Can you soak/clean plant pots in bleach?

My plants have arrived, and the only spare pots I’ve got have been out in the garden for a while! Can you clean these with bleach?

I hope so, because they are sitting in bucketful of it atm :lol:

The best thing you can use for cleaning pots is Jeys Fluid mixed with plenty of water of course it won’t harm the plants later on I would never put the pots in bleach.

1 Like

Of course you CAN, as you have demonstrated but “SHOULD you” is the question.

1 Like

Thanks both!

Guess we’ll have to see what happens, I soaked them in warm water with bleach for an hour, then washed them with washing up liquid, then soaked them in warm water with white vinegar, then washed them again. Fingers crossed they’re ok (they don’t smell of bleach).

Now I just need to read up on how to care for these plants :lol:

1 Like

If the pots are plastic, providing you rinse them thoroughly with plain water after the bleach / vinegar treatment, they should be fine.

If the pots are made from clay / terracotta, it’s best to rinse and fully soak them in plain water for at least 10 minutes after soaking in bleach or vinegar, to remove any bleach / vinegar solution left in the pores of the clay before using them.

1 Like

I don’t think they’re porous Boot (they are stoneware pots) so I think (hope!) I should be ok :smiley:

1 Like

Yes you can!

1 Like