Real books vs e books?

Paper books are nice, i have a huge collection, but now use a kindle, only because you can adjust the size of the print, sometimes the print in books is too small for me to see these days, my daughter reads her kindle anywhere and everywhere, even in the bath

Canā€™t really knock the Kindle. Iā€™m looking into trading in stocks and shares - just a few bob (literally) - and have so far downloaded 8 books from Amazon. 6 of them were free. Less than Ā£2 spent so far :slight_smile: .

Lotā€™s of free Kindle books here

http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/scores/top

I picked some great Sci-Fi classics like War Of The Worlds, 20,000 Leagues etc

A good link that - thanks.

I have a Kindle paper white.
I think they are great tbh.

A Kindle Paperwhite for me. Easy to read day or night (with or without the bedside light on) and a charge of the battery lasts for ages.

I never thought I would be a total convert to e-books. Had my first electronic book (a Sony), some ten years ago, long before Kindle was even invented. Enjoyed using this when I was travelling, in waiting rooms etc. But always kept my large library of books and used my local library regularly.
As this system does not allow to purchase and download books, my kids bought me a Kindle eighteen months back. Have found it wonderful. Love the different text size and the ability to read it without even having to have my bedside light on. For me it totally convenient and light to take with anywhere. Charge on it lasts ages and uses the same charge cord as my 'phone - so charge one at night - so it also acts as a night light by my bed, and the other occasionally for a couple of hours in the morning.
I prefer light reading these days, and think it highly unlikely I will ever purchase again a proper book.

I also like printed books when at home , but seeing as I,m always travelling the kindle wins every time, as its less bulky and there are always a couple of new books loaded on it, I also have the benefit of re- reading some of my favourite books on there too.

I have a Sony, but it resides unused on the bookshelf. A Kobo Touch is up for sale here - trouble is, I only read non-fction such as architecture, European history and electronics, so fiction is out. Is a Kobo compatible?

Give me a printed book every time, I go through two a week. I have dozens on my Kindle app and read them when away, or when I run out of real books.

Ditto Cee, I have books on my Kindle all the time, invaluable when youā€™re going away or a train journey, but Iā€™ll buy a real book when I can and often order from the library.

I am in Spain at the present time. I have my kindle and a good supply of books on it that I have downloaded whilst at home. Free of course from Amazon.

I use BookBub for my download books. They send me a list of offers weekly, some free others circa 90p. I read reviews on the books on Amazon before I download.

As quite a voracious reader, when storage became increasingly difficult & when it started to get increasingly difficult to find decent books in local charity shops and car boot sales AND they started putting prices up (I mean, above a pound a book? Really?) I bought my first ereader. A Kobo which lasted me a few years until eyesight etc. lead me to a Nook Glo - which again I kept until I found another Kobo, preferring their software.
This time a larger-screened H20 so a bigger screen and itā€™s waterproof, so I can read in the bath (I should be so lucky) or by the pool on holiday. The battery life is great & it has a slot for a memory card which is great for my needs because like Emjay, I like my books to be free wherever possible. :wink:

I still have a few ā€œemergencyā€ physical books but I can still have two or three books on the go at once on my ereader so they suit my needs just fine - something that even five years ago I would never have imagined.

Ohh give me real books anytime!
Theres nothing like the feel and smell of paperback/hardback booksā€¦I have loads just waiting for me to read,I like to keep a store ready to choose fromā€¦most are picked up for pennies from bootsales then after ive read them I pass them onto the charity shop or anywhere that wants books.

Im not against kindles or e readers its just that theyre not for meā€¦I used to have a tablet with the kindle app on it and enjoyed reading a small selection of books on it ,but still sold the tablet and carried on with paper books :slight_smile:
I really hope the world will never be without paper books

I use my kindle in bed, but I am thinking of upgrading to a Kindle Fire. I have the Kindle App on my IPad which I like for the larger screen.

What happens when they run out of trees?

Emjay we can just keep all the books we have in circulation nowā€¦it will be several years worth of reading till we run out :twisted::lol:

Yes but, even paper books get worn out. And before you say batteries donā€™t last for ever, they can be changed. Also I have a kindle paperwhite, an old kindle keypad, kindle fire, iPad, another tablet, and they all have kindle reader on. AND they all seem to have all the books that I have downloaded into cloud.
Ainā€™t this technology wonderful.
Problem isā€¦ I donā€™t get much time to read. ā™‚ļøā™‚ļø*

:023:ā€¦tech is wonderful to a point Emjay:-D