Prince Harry and the memorial service

Maree you’re lovely that’s a really generous attitude

4 Likes

Yes Maree that’s an interesting thought , I guess as parents we love our kids no matter what they do or have done . Thankyou for helping me see that in a different light .

2 Likes

I thought it was said the D of E didn’t want an ostentatious memorial something short and simple .
( by royal standards )

1 Like

Perhaps so, but wearing military uniforms needn’t be ostentatious.

It is when they are worn by the royals with chest full of medals .
It was a nice service .

I agree, especially when they wear dozens of them none ever having been awarded for actual military service - Charlie-boy’s for example. I think he wears them just so he doesn’t feel left out by those - even Randy Andy - who have actually earned them.

When I step out into the other land…
That distant shore where Mother has gone;
She’ll be standing there with a great, big smile,
Talking and flipping her apron
just like she always did.
It’ll be an exciting day up there when we hug and kiss,
I’ll tell her all that’s happened since she went away.
We’ll walk through the beautiful heavenly gardens,
And sit beside the lovely lanes to meet others that we know;
Then we’ll meet the Master and his Son,
And Mother will proudly introduce me,
"Master, This is MY son!"

4 Likes

You not only get medals for being in a war zone but there are also service medals awarded for length of service (every four years?)

What armed service has Charlie-boy ever served in?

RAF / Navy he was a helicopter pilot

When he was a child, I had a good feeling about Harry, which I didn’t get with William.

It’s incredibly sad that his wife calls the shots.

From memory he has been in both the RAF and the RN, he definitely commanded a mine hunter but also flew jet fighters I think.

He also crash landed a RAF plane and was found negligent so he gave up flying, that was after he left the service and might have been one of his mum’s RAF flight.

I watched a documentary last week about the Falklands conflict since it is 40 years since it happened (crumbs, how time flies). Am I imagining it but wasn’t Andrew a helicopter pilot who took part in it? Whether it was due to his current disgraced status or always the intentions of the program makers is unclear, but no reference was made to this fact.

No, it was fact. I was working close to HMQ at the time (Windsor Castle) and it was telling on her face about the concern she felt with him as a targeted pilot ferrying the injured from sinking ships to relative safety. The Royals have a private sitting room with large TV (The Oak Drawing Room) and it was known that she monitored all news bulletins as well as phone updates from those who kept track of our progress.
Whatever we think of him and his past, there is no escaping his input during the Falklands conflict.

1 Like

Yes, my apologies. I remember now that he commanded a mine hunter for a brief time. I don’t remember him flying jet fighters, though. I believe you have to have supernatural powers to be allowed to do that. Certainly Lightning pilots in the day were regarded as super-humans!

When your Mum is Commander in Chief you can pretty much do what you want.

2 Likes

Which neatly brings us full circle back to Andrew.

And what about Edward. I don’t remember, but does he ever wear any medals?
Perhaps he was awarded one for completing half of the RM training course.

1 Like

I can’t post piccies. Googling him, there are images of him wearing uniform at times.

Boy Scouts?
Girl Guides?

Actually, he’s on here wearing the uniform of the London Scottish Regiment
Trooping the Colour Uniforms and Medals Meanings | PEOPLE.com
I’m not sure exactly what they do, but I’m sure they’re not an active regiment.
Still, it’s nice that he’s managed to procure a uniform from somewhere!