demonstrations against this or that during a funeral, is gross bad manners and highly dis-respectful. Those who conduct themselves in this manner, need to engage some appropriate decorum of the occasion, and, choose a less inappropriate time to conduct their protests.

8 Likes

The Family is harmed.

The majority of the Public is shamed!

What good did it do to allow these People to make their point?

I think that the big mistake, we always make, is to Publish what these people say & do!

2 Likes

What?

They did that all by themselves?

I don’t feel shamed…I’m glad someone stood up for their own opinion :woman_shrugging:

Its called balance…you have the fawners, and you have the dissenters.

To be fair, the Barrister only posted a small part of his conversation with one police officer.
Also, he was never arrested, so that rather renders the point he was trying to make fall flat, nothing bad happened to him as a result of him deliberately goading the police officers to see what reaction he would get. All that happened is that a police officer had a reasonable conversation with him, explaining why he was questioning him, in the light of things the Barrister had previously said to other officers that day

• plus we only heard his side of the story - even when you read the story in his own words, it is clear he deliberately drew police attention to himself by asking police officers whether he would be arrested if he wrote something against the King on his blank piece of paper.
    He then made his way to another part of the crowd, where he was spoken to by the officer he video-ed.
    I would imagine his previous behaviour and questions had made police officers want to keep an eye on him to see where he went and what he did, because it probably seemed like he was out to make a point and possibly create a disturbance.
2 Likes

What did the Royal Family “all do” which makes it all OK for some attention seeker to make a scene at the Queen’s funeral?

1 Like

So…the fact that we are all going through a horrendous time financially and facing the bleakest of winters with no end in sight, yet the ostentatious parades and pomp has the country shutting down for 12 days to “mourn” a wealthy woman who didn’t want for anything, nor will her family ever want for anything…you don’t see anything wrong with that? Aside from that there is the matter of £12 million hush money, relatives of an equally dubious nature, cousins banished to institutions, sectarianism, racisim…gosh I could go on and on. And you wonder why some people object.

1 Like

I think it downright disrespectful, place and time and all that. A funeral isn’t somewhere I would air my grievances out of respect for the mourning family and if someone did that at my relatives funeral I’d probably get locked up myself for giving them a good hiding or at least a slap, disrespectful twats

9 Likes