Prince Phillip

Absolutely. You won’t have been following this thread in detail, but I have made this point in generic terms, including that it’s not only men who were heroic.

Given that my grandmother died from TB due to her working with noxious chemicals in a WW1 munition factory, you can see why I’m happy to cast the “hero” net more widely

Looking at more than a few observations here I guess some folk like to live as peasants.

All this fawning over an old man who would be hard put to give them the time of day .
Really the entire concept of monarchy in this day and age is bizarre .
The fact that vast amounts of public money not to mention deference should go towards funding a mega rich family on the basis of an accident of birth is absurd .

Philip he did his duty no more no less that anyone else .
Although I doubt he had to rough it like many who fought for freedom .

I was thinking the same thing.

I have just googled George V and it says something about … was he euthanised or murdered?

What does this mean with regard to Prince Philip?

Well, according to this news item from three hours’ ago he’s in hospital with an infection and will remain there ‘for several days’:

Encyclopædia Britannica has the answer it seems:

They also want a donation before they allow me to read anything!

His doctor bumped him off with an injection of morphine in the neck so he would make the morning edition of the Times rather than the low class tabloids that were printed later. ( if he died on his own the next day )
Cant have the kings death announced in the rubbish press :slight_smile:

Disgusting! ‘Them’ not you, Muddy!!

Apologies about that ST, no problem like that when I found that item. Very odd as I don’t subscribe to it either. See extract from that website stating what happened below:

The one scandal of King George V’s reign would not be revealed publicly until 1986, in the diary of his physician, Lord Bertrand Dawson. Dawson had written about the night of January 20: “I therefore decided to determine the end and injected (myself) morphia gr. 3/4 and shortly afterwards cocaine gr. 1 into the [king’s] distended jugular vein.” The injection resulted in the king’s death, an act alternately referred to as “euthanasia,” medically assisted suicide, or murder. According to Dawson’s journal, he intended to both grant the king a painless death and to guarantee that his passing would be announced in the morning papers rather than the “less appropriate evening journals.”

Try this one below if you wish, it has similar information within the text:

One could turn the coin over and say he has been quite a lot of trouble himself , I am afraid not a fan at all .

Has been transferred to St Barts
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56241353

Yawn. Possibly literally been put on ice untill Liz has none her commonwealth spiel then brought out to defuse the Me-again spin-off.

Please don’t continue criticising Prince Philip, he is an ill man who deserves a little compassion while nearing the end of his life, my words, not those of a Mod.

I believe Prince Philip called for Prince Charles to visit him for a reason…an assumption yes…but the dear chap is unwell, I sincerely hope he makes it, apparently the poor Queen is distraught…who wouldn’t be!!.:frowning:

Well said Mags! The poor man is ill & I would hope that none of our members are so unfeeling that they can’t offer a little compassion… whether they like the royals or not!

Yes ,time to call a halt , pretty disgraceful to deride the old and sick .

It just goes to show than when the chips are down the best place to be is in an NHS hospital that have all the requisite back up teams .

Not sounding good tbh. Fair point from Mags. Never send to know for whom the bells toll…