Price of concert tickets

I was looking to book tickets to see AC/DC at Wembley until I saw the price (£300)

I know most probably it would be the last time to see them but cost of tickets/travel/digs, I’d be talking close to a grand

The most I’ve paid for a concert ticket is £170 which I still think is too much.

4 Likes

Last few concerts I’ve been to have been for the wife and had to pay extortionate amounts just to get a seat which is usually far away from the stage to really see anything.

Some years ago, I used to go to quite a few concerts to see bands and I used to think it was expensive back then, although I had to factor in travel and hotels. I shudder to think what I’d have to pay nowadays to see a live band. Unfortunately, many of the bands I used to see are no longer performing (retired/split up) unless I want to see a “take off” band, which I’m thinking about maybe later in the year.

The problem with tickets is most of them get taken up with these ticket sellers who up the price as far as they can get away with. So you spend something like £500 on a £50 ticket, for example, if not more. I really wish there was some regulation and control regarding this, as this is denying fans of the band from seeing the show.

Prices have increased significantly over the last couple of years. I looked at Greenday prices and those were ridiculous.

Easier sticking to local bands these days

1 Like

I had no idea tickets had rocketed to those kind of prices.

Ha! Peanuts - people are paying over $7000 for some tickets to see Taylor Swift in Melbourne and Sydney according to the news.

4 million people tried to get one of 630000 tickets for her tour.

1 Like

Bleedin hell … that’s madness.

Not all bands are so expensive, just seems to be the big acts that prices have been hiked up

Some folk just have to much money I guess

Went see a few groups in the past, Status Quo twice, Hollies, Searches, Jerry and the Pacemakers, Four Tops, Jimmy Ruffin etc, can’t ever remember them being that expensive, but as you probably guessed, it was a while ago. Apart from most of the modern day acts being crap, I’m getting a bit too old to be shuffled around in crowds, drinking horrible warm beer, and risk catching covid. And most of the people I loved to watch and listen to have mostly died now…

There’s no way I’d pay silly money to see big names performing, don’t care who they are!
I remember seeing the likes of Blondie and The Ramones at The Hammersmith Odeon back in the 70’s…both affordable and great fun!!

pa_322_med-280684592
42e72993df6867addfb5585d15d37698-2910506526

1 Like

I’ve paid £93 to see The Corrs in November up on a balcony about as far from the stage as it’s possible to get.
I won’t pay that much normally but as it’s them…
I try to avoid arenas as they cost a small fortune.
St David’s Hall in Cardiff,currently closed,seem to have shows that are much cheaper.
Suzi Quatro for a show that didn’t happen because it got closed, was £55 and I thought that was a bit steep!
And their shows out of the main arena are can be very cheap.
I saw Kitty MacFarlane for £10 and The Carravick Sisters for £12.
Folk acts if you haven’t heard of them.

I try to stick to smaller venues and tribute acts can be cheap.
I’m seeing a Glam Rock show tomorrow that cost £29.50,ELO Again (Again) for under £30 in April,a production of Evita for £15 in March by the local youth theatre group,a Bee Gees tribute show in May-again under £30 and a show dedicated to The Searchers ,equally cheap in October.
But the actual real artists?
When Elton John appeared in Cardiff on his farewell tour the cheapest tickets were about £285.Didn’t go.
I won’t go and see Elvis Costello because the cheapest tickets for his Cardiff show are over £100.
But I did see Al Stewart at a smaller venue pre-Covid and that was under £40.Very sensible.
I know artists have to hire the venues and then set ticket prices accordingly but the only way to stop high prices is for folk to collectively refuse to buy them.

2 Likes

On this evening’s news they had interviews with people who are attending the Taylor Swift concert tomorrow night at the Olympic Stadium. What was interesting was a few people interviewed from the USA and Canada who had tickets and said it was cheaper than going to see her in North America.

My son went to a Blink182 concert last week and told me he paid over $260 for their tickets a very long way from the stage.

2 Likes

Even football was affordable back then;)

1 Like

And the games were more interesting too Tambos.

Imagine VAR back then:)

1 Like

Showaddywaddy are coming to Cardiff-£37.50.
Not all artists are ripping you off.

It’s more the booking agencies who do the ripping off, not the actual artists.

I didn’t realise they were still alive, let alone still putting on a show:)

1 Like

Paid £85 for Elton’s final tour. Highest price ever I paid.

1 Like

I think we have to take into account the devaluation of the pound over the years (less for your quid) and although people complain about being skint and moan about energy prices, they do seem to waste an awful lot of money on gadgets and trivial things these days…

I would have paid that to see him…

1 Like