Rewilding the verges

I live in the country and most of the verges are full of wild flowers from the fields nature left to itself will reseed and grow eventually

2 Likes

I am all for rewilding.
It’s a win-win situation for the council and the wildlife.

there are always alternatives - the last house I lived in as a teenager had a front garden and hedge - dad’s pride and joy with paving slabs running in pairs along side on which the car was parked - the second house I lived in once married also had a front garden and hedge with a sandy colored gravel drive running alongside the house to a garage - sensible housing designs with no need for parking of cars on adjoining roads or indeed immediately infront of the house door or front living windows spoiling the view. But heh out of all the young house owners who wants to do any decent gardening these days - very few I would think. Front gardens were peaceful ; pleasurable and purposeful! a sign of better times of the past

Never seen a new housing estate?
There is barely room for the umpteen bins we have today in front and rotary a washing line in the back .

oh? so the popn is increasing exponentially and you cannot prevent it and so it’s like rats in cages so to speak?

Yes
Land as always is wealth .

what is unless land?

Corrected

apparently many grave sites in churches are now being neglected as they are the care of the councils not the church I understand - wot a shame

Great idea to let the verges grow wild and encourage all the little furry things to live so close to the roads that they all get run over. There’s a good reason why the verges should be kept neatly trimmed, and it’s not always for road safety issues.

1 Like

. . .deleted . . sorry

No it’s not on the contrary graveyards make havens for wildlife and many have been named sites of scientific interest.

I have tried rewilding the verge ouside my house so there is less grass to mow. Alas all the rain this summer killed all my seedlings and the only animal that took up residence was a rat (now dispatched).

I will have another go when spring arrives but it is looking very sad at the moment even the Mother in Laws Tongue looks despondent.

it’s not what many more brits are telling me on other sites - they are up in arms with weeds!

There is a definite lack of common sense in my area too! There has already been one press noted nasty accident attributed to lack of verge/hedgerow maintenance🤬

Define weed.

2 Likes

Starmer!!

1 Like

They are probably rubbish sites

For a few years they’ve been letting them grow but at the edges they’ve been cutting it for visability.