Putting wood in the hole

At long last (6 week +wait) our new front door and side window next tgo it is replacing Mr Bodgets efforts, the previous owner
So no more gales blowing in the hallway- a decent proper letter box ,not a carved out rectangle hole and better security

just a curious question , when did you move into that House?

is it a composite door?
My sister is very happy with hers,
Apart from it looking great which it does …It’s totally draft proof and extremely secure .

They do look nice , i was going to have a new door but it had gone from ÂŁ600 in 2019 to ÂŁ800 now .And that was just for a plastic one , mainly glass, i decided against it . And spent the money on myself instead and treated others . .

1 Like

Yes it is a composite door .

We move here about 8 year ago and it needed a lot of work and expense to correct the terrible jobs the previous owner did . New bathroom - new onsuite - new conservatory -new boiler-new cooker-new garage doors- repair widows-, and that is only part of wanted doing. Was it worth it? Definitely now more than double in value we paid but that is not the point, it is how we wanted it.

1 Like

What’s a composite door? Half door, haif living room?

Is that what you have in Australia then Bruce? how weird is that? what about some photos then. I can just see you sitting in the doorway, in your broken down rocking chair, with corks hanging from your wide brimmed hat with a beer in your hand watching the kangaroos jumping past on the way to the local billabong.

Its not just about value there is something fulfilling about improving a property and making it right. We are all just caretakers especially if you live in old property…mine was built in the 1700s so its important to keep it in good order. I understand the pride in replacing a door and knowing its done right.
…we need pics RS

I fear you are confused - all my doors are made of wood, definitely not composite (whatever that means).

I had to look up composite too my doors are wood but the house wouldn’t look right with composite…depends on the house I suppose

At a guess I’d say that composite doors are meant to replace the plastic/PVC ones which are not very secure.
When I was a postman delivering to a deprived area, I came across a couple of couple of PVC doors that appeared to have fire damage. They had melted and it had left a large hole. I later found out that the houses had been burgled after someone had burnt a hole through the door with a blowtorch…
I don’t think you can melt a composite door, and the interior of the panels are fortified with alloy or wood.

https://www.fensa.org.uk/what-is-a-composite-door

However…

What are the disadvantages of a composite door?

Image result for composite doors

Cons

• They are Expensive. One of the main turn-offs about composite doors is that they are expensive than uPVC doors. …
  • They Creak. The creaking sound that the composite doors make is also another turn off for these doors.

We have a composite door and it creaks like hell when the sun shines on it and warms it up.
The hinges also sag because of the weight of the door. We have currently run out of adjustment, so in the summer it sticks in the jamb making it very difficult to open.
Would I have another one? Nope!

1 Like

But most other houses have increased in value also, and if you sell, you have to buy another house in the same market…

1 Like

Thats a good review Fox, about the creaking ,I would never have thought that , a deffinate turn off , it would be so annoying .

1 Like

It can be a bit annoying when the house is quiet Eliza, and we have the early morning sun on the door until midday. But the door is usually open in the warm summer months. It does make it difficult to get in though when it sticks.
PS: I just voted for your great photo of the riders…Was it the tour of Britain?

Turn your house 90 degrees so the sun is not on the door. Simples

yes @OldGreyFox it was , it comes through year on year , hopefully it will come through again this year …
very exciting with the support cars + the tv crews + police out riders who attend in their droves from all over the country…

edit to say , its missing us this year

1 Like

new front door- frame and window, that small grey BT box in the top photo will no longer be wanted so that I will remove maybe

2 Likes

very nice, sure is an improvment…

1 Like

I have never seen or heard of a plastic door before never mind a composite one. What is wrong with wood?