Prince Harry and the memorial service

Yes, he has, but I think this would be the clincher and a wound that would be very hard hard to heal

Also, it’s his one chance to pay his respects and comfort his grandmother and if he misses it, he can’t go back and undo it and he’ll regret that in the future

I think Andrew should go, if that means no uniforms, so be it.

Although I think the Duke would have liked there to be uniforms and Andrew should suck it up and accept why he’d be one of the fe not wearing one

How many bishops does it take to read a few words from the Bible?
Ah, of course. Got to keep in with the Royals!

I agree, and allowing uniforms for all who are entitled to them (which excludes Andy) would make it clear why he isn’t wearing one!

1 Like

I wonder why Andrew walked the queen in , why didnt Charles walk her . Andrew could have just slipped in the side door quietly.

I like Harry and I’m not going to have a go as I dont know the reasons behind his absence . He may facetime his gran or ring her regularly we dont really know what goes on but it would have been good to have seen him there . The queen looks frail. She still had all her make up on good for her red lipstick too

2 Likes

I’m not sure if this memorial service was primarily a family event or more of a public service but I can’t see why there’s been a fuss about whether Harry attended or not - I thought he showed his respects and attended his grandad’s funeral, which I would have thought was the most important service for the family.

2 Likes

I rather admired the Queen for the Andrew thing

Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s a creep and a waste of air

But he’s her son whatever he’s done and she knows she won’t be around much longer to stand by him.

She probably fears for him after she’s gone and wanted to say “this is my son and I love him” in public. So he remembers he had at least one person on his side

She’s probably wrong to support him after the things he’s done, but I do understand it

8 Likes

Maree you’re lovely that’s a really generous attitude

4 Likes

Yes Maree that’s an interesting thought , I guess as parents we love our kids no matter what they do or have done . Thankyou for helping me see that in a different light .

2 Likes

I thought it was said the D of E didn’t want an ostentatious memorial something short and simple .
( by royal standards )

1 Like

Perhaps so, but wearing military uniforms needn’t be ostentatious.

It is when they are worn by the royals with chest full of medals .
It was a nice service .

I agree, especially when they wear dozens of them none ever having been awarded for actual military service - Charlie-boy’s for example. I think he wears them just so he doesn’t feel left out by those - even Randy Andy - who have actually earned them.

When I step out into the other land…
That distant shore where Mother has gone;
She’ll be standing there with a great, big smile,
Talking and flipping her apron
just like she always did.
It’ll be an exciting day up there when we hug and kiss,
I’ll tell her all that’s happened since she went away.
We’ll walk through the beautiful heavenly gardens,
And sit beside the lovely lanes to meet others that we know;
Then we’ll meet the Master and his Son,
And Mother will proudly introduce me,
"Master, This is MY son!"

4 Likes

You not only get medals for being in a war zone but there are also service medals awarded for length of service (every four years?)

What armed service has Charlie-boy ever served in?

RAF / Navy he was a helicopter pilot

When he was a child, I had a good feeling about Harry, which I didn’t get with William.

It’s incredibly sad that his wife calls the shots.

From memory he has been in both the RAF and the RN, he definitely commanded a mine hunter but also flew jet fighters I think.

He also crash landed a RAF plane and was found negligent so he gave up flying, that was after he left the service and might have been one of his mum’s RAF flight.

I watched a documentary last week about the Falklands conflict since it is 40 years since it happened (crumbs, how time flies). Am I imagining it but wasn’t Andrew a helicopter pilot who took part in it? Whether it was due to his current disgraced status or always the intentions of the program makers is unclear, but no reference was made to this fact.

No, it was fact. I was working close to HMQ at the time (Windsor Castle) and it was telling on her face about the concern she felt with him as a targeted pilot ferrying the injured from sinking ships to relative safety. The Royals have a private sitting room with large TV (The Oak Drawing Room) and it was known that she monitored all news bulletins as well as phone updates from those who kept track of our progress.
Whatever we think of him and his past, there is no escaping his input during the Falklands conflict.

1 Like