Prince Harry’s legal battles - Associated Newspapers Ltd (ANL) - Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN)

No way is he going to win .

1 Like

Hahaha - how convenient!
That reminds me of a Jane Austen quote from P&P

“ But in such cases as these, a good memory is unpardonable.” :rofl:

In the witness box over the course of two days he had spoken quietly, often in terse, quickfire answers, interspersed with some nervous quips - “if you say so”, he said a few times ironically to some details being presented to him. The great majority of his time in court has been facing questions from the Mirror Group’s barrister, Andrew Green, an interrogator with a reputation fearsome enough for him to be known as a “beast in court”.

But in the end, it was quite possibly Prince Harry who will have left the court feeling better about the last couple of days. He’d finished his high-wire act without falling off. He hadn’t crumbled or got wound up or tetchy, he hadn’t been dragged into too many awkward questions, he’d stuck to his own lines. You couldn’t exactly say he’d been an eloquent witness, but he’d not walked into any traps.

But when the hearing was over, Prince Harry looked relieved and relaxed, chatting to his lawyers and those backing him in his battle against the tabloids, before heading downstairs to his waiting car.

It will be up to the judge to decide on balance who seems to be more convincing, the Mirror Group or Prince Harry and other claimants - and it’s quite possible that the result won’t be known until the autumn.

Harry’s becoming an “expert” in court - he’s a serial litigant:

I believe Harry , it must have been awful to feel the horrible media stalking ready to cut deeply just to fill their pockets with money. I believe he was hacked. I don’t know what he wants from all this , he is very disturbed because of what happened to his mum, but I hope he can make the changes . The media are horrible. Capable of a lot of bad things

1 Like

The media didn’t kill his mother .

What killed her was the fact that the driver was going too fast and she didn’t have a seat belt on . Diana had a good relationship with the press who she used for her own ends too .Jornalists are people too that have to make a living unlike Harry who has inherited wealth ,

Of course stalking is unacceptable but he has no evidence at all that he was stalked .
I am surprised his barrister has brought a case with no evidence .

Evidence, if their is none, does he expect the court to favour him just because his father is now King. Agree Susan, that individual photographers can be ruthless to get ‘the shot’ making a potential fortune for them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-67707931

Prince Harry victim of mobile phone hacking by MGN newspapers, judge rules

• The High Court rules Prince Harry was the victim of mobile phone hacking by Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN) and awards him £140,600 in damages
  • Mr Justice Fancourt says that his personal phone was targeted between 2003 and 2009
  • He says 15 of 33 sample articles were “the product of phone hacking … or the product of other unlawful information gathering"
  • He rules there was “extensive” phone hacking by Mirror Group Newspapers from 2006 to 2011
  • MGN issue a statement saying they “apologise unreservedly” where “historical wrongdoing took place”
  • Prince Harry and three others alleged phone-hacking and other unauthorised gathering of information by Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN)
  • The Prince is joined in his legal action by former Coronation Street actress Nikki Sanderson, comedian Paul Whitehouse’s ex-wife Fiona Wightman and actor Michael Turner, also known as Michael Le Vell

Well, that’ll make his day … :neutral_face:

1 Like

Prince Harry has been awarded 140,600 British pounds ($268,000) after London’s High Court ruled he fell victim to a British publishing group’s extensive phone-hacking.

His trial examined 33 stories published in MGN’s newspapers, which the prince alleged were the result of unlawful information gathering.

Good on ya Hazza!

1 Like

Got to agree.

And still that awful Piers Morgan is being a nasty mouthy Scunner, he lost, he needs to get over himself.
He denied it still, even though the judge says he did it.

1 Like

Hopefully there will be some actual criminal prosecutions of those involved in the commissioning of the phone tapping

Harry has been awarded an awful lot of money. I can’t post the link as something is wrong with my tablet and it refuses to let me post links. It’s on it’s last legs I think. I heed to be on the desk PC to get links.

According to the radio this morning it was only £140600 which doesn’t seem a lot for a multimillionaire. Presumably he will get his legal costs back too.

I guess it’s not a lot to himself but it’s a lot to me. :wink:

1 Like

Piers Morgan clearly annoyed and accused Prince Harry and the Duchess of planning to destroy the monarchy. When William is King, I doubt that will happen.

Me too but it is peanuts to him.

Harry is still fifth in line to the throne though isn’t he?

1 Like

You know what i like Harry and good on him for persuing what he knows happened. I know all the stuff about him etcetc but im glad hes broken away and living his own life . I hope he is happy . I dont like his wife but i wish Harry well .

3 Likes

Prince Harry will have to pay more than £48,000 in legal costs to the publishers of the Mail on Sunday, after losing part of a libel battle. It follows a failed attempt by his lawyers to strike out part of a defence against a libel claim he is bringing against the newspaper. The libel claim itself can still go ahead to a trial, to be heard between mid-May and the end of July next year.

The dispute relates to an article about Prince Harry’s security arrangements. The Mail on Sunday article had discussed changes to the prince’s publicly funded security that had happened after he had stopped being a working royal and had moved to the United States. In this long-running libel case, the prince has claimed the story falsely suggested he had “lied” and “cynically” tried to manipulate public opinion.

The headline said the duke had “tried to keep his legal fight with the government over police bodyguards a secret”, but that his “PR machine tried to put a positive spin on the dispute” after the story broke.

The prince’s lawyers had sought to throw out Associated Newspapers’ defence, arguing it had “no real prospect of success” - but in a ruling last week, the judge rejected this, saying that the case should go forward to a trial. Mr Justice Nicklin said the newspaper group’s argument that this was “honest opinion” had a “real prospect” of successfully defending the case. He also said there was a real prospect of the newspaper proving its side of a dispute over the timing of when Prince Harry first offered to make a private payment towards the cost of his police protection.

The libel claims will now be decided in a trial, expected to last three to four days. The costs in this part of the case, £48,447 to be paid this month, will be only a small fraction of the overall legal costs.

You win some, you lose some … :man_shrugging:

Indeed, King Henry and Queen Meghan. :prince: :person_with_crown:

The Duke of Sussex will receive a “substantial” payout for the remaining claims in his phone hacking case against Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN), his barrister told the High Court.

MGN will pay all of Prince Harry’s legal costs, beginning with an interim payment of £400,000.

In December, the duke was awarded £140,600 in damages after winning 15 claims against MGN.

The new settlement relates to unlawful intrusion claims on 115 more stories.

I doubt that we will ever know the exact amounts but I’m guessing £millions … good for Harry … :+1:

1 Like