Prince Harry’s legal battles - Associated Newspapers Ltd (ANL) - Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN)

Prince Harry and other individuals are suing Associated Newspapers Ltd (ANL), publishers of the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday.

The duke, singer Sir Elton John and actresses Sadie Frost and Liz Hurley are among the individuals who allege unlawful information gathering.

When the legal action was announced in October, law firm Hamlins, which is representing Prince Harry and Frost, alleged that ANL’s activity included:

• "The hiring of private investigators to secretly place listening devices inside people’s cars and homes
  • "The commissioning of individuals to surreptitiously listen into and record people’s live, private telephone calls whilst they were taking place
  • "The payment of police officials, with corrupt links to private investigators, for inside, sensitive information
  • "The impersonation of individuals to obtain medical information from private hospitals, clinics, and treatment centres by deception
  • “The accessing of bank accounts, credit histories and financial transactions through illicit means and manipulation”

The publisher has described the allegations as “preposterous smears”.

Surprise, surprise … :open_mouth:

Well, as long as he’s left “that woman” behind and sticks to the matter in hand … :man_shrugging:

1 Like

question on my mind is wheres he stopping , is he taking advantage of Frogmore House ?, did he let the Royal Family know ?
I hope the Truth comes out for either ANL or Harry .

1 Like

Good questions … :+1:

I was watching this on the news this morning

Apparently there was no need for him to attend as this is just a preliminary bit

And all the other ‘celebs’ who did attend today went in through a discrete entrance at the back

So he obviously wanted to make a show of being there, to make his point. And he was grinning from ear to ear in some shots

I was wondering about security, something he made such a fuss about in the past, did he get police security to attend or did he think that didn’t matter in this instance?

He’s said he’s going to make it his life’s work to change the media and make them accountable for what they’ve said about his family, so I suppose this is him making a start

Me, I think that’s rather a sad and pathetic life’s work for a young man. He comes from a privileged background and there are millions of families suffering from a lot worse than a little media intrusion

1 Like

Good question … :+1:

Is the court visit just a cover for a palace visit?

2 Likes

I have to say though the media - newspapers are awful they do tell untruths and hassle people for pics and write some dreadfull stuff . So let’s see if H and others can make changes .

Do you believe what you read in papers or on TV from journalists ?

6 Likes

No, but do not think any legal action will make a jot of difference.

Good for Harry! :+1: I hope he wins his case.
I don’t agree with everything Harry has done or said but I’m with Harry all the way on his vendetta against the vile and intrusive practices of the media - it is time someone stood up to them.
They have gone too far with their intrusive tricks and shady / illegal methods in their attempts to muck-rake and manipulate public opinion.
It’s not just the Royal Family and celebrities they do it to, either - families of people who go missing or murder victims have had appalling and insensitive intrusions on their privacy too.
The press get away with it because most of their victims know that standing up to them will increase the level of bad press they receive.

Anyone who is willing to risk the wrath of the media and stand up against them has my respect for doing that.

6 Likes

Pot and kettle spring to mind :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Really? How is it “pot & kettle”?

Do you think any of the claimants in this case, which include

Prince Harry, Elizabeth Hurley, Sadie Frost, Sir Elton John and his husband David Furnish and Doreen Lawrence (whose son Stephen Lawrence was murdered)

have ever done any of the things they accuse Associated Newspapers of doing?
Some of the claimants may have talked or written about people from first hand experience but I doubt they’ve been going around spying on people for 25 years or more!

The claimants allege Associated Newspapers – one of Britain’s biggest newspaper publishers, whose titles include the Daily Mail and the Mail on Sunday – is responsible for unlawful information gathering over a period of 25 years, between 1993 and 2018.

Accusations include:

• The hiring of private investigators to secretly place listening devices inside people’s cars and homes

• The commissioning of individuals to surreptitiously listen into and record people’s live, private telephone calls while they were taking place

• The payment of police officials, with corrupt links to private investigators, for inside, sensitive information

• The impersonation of individuals to obtain medical information from private hospitals, clinics, and treatment centres by deception

• The accessing of bank accounts, credit histories and financial transactions through illicit means and manipulation

2 Likes

A four-day preliminary High Court hearing in London, starting on Monday, will consider legal arguments and a judge will decide whether the case will go any further. Associated Newspapers (ANL) is bidding to end the claims without trial.

David Sherborne, the lawyer for the group of prominent individuals, said in written submissions: “The claimants each claim that in different ways they were the victim of numerous unlawful acts carried out by the defendant, or by those acting on the instructions of its newspapers, The Daily Mail and The Mail On Sunday.”

The High Court was also told Sir Elton and Mr Furnish’s landline at their home in Windsor was tapped by a private investigator on the instructions of Associated Newspapers Limited.

Documents filed on the couple’s behalf, made available to the media on Monday, said that as well as having their landline tapped, Sir Elton’s personal assistant and the couple’s gardener were also targeted.

Mr Sherborne said in the written submission: "The claimants are outraged that Associated engaged in these unlawful and illicit acts in order to publish unlawful articles about them.*

Mr Sherborne successfully represented Coleen Rooney at last year’s so-called Wagatha Christie trial.

The duke’s appearance on Monday is believed to be the first time he has been back in the UK since the late Queen’s funeral in September.

The King was due to be away on Monday on the first official state visit of his reign, but the trip to France was cancelled due to rioting over pension reforms.

He is due to leave for a state visit to Germany on Wednesday morning. Buckingham Palace said he was not in Windsor or London on Monday.

Never the twain shall meet … :question:

I wonder if he brought a Netfix crew with him ,

2 Likes

Good for him! I hope the scummy Daily Hate get what they deserve!

1 Like

I was shocked by Elton John he’s been putting on some timber …now as big as a brick outhouse , had certain amount of difficulty walking

A sort of candle in the wind but a big fat greasy one?

1 Like

Not to mention the vile name calling aimed at his wife. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

[quote=“Boot, post:8, topic:96106”]
Anyone who is willing to risk the wrath of the media and stand up against them has my respect for doing that.

Ditto.

Drop in sales is the only thing that may change their minds; or lost advertising revenue of these journalistic cartoon comics.

1 Like

Well Harry doesn’t gain my respect.
He has shown himself more than capable of conducting his own vendetta against his family.

Pot kettle !
H&M and the media have been feeding off one another.

6 Likes

Indeed, that aside, improving journalistic integrity is necessary.

1 Like

Have to say I was shocked that the King is too busy to see him especially as his visit to Paris was just cancelled…how awful he has to have an appointment to see his own dad a bit telling that