Retro Fads and Crazes

Aye. As you’ll recall, you used to be able to buy ciggies from vending machines in stations and outside newsagents. Think most of these got converted to selling boxes of poppet sweets.

1 Like

Hopefully not Arsenal!

Next fad…chopper bikes

1 Like

Flares.

1 Like

Now just stop it… I’d love one!

Gosh, this thread takes me back - I remember when I was 11, my 17 year old brother used to send me to the shops for 10 Embassy, a packet of Keiller butterscotch and a Daily Telegraph Newspaper.

We came from a family that read The Mirror, so just buying the DT was a bit of a teenage rebellion! :rofl:
I loved sitting beside my bro, sucking butterscotch and trying to help him solve the DT Cryptic Crossword, while he smoked his cigarettes, with his feet up on the mantle shelf - I felt so grown up if I managed to solve a few clues! :joy:
Happy Days!

1 Like

Punk rock , glam rock , cereal that tasted like cereal and not cardboard, woolworths, FS1E’s

1 Like

Pachouli oiled leathers

2 Likes

Green Shield stamps? I still use tools that I got with those stamps they used to come with particular brands of cigarettes as well as general shopping.

2 Likes

Didn’t Green Shield become Argos?

I had a Davy Crockett hat like all my mates.

1 Like

Coloured vinyl and picture discs became popular at the end of the 70s. I had The Stranglers four track ep in pink and Abbey Road in green.
I think that The Police released Message in a Bottle in a dark blue if I remember correctly, it certainly had a picture cover.

I love Pachouli oil.

What about peacock feathers in your house as decoration? I remember that being a huge thing in the 70’s, vases of them in peoples houses. I thought they were so exotic as a kid, and wanted them so badly.

Patchouli oil works pretty well in the little burners that people use for wax melts, just add water and few drops of oil, a little goes a long way although I do enjoy that distinctly earthy aroma.

1 Like

Yeah, I haven’t used it like that…its an idea! :thinking I had it in incense. I did put a couple of drops on my skin once as a scent, and my daughter said I smelled like mud…:frowning_face:

1 Like

Ha! It’s not to everyone’s taste.
We used to rub it into our leather bike jackets as Jaded has already mentioned , the air used to get very hot and sweaty in the mosh pits but the patchouli always won through. :+1:

1 Like

Oh the days of moshing… :metal:

1 Like

Indeed although I wouldn’t attempt it now!
I’m really not an impulse buyer but I couldn’t resist ordering a bottle of patchouli oil, I simply had to, just under £3.50 and arriving tomorrow…far out :v:

1 Like

SAME!! :joy: omg, too funny

1 Like

Space dust - the sweet powder you put on your tongue and it crackled away

Spangles - square boiled sweets with dimples either side that you sucked until the dimples joined and made a hole through the middle

Adidas Samba trainers

3 Likes

greenshield stamps! We had a lovely dinner service courtesy of greenshields stamps from Tesco

1 Like