Prince Harry’s legal battles - Associated Newspapers Ltd (ANL) - Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN)

Unfortunately it’s impossible in this Instant to set aside they are irretrievably linked needing each other … H&H are willing to go to any lengths for publicity … Harry can dash over to play the press victim with his entourage using the most visible entrance into the court , however visit his grandmother….oh no it’s to dangerous.

However I take your point journalism is corrupt aided & abetted by the publics greed for knowledge.
The celebrity and royalty media industry is worth millions,.

Nothings changes , the Queen was available to her family by appointment only.

2 Likes

The judiciary should be able to curb MSM with the threat of a lengthy term @ HM
pleasure, if his son wins could be an option.

If he had not been told by Harry, the King would not drop any official engagements, or change his plans. The media would make up anything if they do get a chance to chat or not.

1 Like

Harry’s dislike (ok, hatred) of the red top press and particularly the Daily Mail goes back a long way. He blames them for the angst, stress and ultimately paparazzi chase that was his mother’s experience. Then he blames them for turning the country against his wife and repeatedly damning her and his marriage. So its surely easy to understand his hatred - especially when their behaviour is beyond merely critical and highly intrusive - it was downright illegal. I’d have thought it heartless to criticize him for this effort to see these tabloids held to account (which is different from criticizing his money grabbing activities.)
But note: he does not hate all the mainstream media because only the crappy red tops that behaved so badly.
See also Max Mosley.

2 Likes

It seems using the front, public door to photo opportunities and to make a point is something Harry and Meghan have done before

They seem to court publicity and use it when it’s to their advantage and then moan and play the victim when it doesn’t all go their way

I always thought Diana did the same

2 Likes

Today King Charles is in Germany on State visit so obviously had to be prepared for that.

2 Likes

From: Prince Harry privacy case: Lawyer refers to 'compelling new evidence' - BBC News

In her witness statement, Hurley says she found out she had been targeted by an investigator called Gavin Burrows who was looking for information about her and her friends Sir Elton and Mr Furnish.

Mr Burrows, she was told, employed a British Telecom engineer to put a phone tap on her landline and hide a cassette recorder in the junction box in the street.

Mr Burrows gave a statement in 2021 revealing a wide range of unlawful techniques he used for gathering information on behalf of newspapers.

No doubt they did the same (or worse!) to Diana! :icon_mad:

King Charles tried to stop the Duke of Sussex taking legal action against newspapers over alleged phone-hacking, court papers claim. In a witness statement, Prince Harry said he was “summoned to Buckingham Palace” and told to drop the cases because of the effect on the family.

The duke is suing the publisher of the Sun, News Group Newspapers, over alleged unlawful information-gathering. The case is one of three major cases that Prince Harry has made against tabloid newspapers, all alleging unlawful information-gathering. The other cases concern the Daily Mirror and Daily Mail groups.

In documents revealed at the High Court on Tuesday, Prince Harry claimed that Buckingham Palace and the newspaper group had struck a backroom deal - which is why he did not bring a claim earlier. He said he first became aware of the alleged deal in around 2012.

He said that under the deal, courtiers had secretly agreed that members of the Royal Family would put off legal claims, and the newspaper group promised to one day settle out-of-court, so as to spare the Royal Family embarrassment.

NGN lawyers deny there was ever a secret agreement.

Prince Harry’s court papers also claim that his brother, Prince William, was paid a “very large sum” by the owners of the Sun newspaper to settle his own historical phone-hacking claims. The payment was made in 2020 - but the documents do not disclose the amount Prince William settled for and do not have the details of what it related to. The Prince of Wales’ spokesman said he would not comment on ongoing legal proceedings.

NGN has denied that any secret agreement existed, with Anthony Hudson KC saying the prince’s claim was “flatly inconsistent” with other parts of his case and there was “extreme vagueness” surrounding the circumstances of the alleged deal. He said Prince Harry had not said who made the agreement, who it applied to, when it was made, or a date when it was meant to expire. The Sun’s owners say the prince’s claim for damages should be scrapped because he had run out of time - and are applying to end his case.

Blimey, Harry’s intent on riling his royal family - now he’s dragging their names into court when they did all could to stay out of it … :roll_eyes:

Prince Harry has released an extraordinary witness statement as part of a court battle over alleged phone hacking by the publisher of the Sun and News of the World, owned by Rupert Murdoch.

Includes:

“With hindsight, I now understand why staff at Clarence House [representing Charles and Camilla] were being so unhelpful and were seemingly blocking our every move, as they had a specific long-term strategy to keep the media (including NGN) onside in order to smooth the way for my stepmother (and father) to be accepted by the British public as queen consort (and king respectively) when the time came, and anything that might upset the applecart in this regard (including the suggestion of resolution of our phone hacking claims) was to be avoided at all costs.

“This was all because of the secret agreement which had been reached between NGN and the institution that there would be no actions until the end of the litigation. Indeed, when I did actually issue my hacking claims against both MGN and NGN in October 2019, I was summoned to Buckingham Palace and specifically told to drop the legal actions because they have an ‘effect on all the family’. This was a direct request (or rather demand) from my father, Edward Young [private secretary to the queen] and my father’s private secretary, Clive Alderton.”

