Rejoining EU!

From snippets of media reports it seems to me that there
is a growing trend to softening our approach to our
dealings with the EU over the NI protocol and also over
our. regaining control of or fishing grounds ?
Frost has allready split the control of fishing regulations
three ways and now is suggesting that the ECJ should be
allowed limited control of regulating the imports/exports
in NI !
Are we being led back into the EU by stealth now ??
What are your views? or don’t you care ?
Donkeyman! :thinking::roll_eyes:

That was always going to be a problem DM. The Brexiteers need to keep the pressure on but with COVID, there are far too many opportunities for the remainers to destroy the economy, the health service, our freedoms and our country just so they can say “I told you so”.

Heard it on here as well … phrases like “the UK having less freedoms than the EU so people can choose to go back into it” … that kind of thing.

What we need is a prime minister who wants to push the advantages of Brexit and not keep destroying the country, jeered on by remainer media.

1 Like

@Bread , Well l may be wrong , but things seem to be going
that way to me ?? But maybe Frosty is doing it the other way
and hopes to achieve a hard Brexit by stealth instead, ??
If so he is being very stealthy imo ??
Donkeyman! :thinking::thinking:

The majority of the public wanted to leave.

The Majority of the MPs, however, wanted to remain - and still do.

(you can check all of the Remainer MPs by searching on “MPs backing remain”- the number is rising!)

My guess is that, when they’ve finished burying Boris, they’ll use the time before the next election to tell us all how much we’ll be welcomed back in to the EU!

But then, I do admit to being a pessimist!

@Tedc , Exactly as l see it Ted! I’m an optimistic pessimist
normally but leaning towards pessimism on this issue !
I don’t think they will go back into the EU formally ? As this
will need another referendum surely ! But they will agree with
all the EU wants bit by bit and things will stay as they are now?
Neither fish nor fowl !!
The worry l have is that the voters will fade away over time
Due to fatigue and will take the easy way out by not supporting
Brexit ??
Donkeyman! :-1::-1:

1 Like

One of the reasons for the Irish Protocol is to deliberately keep part of the UK in regulatory orbit with the EU. It makes us rejoining the EU really easy, all we do is move the Irish Sea Border to Calais and the whole of the UK is back in the customs union but with no say in it. It’s a permanent foot-in-the-door for the dreadful Irish Backstop.

Bin it.

Now

1 Like

Hi

So why did Boris sign up for it and say it was a good agreement?

It was the only way to leave the EU at the time with a free trade deal. If he had continuing negotiating then the risk was we would have left the EU without any trade agreement in place and lose political support as the deadline was coming nearer and nearer.

1 Like

Hi

We did not leave the EU with a full Free Trade Deal.

We left with a conditional deal on goods but not services, which are our biggest export.

We cannot move the Border back to Calais, we can only have our Border in Dover and years after Brexit we have still not built the Border Facilities to enable this to be done.

The EU have run rings round us and I object to it.

Possibly. :thinking:

I don’t care very much. :slightly_smiling_face:

Exactly, Bread!

Wouldn’t be the first contract signed on the basis that re-visits would be necessary afterwards.

• and, probably, won’t be the last.

To have walked out, back then, on the base of a disagreement with one, or two, of the terms, would have been exactly what the EU wanted.

Done contracts, seen all this stuff before, can take lots of revisits to get what you want, but you have to persevere!

Lock down your ‘wins’, have another go at your ‘not yets’!

Sometimes, “one small step at a time” works.

The other side WANT you to get bored!

1 Like

In other words, he lied and cobbled together any old agreement and pretended he thought it would work while knowing perfectly well it couldn’t and not really believing in it

Just to force Brexit through quickly to grab the glory for himself and avoid the blame of leaving without a trade agreement and the U.K. having to go under WTO

He negotiated it with the EU under false circumstances, pretending he would stick to it but never meaning to and thinking he could force changes later

So why would they let him or trust his word on future negotiations?

He also lied to our people in pretending there could be an NI agreement acceptable to all parties and that you could have your cake and eat it

He is, and always will be, a snake oil salesman and now the chickens you voted for are coming home to roost

3 Likes

There are no tariffs on services Swimmy thats why. Services are regulatory recognised between the countries.

We shouldn’t need additional border facilities under the TCA - it should be exactly the same as before.

The Irish Protocol allows for making unilateral changes. Most treaties do, otherwise we would never sign them.

Don’t believe the hype over the “breaking international law” hysteria either, its the remainers making a bad point. Treaties are broken all the time, just look at how many countries don’t comply with NATO contributions - most of them in the EU

1 Like

Is it me or is Liz Truss the only person in government doing anything ?

1 Like

What, and believe you instead? :smiley:

Whenever rubbish is being spoken, then yes, it is usually you. :slightly_smiling_face:

You’re more than welcome to prove me wrong Harbal, but you never do. All I receive from you is childish nonsense and insults.

If you want to participate in a debate about serious issues, then be serious and sensible and we can have that debate, but if you refuse to do that and can only resort to that kind of behaviour then just remember it’s not just me that you are spoiling the good spirit of the forums for, its also everyone else who has to read your childish rubbish.

Fair enough ?

1 Like

@Maree ‘,chickens coming home to roost’ ?
Oh l do hope so Maree !
It’s what l voted for !
What is bad about being in the WTO ??
80% of the world trade under it !
The EU was set up to benefit Germany and France only, other members
were needed to supply the cheap labour needs of them only !
UK didn’t have cheap labour so they fleeced us by charging extremely high
fees to belong to the club !!
I would be so glad if we scrubbed the whole BREXIT ‘deal’ and left completely !
Ask yourself why the EU has not allready kicked us out over all the shenanigans
Boris has got up to ??
It’s not because of their concern for the well being of UK citizens ?
Donkeyman! :-1::frowning::-1:

1 Like

It’s true that there is much Lying, wheeler dealing, hiding the negatives, obfuscation, spin, etc., in our lives.

Practically everyone we deal with is doing it.

Many are good at spotting it, some are not.

Trouble is, if everyone told you the precise truth, every time you bought something, would it work well?

Maybe that’s for another topic.

To be fair, Maree it wasn’t just any old cobbled together agreement, it was the WTA which was negotiated by May and Ollie Robbins - the same agreement that Johnson and Davis resigned over because it was that bad.

Under the circumstances it was damage limitation and delivering an exit from the EU which Johnson (to his credit) achieved - at the time he was told it was impossible to leave the EU with an FTA signed up.

The Irish border issue has been a problem handed to us by the intransigent EU and jobs worths which we have had to put up with in order to get our exit completed. Now that we are no longer under EU rules we can sort it out albeit it being a much more lengthy process that we were lead to believe.

We are in control over what we do, unfortunately Johnson hasn’t the political will to take drastic action, which is what we need right now.

1 Like