Ration Books, Coming Shortly?

When I was a lad, living up North, we had to have Ration Books.

If you went shopping, each shopkeeper would take the appropriate number of tokens, out of your little Ration Book, and away you’d go.

Life became a game of trying to find your way round Rationing.

Sticks of Rock became “broken rock” which did not suffer from rationing, some farm produced goods could be purchased from the local farmer, direct.

There were “Spivs” everywhere.

What goes around, comes around, as they say!

Rationing - You’ll love it! It’s coming your way! (I predict).

I look forward to being one of those who started life, in times of rationing, to finishing life the same way!

:010: :010:

2 Likes

Blimey I hope we don’t get THAT bad, Ted! Having said that, I think it would cure a lot of ailments and really be quite healthy. I used to have an old book (a reprint) of recipes from the war and times of rationing. It was fun to try them out now and again, but not sure if I could live like that…

We are far to fussy now compared to way back why not sell things the way god intended carrots for example unless perfectly straight and a good colour they are dumped like a lot of food potatoes another example supermarkets dictate this

2 Likes

I agree so much with this, Caveman! One supermarket, though does try to make “wonky” fruit & veg a thing now, to try and get people to buy it. Its wasteful and disgusting, with so much going on ion the world. People would love a box of misshapen fruits and veg!

1 Like

I do remember rationing when I was a child in the first half of the last century when we had to collect rationed orange juice for my baby brother and I did receive a ration book during that useless Galah Edward Heath’s three day week in the early 70s.

@Tedc , Yeah, l remember those days, even shoes and clothes were rationed !?
Bread, and milk were not rationed, so we had hot bread and milk for breakfast
and sometimes for supper too !!
As you say Ted, Good old days eh ??:hugs::hugs:
Donkeyman! :+1::+1:

@Bruce , l don’t remember that Brucy ? I left UK in the seventies and l don’t
recall using ration books then . Maybe he only issued them but never
implemented using them ??:thinking:

The electric was rationed if I recall .

You all wanted to do your bit to save the planet, whatever reasons they decide to dress it up with, we all really know what all this is about don’t we…
Petrol and diesel will be either priced off the market, or it will become so scarce that ration books will be rolled out again just like they were in the seventies.
Smart meters will ration the use of electricity for those who can afford it, so your electric vehicle will spend more time on the drive than on the road. The trouble is, we are one of the few countries doing this, and don’t think that we are all in it together. You won’t see your friendly politician short of energy in their six bedroom properties.

No, Assman, they were never used, they looked like ration books left over from the war too.

Electricity wasn’t rationed as such but there were rotating blackouts, I was at Streatham Cinema watching “Dumbo” when the power went out and the cinema refunded our money.

Yer three day week because of the miners strike Caricature. But ration books were issued for petrol and diesel in the seventies but were never used. I think I’ve still got mine somewhere, it might come in handy as long as the price of a gallon of petrol is still the same as it was then.

Around 35p a litre back then when I first bought some for a motorbike.

My Honda 50 could only take half a gallon, and it cost about two bob. It would last me all week going to work, and a nip out to Bridlington at the weekend… :flushed:

@Bruce , You mean Boris went to Streatham Brucy. !!
And secondhand ration books ??
Things must have been worse than l remember !!
Donkeyman! :thinking::+1::+1:

@caricature , Are you sure that was not 35p per gallon caricature ??
I dont think litres were invented then we’re they ??

1 Like

Yeah a gallon, blooming memory ain’t what it was,

Queued round the block.at our local Sainsbury’s.

Filled my car to the brim, once I could get near a pump.

Trouble with that is, I can’t drive with my car full of Diesel!

:oncoming_automobile:

Perhaps it should be down to the vendors to apply some form of rationing at the pumps and in supermarkets when the largely media panic sets in. Not easy to do I know but I’m sure a way could be found if the will can overcome the chase for profit.

@Tedc , Why is that Ted ??:thinking::thinking:
Donkeyman!

DM, because if my car is full of diesel, I’d have to wear a snorkel to get behind the wheel!

:010:

1 Like