Recipes and ideas In the kitchen

Thank you, Barry, that is a good tip - especially when portioning for the freezer.

1 Like

@Barry I find with my vegetarian lasagna which is similar that letting it rest allows not only the layers to set but it also ‘develops’ the flavour :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yesterday I made some beetroot chutney which is a favourite of mine. I have had a poor year in the garden for beet, which is usually so dependable, but after rearing really nice seedlings in the spring they failed to thrive for some reason, so I only just managed enough for this.

I still use a recipe that Cookie Cate let me have on here years ago, it really is a lovely brew.

Beetroot boiled and rest of the ingredients prepared…

All in the pan ready for cooking…

The finished article (jars courtesy of Tesco marmalade… :grinning:)

Recipe below…

Beetroot Chutney

3lbs uncooked beetroot
1lb cooking apples (weight after peeling and slicing)
1lb onions
1 garlic clove
2 teaspoons salt
3/4 pint of pickling vinegar - Sarson’s do a good one or make your own.
1 level teaspoon ground ginger or fresh root ginger if you have it
1lb sugar brown or white whichever you prefer
8oz of sultanas (if you like)

Cook beetroot in salt water for about an hour and a half depending on size, until tender. When cool, skin beetroot and chop into cubes. Peel, core and chop apples into small cubes and weigh them. Peel and chop onions and garlic finely (I use the food processor) Put everything into the preserving pan, stir over a low heat until sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer very gently for another hour and a half or until the chutney is thick. Pot and seal.

People say this chutney improves if kept for several weeks before using but I just love it fresh.

5 Likes

Watched the video Barry, looks very good, but a lot of messing about doing everything seperatley.

Just a question of using the bits that you thought were good ideas such as roasting the veg instead of frying which worked for me, but remember he is just doing television, nobody actually cooks like that… :wink:

1 Like

@Barry I would second that Barry :grinning: and for anything involving most layered vegetable including moussaka, lasagna, ratatouille etc and looking to get the maximum flavour out of a dish going to the trouble of roasting them first is well worth the effort .

1 Like

This thread is making me hungry! Looks great Barry :023:

2 Likes

bread and butter pud
casserole lamb
I cooked a whole leg of lamb one Sunday and a favorite for some of the spare lamb is this Casserole.
Lamb Sliced
Tin of Tomatoes with the Juice
A Mild Gravy, so all Covers the Ingredients
Onion
Green Beans
Boil and slice a few Potatoes and add to the top
about 40 minutes before the end…Crispy/Brown for us…
add extra veggies to your own tastes
Takes about 1 hour 15 mins on middle heat…

The Bread and Butter pudding is a standard Recipe
I left too much fruit on top, so they went a bit too crunchy, but lesson learnt
I cooked it in the microwave for about 10 mins (I think, as was early one morning and had a fancy for a different style of brekkie!!)
15 mins approx in the oven…cuts right back on the oven cooking time…
Looks large, but it was a small pyrex dish…honest…and I ate it all. :innocent:

4 Likes

Now, after seeing all those gorgeous dishes…I need something to eat

1 Like

Wow Dianne, they look real scrummy, I love bread and butter pudding, particularly when made with teacakes or hot cross buns, in fact now that you have given me the itch I may have to scratch it sooner rather than later… :grinning:

2 Likes

I made Hot Cross Buns for our good Friend Jason of Mantel Farm fame…He said he could not believe the outstanding taste…he was really wow’d…
Just showing off now…yep guilty as charged…

2 Likes

I love B&B pud as well - have been known to add a splash (or two) of whisky!

2 Likes

I can’t wait to get back in the kitchen…when I actually have one. All the recipes look lovely…aubergines yum yum :eggplant:

1 Like

When will your kitchen be done Summer, I do hope it turns out as you imagined as I love being in ours. :blush:

we only just got planning passed Barry …waiting for builders quotes now but I don’t think the build will be till spring now as most builders are so busy…thankyou for asking :slight_smile:

1 Like

Rosemary had a recipe that used four egg yolks, so instead of giving the whites to the dogs as usual she made a meringue instead, and with the addition of a bit of whipped cream and some raspberries from the garden she made this pavlova which we donate to a family lunch today… :drooling_face:

3 Likes

@Barry - looks delicious, Barry.

1 Like

Today I made tomato soup with surplus veg from the garden, tomatoes, carrots, onion and basil, (although celery courtesy of Tesco… :kissing_closed_eyes:)

Raw ingredients.

Prepared veg

Finished article (minus a bowlful which I will have for my tea)…:hugs:

My first attempt at making this but it’s delicious, and has made ten portions for the freezer.

5 Likes

That looks good enough to eat, @Barry

1 Like

@Barry Barry :slightly_smiling_face: it’s good to see such an organised cook, I hate ‘messy cooks’ .
The soup looks lovely … :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like