“Judging by Ms [Maxine] Mossman’s [a lawyer representing Murdoch’s News Group Newspapers] witness statement, my brother appeared to know an awful lot more than I did on the subject of phone hacking although he did not tell me if that was the case.

“However, NGN still settled his claim for a huge sum of money in 2020 without subjecting him to a similar strike-out application, without any of the public being told, and seemingly with some favourable deal in return for him going ‘quietly’ so to speak.

“This goes to prove the existence of this secret agreement between the institution and senior executives at NGN – if it wasn’t in place then why on earth did William wait until 2019 to bring his claim in circumstances where our two private secretaries brought and settled claims back in 2012, and where he knew far more about the matter back then than I did, and also why didn’t NGN test its limitation argument against him?”

Much of Harry’s “witness statement” seems to consist of opinion and accusation rather that fact so I wonder whether it will have any bearing on the case … :017:

Mr Justice Fancourt said he is troubled by “factual inconsistencies” identified in an explosive witness statement submitted by the Duke of Sussex.

Mr Justice Fancourt questioned how Harry could state he did not have knowledge before 2019 to bring a claim while also alleging he was prevented from bringing one in 2012.

He said: “Another thing that is troubling me is what appears to be a factual inconsistency in the current pleaded case about the way the Duke of Sussex did not have the knowledge before 2019 to bring a claim and your proposed amendment which seems to say he would have brought a claim in 2012 except for the secret agreement.”

Has Harry been hoist with his own petard?

1 Like

I was determined not to get tangled up reading all this Royal rubbish but its just about impossible not to as its everywhere…

I get the feeling things will not end well for Harry I don’t know who is advising him but what a shame …

I used to think he was a such a great guy and an example what a modern young Royal should be but now I wish he would just shut up. If he is determined to keep pontificating the least he can do is get his facts straight.

2 Likes

God he’s a bore why doesn’t he go and do good works somewhere

3 Likes

The Duke of Sussex has alleged that phone calls made by the King and Queen Consort were intercepted by the publisher of the Sun newspaper during the 1990s, court documents say.

Prince Harry’s barrister said that the prince’s private information would also have been intercepted as a result.

Making the allegations, barrister David Sherborne said: “The claimant will rely on these instances in support of the contention that the inevitable and/or intended consequence of these interceptions is that his own private information will have been intercepted as a result since his father was communicating or receiving private information about the claimant’s education, health and welfare.”

Mr Sherborne also alleged that Prince Harry’s mother, Diana, Princess of Wales, had calls and messages intercepted by NGN.

The High Court hearing is expected to conclude on Thursday and the judge will determine whether the claims will progress to a trial which is due to be heard in January next year.

I thought Harry’s complaint was about his harassment by the press but, seemingly, his lack of evidence means that his case relies on the harassment of the rest of the Royal Family, some of whom he has named, presumably without their permission.

2 Likes

Ah! Headline Harry

Why the delay to do anything about it. Cynic that I have become thinks this is another ill conceived plot to keep him in the spotlight.

The publisher of the Daily Mirror has apologised to Prince Harry and a number of other people for ordering the unlawful gathering of information.

It comes on the first day of the prince’s legal action against Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN).

In court documents released at the start of the trial, MGN admitted there was “some evidence of the instruction of third parties to engage in other types of UIG (unlawful information gathering) in respect of each of the claimants”, of which the Duke of Sussex is one.

The publisher denies involvement in the case of one claimant - Coronation Street actor Michael Turner (Michael Le Vell) - but the apology extends to Corrie actress Nikki Sanderson and the ex-wife of comedian Paul Whitehouse.

MGN also said the evidence “warrants compensation”.

The publisher added: “MGN unreservedly apologises for all such instances of UIG, and assures the claimants that such conduct will never be repeated.”

The statements form part of the publisher’s defence to claims brought by Harry and the other individuals over alleged unlawful information gathering at MGN titles.

This helped me:

55m ago
10.53 BST
The honourable Mr Justice Fancourt, who is presiding over the case, has expressed frustration that Prince Harry will not be giving evidence in person today.

The Duke’s barrister, David Sherborne, that Harry will attend tomorrow to give evidence and suggested he was delayed due to his daughter’s birthday party. Princess Lilibet of Sussex turned two yesterday.

“The Duke of Sussex is attending tomorrow to give evidence,” Sherborne said. “He flew yesterday evening from Los Angeles where he attended his daughter’s birthday.”

Mr Justice Fancourt said he was “a little surprised” to hear the duke would not be attending court on Monday.

The judge said he gave a direction earlier in the trial that witnesses should be available the day before their evidence was due to be heard in case the legal teams’ opening speeches ran short.

Presumably, Harry chose to face Mr Justice Fancourt’s wrath rather than Meghan’s … :man_shrugging:

in his mind any publicity is better than no publicity which doesn’t fill his bank balance

All this birthday party nonsense is all BS .
Kids don’t really know what day their birthday and can have a party any day .
What a boring life he must lead if a toddlers party is unmissable .
Most fathers are out at work ( or try to be ) in order not to attend a kiddie wink bun fight .