Retro Fads and Crazes

I thought I’d create a little space to have a bit of a nostalgic wallow, a trip down memory lane if you will.
Ginger beer has been mentioned on another thread, that didn’t half bring back memories of the home brew craze during the 70’s.
You could walk into a branch of Boot’s and find quite a comprehensive range of kit’s, buckets, hydrometers etc, everybody was at it. As I remember the end product wasn’t exactly quality as far as the cheapo beer making kits were concerned but half the fun was getting there!

Another 70’s fad, Origami. Robin Harbin used to present a program on the box which I used to quite enjoy. I had a couple of his books, all the tucks and folds under the sun, my origami frog was rubbish, it looked like it’d been run over :frowning:

Clackers!

EanTU-OXsAEOeyg

3 Likes

I wasn’t allowed clackers :frowning:
There were stories in the press about kids losing eyes due to clackers as I vaguely remember, they could shatter.

It might well have been a 70’s hysterical health and safety thing but clackers were fun…a bit like conkers on steroids :wink:

1 Like

Following on from Clackers - how about Deely Boppers - for all … erm … occasions!!

images2

index

index3

2 Likes

I was a 70s teenager and I never encountered “deely boppers”

My random memories spanning across the 70s are C&A, Top Shop, bell bottoms, loons, hot pants, tye-dye T-shirts, flowery blouses, granny shoes, platform shoes, long skin-tight plastic boots worn with short skirts, short curly nylon wigs from Asda!, long feathery Rod Stewart haircuts, big sunglasses, maxi dresses, hideous brightly coloured nylon shirts and kipper ties, lots of orange and brown geometric patterns on curtains and wallpapers, Aqua Manda toiletries …
I could go on but I’m having sensory overload! :rofl:

1 Like

Poodle skirts!

f811681210a64c2352457d39cdc49d48

and Can Can petticoats with net so stiff it ripped the backs of your stockings!
1950s-crinoline-underskirt

2 Likes

I remember Hula Hoops … we were all really good at keeping them going, doubt I could do it these days.

Also remember painting by numbers… I did a few of those :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Does anyone remember those pictures which were printed on apparently white paper but which, when you dampened them, self coloured? I’ve got a vague recollection of these sometimes being in Rupert the Bear albums.

4 Likes

Yes I think that I do.
Apply water and the colours would bleed.
We used to buy fake tattoos when we were kids, wet them, apply them to the forearms, peel off and hey ho!

We were all well seasoned sailors by the age of eleven.
Nobody but nobody had a Rupert tattoo as far as I can remember :wink:

3 Likes

teddy boys and girls in the late 40s and 50s era

Crazy Foam!
I think I used to get a cannister as a treat when I was a small child.
They used to sell it in Boot’s, happy days, you didn’t need an app to enjoy Crazy Foam :wink:

1 Like

yes i remember them , Magic colouring book , used a thin wet paint brush , think they came with the book . I remember getting my daughter those .

3 Likes

Paint brush and water??? Ooh, that’s posh.

We used to wet and use our fingers

2 Likes

We used to call them Transfers - My memory may be playing tricks on me but I think they used to come free with Bazooka Joe Chewing Gum.
We tried so hard to get a perfect picture when we peeled them off our arm.

3 Likes

Bazooka Joe, that was bubble gum, it used to come in little pink sheets or a kind of longer chunkier packet.
It certainly gave the jaw a bit of a workout!

If you were a bit of a cool kid you’d be able to blow a gummy bubble until it popped all over your face.
It was something I never mastered, just as well, my mum used to hate bubble gum, dead common :wink:

I think the transfers might have been included in the little flat packs, it was a long time ago :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Trying to remember if they came with collectable cards (small ones and not the proper football cards). Might be getting mixed up though.

However, around the time of greenshield stamps, cigarette packets used to have paper vouchers with points on them, so if you smoked say 10 thousand ciggies, you could exchange the vouchers for eg a biro… Think if you smoked 1 million cigs, they’d probably have sent you a small wreath for your funeral :grin::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

I never used the bubble gum - I hated it but my bro and I pooled our pocket money and bought it between us - he had the bubble gum and let me read the Bazooka Joe comic strip and share the transfers - I think he got the best deal.

I seem to remember we did the same with some other bubble gum which came in thin sheets, together with “footballer cards”
All the football players for all the football clubs in UK could be collected.
I don’t think I got anything out of those purchases but I had to pay half!
I was never interested in football but my bro used to make me memorise all the pictures and names of the players, which club they played for and in which position - then he would use the football card pictures with his thumb over their name and club to test me!
I can still see some of those footie players in my head now!

2 Likes

Embassy Vouchers!

My brothers used to smoke Embassy and I used to save the vouchers and order things for our home when I’d saved enough - it took ages to save up enough for anything!

3 Likes

Yep. One of our tenants died and left a load of those which his family didn’t want. Might be hallucinating but I’ve got a weird recollection that they could be used in conjunction with greenshield. Can’t recall if we ever got round to using them though

That’s right, my grandparents used to have browny ochre coloured fingertips. I think it might have been Players that they smoked, anyway they exchanged some of their tokens and kindly gave me a fishing rod.

In retrospect I dread to think how many packets of fags that rod was worth.

1 Like