Renters Reform Bill

A new law the rentals reform bill will make it obligatory to allow pets in rental property
I am an animal lover but this is not right .
Why should landlords be obliged by law to have animals in their property ?
Some people are careless with other peoples property as it is without adding pets to the equation .
The Bill also makes it difficult to not rent to people in receipt of benefits .
I don’t know how this will work as many agents will not accept rentals form DHSS .
I know of several occasions where people have rented their property in good faith and then the tenant has stopped paying and they have been unable to evict because they are on benefits and have no where to go .
I don’t think that landlords should be obliged to house people at their own expense not every landlord is Rachman.

My son told me he was considering buying a flat to let for his friend who was divorcing and living in a shared house , he wanted better for his mate . I talked in great detail with him and he did listen. I said what if your friendship ends , if he (the friend ) should meet someone new , lost his job , stopped paying the rent etc etc .

When I next saw him and asked about the flat and had he bought it , he said he and his mate no longer spoke as his mate had gone off the rails etcetc . He was glad he hadn’t bought a flat to rent as he could be in big financial trouble

I don’t think this is such a bad idea…but if I were a landlord, i would put in some clauses which would allow me to make regular checks on the property to make sure everything was alright and in good order. Also I would amend the “wear & tear” clause if they had a pet. It’s all about balance…not everyone is a bad irresponsible pet owner.

1 Like

I’ve only got a handful of properties that I lease out and will continue to enforce a no pet rule. If a tenant acquires one that tenant will be out. There’s always more ways to kill a cat than choking it with cream.

As a landlord if you refuse to abide by the new ruling would this put you in trouble with the law ?

If so how would you deal with it .

Because it will be taken to extremes .
There will cases of hoarders with umpteen animals cats who are not house trained etc etc
The landlord does own the property after all and will have to clean up and deal with any damage done by pets
However most landlords are reasonable and generally allow some leeway especially if it is a good tenant ,still I do t believe in obligating people to take tenants with pets in the same way as obliging landlords to take tenants who smoke .

2 Likes

Yes I agree , not all tennents look after property they rent , I live in a block of 6 terraced houses , 4 are owned 2 rented, the gardens overgrown to 3 ft and higher
weeds , furniture chucked in the back gardens and barking dogs and all very unkempt .

I’m not sure who will really benefit from this new bill , I suppose its done to protect the tenant but I would not want to be a landlord

All of my tenants are allowed a single pet under the terms of their lease (no breading allowed). However, they are also required to have extensive and expensive tenant’s liability insurance with full pet clauses AND in conjunction with the lease guarantor, indemnify my family (herein after referred to as the owner) for ALL avoidable losses however incurred during their tenancy. In all my years of renting to responsible tenants, not one has gone past the asking stage.

1 Like

Renting out properties is all down to how the owner researches their prospective tenants and also how deeply they check the lease/payment guarantors out for reliability.
To let a property without a guarantor is, IMO, simply asking for trouble and to be avoided in every instance.

Interesting question susan

1 Like

No Irish, no blacks, and no dogs!!
‘It Was Standard To See Signs Saying, ‘No Blacks, No Dogs, No Irish’ | EachOther

The trick is to do what you want without obviously breaking the law. The key word is “obviously”. As I wrote there are more ways etc. It’s a strategy that has served me well all of my life this far.

LD why is it when I watch those programmes on TV and the tennent owes thousands in unpaid rent and the tennent refuses to leave then the ballifs come in making charges rocket and all hell breaks loose . The landlords tell us it all started off good . Surely they would have done background checks

A policy I still follow as much as I can.

1 Like

People lie and use false references.

1 Like

There is a very good reason that I cannot understand the landlord let happen. They let the property without a guarantor who is the one the legal team will pursue if the rent slides. Without a legally bound guarantor, a landlord is asking for trouble.

Try getting a guarantor though when your dealing with a low cost market. Even finding one then try screwing any cash out of them. Costs more in legal costs than what you stand a chance of recovering.

My family do not entertain the low end of the renting market. Too much of a risk and bound to attract benefit seekers. My latest tenants were sent from the local RR technology centre Goodwood and as they ticked all the boxes, settled in without any fuss or bother.

Tbh I wouldn’t ever offer to be a guarantor not even for my kids , though they are good people and both have mortgages but one never knows , jobs can be lost and family fall out can happen .

No never

1 Like

I think you are wise. Even the best guarantors can hit hard times and then their property is at serious risk. During my early renting years I was forced to mention a lein to home owner but then they soon paid up in full.