Real books vs e books?

Don’t mind either a book or ebook. The advantage of an ebook is that it is so small and portable.

The charging business is a furphy - the ebook lasts for weeks on one charge because of the way they work, so it is only a matter of occasionally plugging it in to your computer or charger when you remember. I have never had a flat battery with an ebook.

I’m full in with ebooks and only have a few paper ones left.

I prefer e-books because they are so portable. I tend to go for long reads and handling a thumping thick book whilst reading in bed is just too cumbersome.

[SIZE=“3”][FONT=“Comic Sans MS”]I thought I’d never like anything other than a paper book and I’ve still got several that I’ll never get rid of, and one or two still to read, but then I got a kindle and wouldn’t be without it. [/FONT][/SIZE]

For someone living abroad and wanting to read English books an e-reader is invaluable. I have one of the original kindles and it’s still going strong after
about 7years almost daily use and I’ve just bought myself a Kindle Fire which is great for reading in bed, no more moaning OH about the lights being on.
I do still read paper books that are passed on from other expats but find them not as easy to hold as an e-book.

I have 118 books on the device, and 389 on cloud.
Could you imagine carrying all them books in tree mode.
It’s not that I have read them all, but as they are ‘FREE’ from Amazon daily downloads, well I like free.
Many of them I start to read, don’t like them for one reason and another, and delete them. But they don’t get deleted, they go to cloud.

That’s what I like about the Kindle, I can try a sample and just delete it if it’s rubbish.

I love my Kindle, but I do like hardback books, they seem so permanent and reassuring.

Yes, I have hardback books as well. The bookcase would look a bit weird without them. :lol:

So have I. Most of my tree books are non-fiction.

I have a few classics that reading on a Kindle would seem like sacrilege…a good real book, a drop of port on a winters evening is very pleasant.

I love real books and always will but also enjoy using my kindle paperwhite for several reasons. It is easier to hold than some of the big heavy hardbacks, there are lots of freebies/cheapish books available, it can be used late at night without disturbing my husband and I can sit outside to read in strong sunlight (when we get it) with a larger font so no need for my reading glasses.

I love any kind of book!

I thought I’d never like or get used to eBooks but I have read dozens on my Kindle, I buy them if they’re less than a fiver.
Otherwise I’ll buy paperbacks if there’s an offer…

Expensive books I order from the library…tomorrow I’m collecting one that’s been bought new, how important that makes me feel!
The library service is such a joy.
It will be a brand new hardback book which I’ll be the first to read, yummy!! :smiley:

I borrow my ebooks from the local library too, Don’t even need to leave home

Not all libraries do ebooks which is a shame. Even in my area of London when I last checked they did not do them.

I have always loved reading. There is nothing better than to escape into a good storyline, I have used both Kindle and paper books but do believe at the end of the day there is nothing better than to curly up with a glass of wine and a real book.

Hear hear !!

Reading Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit seems so much better in book form…not that my books do smell,but there seems to be a certain aroma about proper books

When I was a teenager I borrowed a book from the library in Folkestone called, “The Scourge of the Swastika” (I think that is right). It had a very musty old book smell which is strange when you think that it couldn’t have been that old because I would have borrowed it in the very late 50s.

However that musty book smell I will forever associate with horror and war crimes and while I read both ‘real’ books and ebooks I am very happy with non smelling books.

BTW On my recent trip I listened to audio books of Margaret Atwood’s “The Handmaids Tale” and Tim Winton’s “Dirt Music” I enjoyed them both very much. Audio books are perfect for when you are driving for hours on end.

Ebooks must be a blessing for those who like to read while on holidays - light weight, easy to pack, and hundreds of stories at the finger tips.

Audio Books are a brilliant for me in the Craft Room - I can be a messy as I like with glitter, paint and glue while enjoying a good story.

Real books cannot be beaten! The others may be more convenient but could never hope to produce the same contentment of a real book, a comfy sofa and a large glass of wine!