Recipes and ideas In the kitchen

As you may or may not know I love being in the kitchen cooking, particularly this time of year when there is so much fresh produce from the garden.
A couple of days ago I prepared and pickled all of the shallots…

Today I’ll be making moussaka with aubergines from the greenhouse…

Hopefully picture of completed dish to post later. :blush:

6 Likes

@Barry Barry that all looks super organised :icon_cool:
I look forward to seeing the end result.

I love aubergine, in the holiday house we stayed in this year the owner told us to use any of the herbs and vegetables in the garden and there were lots of small aubergine in the greenhouse which I turned into crisps for the children.
I particularly like it in lasagne .

That reminds me too I must get some shallots for pickling.

3 Likes

At least those children will never be able to say they were underfed Meg…:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Fresh from the oven now, just letting it rest for half an hour before dishing up…

4 Likes

@Barry …yum Barry that looks lovely , :smiley:
I hope you enjoy your lunch…

1 Like

Looks good Barry!! :+1:

1 Like

Thanks it was delicious, it was served up with a small side salad and a fresh baguette. The traybake made 12 portions so ten for the freezer, worked out at around 75p per portion… well pleased. :+1:

3 Likes

Bloomin 'eck @Barry!
Cheap as well as looking utterly scrumptious.

1 Like

How many cloves of garlic did you use in a 12 portion recipe Barry?

I didn’t use any Rhian, we don’t like it that much and often remove it from our recipes.

12? Blimey, you serve up small portions. Glad it was enjoyable.

1 Like

Hi

It looks great Barry.

1 Like

Certainly wasn’t a small portion Jan, it took up half the plate then with the salad and baguette we were well sated! :grin:

Thanks Swimmy, we were well pleased with the result.

Barry, must have been a whacking big dish then. :rofl:

Trust me Jan, it’s the biggest we’ve got, 14" x 9" x 3" deep… :+1:

1 Like

Can we have the recipe Barry, it looks great.

Hi Susie, I don’t have a particular recipe for the moussaka, I watched a couple of YouTube videos and looked up recipes on Google and the made one up, an amalgamation really but really keeping it simple, such as roasting the veg instead of frying first. One video that I particularly liked for the method was this, quite a flamboyant Greek but I did use his method…

Good luck if you try it anyway, ours was delicious… :+1:

Doesn’t it go cold?

I love moussaka - and that one looks really good!

No Tabby, just takes the edge of the heat and allows it to set just slightly so that it holds it’s shape and layers when cutting and serving. :blush:

3 Likes