Putting wood in the hole

That just looks like an ordinary wooden door to me. I could buy one at Bunnings (though personally I don’t like glass in a front door)

https://www.bunnings.com.au/corinthian-2040-x-820-x-40mm-entrance-door-windsor-bevelled-kookaburra-glass-win7g_p1969271

yes it does and need painting every so often. Going by price in your example seems very cheap.the finish also is a veneer which can peel away. also no style to it from the front. May as well use a bit of 6x4 plywood sheet instead
It doesn’t say it is double glazed or even have 3 secure locking positions ie top - middle and bottom.

If you don’t have glass in a front door how on earth can you watch kangaroos sitting on the door step?
also had the widow alongside done at the same time

Would it stop a crash of Rhino though?

I can assure you it is not double glazed (never seen double glazing here) but it is the same front and back and made entirely of wood.

Why on earth would you need three locking points when it has glass panels? or a window next to it? Come on! Haven’t pommie burglars worked out that glass breaks?

I can sit out on the verandah to watch the kangaroos no need to peer through the door.

Oh my goodness trying to compare a wooden door to a composite door is like comparing shanks his pony to 2023 car … composite it’s the next generation.

Yes they both do the same job but very differently .
Wood and yes I’ve a wooden door as my home is listed ! But oh how I envy my sister composite door it stronger that wood , looks divine pale greenish grey with silver hardware ,maintenance free and extremely secure totally draft and weatherproof .
imo worth the financial investment.

No I’m not getting paid for this advertisement :wink:

Interesting thread, thank you, food for thought

Because we’ve just inherited my mum’s house, a 1930s semi detached, we’re clearing it and then we’ll renovate

And I’ve been wondering what to do about the front door and porch

I rather like the door and the glass around it, which are original, I think so I was pondering sending to get stripped and restoring it all

But looking at your lovely doors I’m beginning to wonder?

1 Like

Maree
First of all for us definately a better option against MR Bodgets poor efforts to replace the original. We had the whole lot replaced including the total framework, with yours the cost may be prohibitive
funnily enough the new telephone company guys turned up as well as the new door was being fitted.
Poor overworked kettle :rofl:

1 Like

Bruce is so out of touch , must be due to living in the Australian bush. Things have moved on since he left our lovely island. Joking of course, but in in reality with the new door locked from the inside as well at night even breaking double glazed widows takes more than a brick thrown at them. Just watch videos of police trying to break a composite door even with a double handed hammer, they can’t

I would love a composite door but the building is listed
My front door with guard dog

3 Likes

That’s a lovely front door, though. My son-in-law is very into interiors and restoring properties and he goes crazy for an “original feature”

Problem is, not great for insulation, I see you’ve got a curtain :+1:

Good to see the guard dog’s on the alert! :rofl:

2 Likes

All my doors are enormous and you are not seeing things the door in the foreground is curved … it fits into a curved wall which is the entrance to the lounge… no idea how they made it curved but its always a talking point with visitors

I think your door looks lovely RS

2 Likes

Where do you live Summer…In a windmill?
:nerd_face:

I have a similar problem to yours (though not as dramatic). These days all doors are standard sizes but my house was built in the 1940s when doors were not standard, to replace my front door or most of the internal doors they would have to be specially made. Otherwise I would have to get the frame altered.

These days too, door handles and locks are in the centre of the door (top to bottom obviously) but my doors date from an era where door knobs were put high enough to be out of the reach of children.

1 Like

No just a house Foxy :slight_smile:

1 Like

My house was built by Bodgitt & Scram and none of the doors is of standard size. Just had all replaced and the poor carpenter had his job cut out planing and sanding to make each one fit, and, yes, I asked him to move all the latches and handles higher than centre. :roll_eyes::sweat_smile::rofl:

1 Like