Plants that purify the air - which ones have you got?

Studies by NASA prove certain plants help keep the air in your house cleaner and increase oxygen levels. More general studies over time have shown that plants help us to: Have fewer headaches and coughs and feel less tired.

I found out about these on my recent break to Thorsby Hall. We visited Welbeck garden centre one day & there they were.
My friend Jean & I both bought a Dracaena which I have placed in the bedroom.

Now I plan on getting a lot more for all over the house.

1 Like

Very interesting Carol, I may invest in a couple of those plants on my next visit to the Garden Centre.:slight_smile:

Thanks for the link.

1 Like

We’ve been interested in this for a while and have several air cleaning plants in each room, TBH I haven’t noticed much difference. Either means our air was clean to start with or they don’t work I guess :wink:

1 Like

I’ve got 2 Spider Plants, and 5 Aloe’s indoors.

I keep my Aloes to soothe the awful insect bites I get every summer, plus any scalds/burns/skin irritations for both me and my dogs.
These plants make young baby plantlets all the time, so it is really easy to increase your stock if you wanted more.

1 Like

They are good for minor burns too I find, those I touched the oven shelf as I got the baking tray out of the oven times.

1 Like

I’ve just ordered some!

I ordered this list by Total µg/h of formaldehyde removed as that’s one of the biggest offenders in the home and ordered a bunch of them from Amazon (it was 15% off if you order 4 or more).

I shall let you know how I get on. Anyone else got any?

Here’s what I ordered:

Dracaena fragrans Surprise

Ficus benjamina Danielle - Weeping Fig

Sansevieria Black Coral - Snake Plant

Nephrolepis Boston Fern

Chamaedorea Elegan

Monstera Swiss Cheese Plant

Strelitzia nicolai - White Bird of Paradise

Is there a plant that will do the vacuuming?

They used to call that Mother in Laws tongue but I don’t suppose it’s allowed now.

It is still called Mother in Law’s Tongue here as far as I can tell, it is almost indestructible

It is … the easiest way to kill it is to over water it. I managed to kill mine. :confused:

You must have a very special touch then because these live in water. :slight_smile:

Actually I said elsewhere that I don’t have any indoor plants, I lied. I had forgotten about these that a friend/visitor stuck in a jug on my kitchen window sill. They get no nutrient I just keep them topped up with water but they have been there since the middle of last year. The marvellous thing about them is that they were originally just the “leaves” but they have grown roots and multiplied.

To be fair the rest live outdoors in the ground and do much better.