Prince Harry’s legal battles - Associated Newspapers Ltd (ANL) - Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN)

Prince Harry has blamed the tabloid press for “inciting hatred and harassment” in his private life, saying he ended up “playing up to a lot of the headlines” when he was cast as a “playboy prince” and a “thicko” as a young royal.

He said he was bringing the claim “to hold people to account for what they have done, so that they can’t hide behind their own institution or organisation”, and that he was “determined to get to the bottom of it once and for all”.

Members of the Royal Family get “cast into a specific role by the tabloid press”, he said. As “spare” to the “heir” - Prince William - "you’re then either the ‘playboy prince’, the ‘failure’, the ‘drop out’ or, in my case, the ‘thicko’, the ‘cheat’, the ‘underage drinker’, ‘irresponsible drug taker’, the list goes on.

"As a teenager and in my early twenties, I ended up feeling as though I was playing up to a lot of the headlines and stereotypes that they wanted to pin on me mainly because I thought that, if they are printing this rubbish about me and people were believing it, I may as well ‘do the crime’, so to speak.

“It was a downward spiral, whereby the tabloids would constantly try and coax me, a ‘damaged’ young man, into doing something stupid that would make a good story and sell lots of newspapers. Looking back on it now, such behaviour on their part is utterly vile.”

I haven’t read into any of it because to be honest it bores the arse of me and he’s such a whiner, every tiny negative thing is soooo important and needs to be analysed and blame apportioned in meticulous detail, because it’s him and it’s sooooo important :yawning_face:

All young people of his age have had bad unfair things happen to them and they’ve had to get over it the best they can because they don’t have the resources to sue or the media attention to expose and keep on about it

His really are first world problems, aren’t they?

Wealthy, privileged people with lifestyles others can only dream of, who exploit the media when it suits them, complain that media has “damaged” their lives. He don’t look too damaged to me, mate

And “changing the medias landscape” is his “life’s work” ?

Ruddy hell, you’d hope a privileged and powerful young man like him could come up with a nobler, deeper and more soul enhancing purpose in life than that?

3 Likes

Not if he’s a “thicko” … :wink:

1 Like

:rofl:Cheers Maree! Splendid isolation will be their destiny.

1 Like

Somehow I doubt it… the isolation thing I mean.

1 Like

His devotion to his wife seems a little claustrophobic, and his children might feel obscured from the ‘normal life’ as they grow up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-65767193

What happened during Prince Harry’s second day of cross-examination as part of his hacking case:

• Prince Harry answered more questions from the Mirror Group’s lawyer, and said he chose to bring the case to court to stop “hate” towards his wife Meghan.

• He said he was suspicious after a newspaper published a story about his then-girlfriend Chelsy Davy being angry with him for visiting a lap dance club.

• The publisher’s lawyer repeatedly said some of the stories in the case had previously been covered by other news outlets and were public knowledge as a result. The Mirror denies unlawful methods were used.

• After Harry’s cross-examination, the Mirror’s ex-royal editor Jane Kerr - whose byline was on 10 out of the 33 stories featured in the case - faced the prince’s lawyer.

• She said she couldn’t remember the sources for four out of the 10 stories.

Harry has 33 shots - and only one must hit the back of the net

While so much of Prince Harry’s case comes down to circumstantial evidence (because he alleges direct proof was destroyed) there’s a very simple way to look at his chances: he’s got 33 of them.

That’s the number of sample newspaper articles he’s linking to unlawful intrusion into his life.

Think of them as 33 balls at the penalty spot. The Mirror has to save them all.

If just one makes the back of the net, the prince can declare he was a proven victim and he wins at least part of case.

:thinking:

Why everyone thinks of him as a helpless young man I don’t know .
He 38 years old not a misunderstood teenager .
Rich and privileged.
What he needs is a job to take his mind off himself .

1 Like

No way is he going to win .

1 Like

Hahaha - how convenient!
That reminds me of a Jane Austen quote from P&P

“ But in such cases as these, a good memory is unpardonable.” :rofl:

In the witness box over the course of two days he had spoken quietly, often in terse, quickfire answers, interspersed with some nervous quips - “if you say so”, he said a few times ironically to some details being presented to him. The great majority of his time in court has been facing questions from the Mirror Group’s barrister, Andrew Green, an interrogator with a reputation fearsome enough for him to be known as a “beast in court”.

But in the end, it was quite possibly Prince Harry who will have left the court feeling better about the last couple of days. He’d finished his high-wire act without falling off. He hadn’t crumbled or got wound up or tetchy, he hadn’t been dragged into too many awkward questions, he’d stuck to his own lines. You couldn’t exactly say he’d been an eloquent witness, but he’d not walked into any traps.

But when the hearing was over, Prince Harry looked relieved and relaxed, chatting to his lawyers and those backing him in his battle against the tabloids, before heading downstairs to his waiting car.

It will be up to the judge to decide on balance who seems to be more convincing, the Mirror Group or Prince Harry and other claimants - and it’s quite possible that the result won’t be known until the autumn.

Harry’s becoming an “expert” in court - he’s a serial litigant:

I believe Harry , it must have been awful to feel the horrible media stalking ready to cut deeply just to fill their pockets with money. I believe he was hacked. I don’t know what he wants from all this , he is very disturbed because of what happened to his mum, but I hope he can make the changes . The media are horrible. Capable of a lot of bad things

1 Like

The media didn’t kill his mother .

What killed her was the fact that the driver was going too fast and she didn’t have a seat belt on . Diana had a good relationship with the press who she used for her own ends too .Jornalists are people too that have to make a living unlike Harry who has inherited wealth ,

Of course stalking is unacceptable but he has no evidence at all that he was stalked .
I am surprised his barrister has brought a case with no evidence .

Evidence, if their is none, does he expect the court to favour him just because his father is now King. Agree Susan, that individual photographers can be ruthless to get ‘the shot’ making a potential fortune for them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-67707931

Prince Harry victim of mobile phone hacking by MGN newspapers, judge rules

• The High Court rules Prince Harry was the victim of mobile phone hacking by Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN) and awards him £140,600 in damages
  • Mr Justice Fancourt says that his personal phone was targeted between 2003 and 2009
  • He says 15 of 33 sample articles were “the product of phone hacking … or the product of other unlawful information gathering"
  • He rules there was “extensive” phone hacking by Mirror Group Newspapers from 2006 to 2011
  • MGN issue a statement saying they “apologise unreservedly” where “historical wrongdoing took place”
  • Prince Harry and three others alleged phone-hacking and other unauthorised gathering of information by Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN)
  • The Prince is joined in his legal action by former Coronation Street actress Nikki Sanderson, comedian Paul Whitehouse’s ex-wife Fiona Wightman and actor Michael Turner, also known as Michael Le Vell

Well, that’ll make his day … :neutral_face:

1 Like

Prince Harry has been awarded 140,600 British pounds ($268,000) after London’s High Court ruled he fell victim to a British publishing group’s extensive phone-hacking.

His trial examined 33 stories published in MGN’s newspapers, which the prince alleged were the result of unlawful information gathering.

Good on ya Hazza!

1 Like

Got to agree.

And still that awful Piers Morgan is being a nasty mouthy Scunner, he lost, he needs to get over himself.
He denied it still, even though the judge says he did it.

1 Like

Hopefully there will be some actual criminal prosecutions of those involved in the commissioning of the phone tapping

Harry has been awarded an awful lot of money. I can’t post the link as something is wrong with my tablet and it refuses to let me post links. It’s on it’s last legs I think. I heed to be on the desk PC to get links.